New hopeful

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_3

New person here just saying hi. Just sent off my application today Probably got a substantial wait ahead I know.

I declared an occasion when I was arrested for assault when I was 14 following a playground fight. I can't even remember if I was charged or not as it was 29 years ago. I'm pretty sure the witnesses backed my version of events. Is something like that an issue?

Is something like that an issue?
Probably not but you need to be fully honest on the application. We were all 14 once but in my day no one involved the cops. So welcome to the forum and I hope it all goes well for you. Feel free to post here while you're waiting for your ticket as we have a lot of accumulated knowledge between us.

I'm not in the UK so I can't comment on your statute of limitations, but 29 yrs ago seems like a lot of time. The clean-slate requirements here go back eight years, or so I believe, although any conviction for a capital offence would show up for much longer and would likely prevent issuance of a permit. I think you did the right thing in declaring any youthful allegations / indiscretion and hope that the constable thinks the same. Enjoy the forum!

So I had my interview on Friday. He said everything looks fine and the paperwork needs to be signed off by his boss. Thing is, they haven't called my reference yet!! Is this normal?

So I had my interview on Friday. He said everything looks fine and the paperwork needs to be signed off by his boss. Thing is, they haven't called my reference yet!! Is this normal?
They only called my reference once they'd done the home visit. Probably took 2 weeks after the visit before it was all finalised and in receipt.

I received my licence 4 years ago, just before they introduced the medical checks. I appreciate things have been tightened up since then, as my reference wasn't even contacted. From the BBC news today it's soon to be more than a med check and a reference, my local authority are now giving a questionnaire out to our significant others.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cm5rljxy3p5o

I guess it depends on your FEO. Mine (Derbyshire) spoke to the referee before the interview.

My experience of the process in general is it very much depends on the particular person who happens to be dealing with your application as to how they go about doing it. Your story is fairly similar to mine in fact I was the same age too. I put everything down he mentioned it along the lines of we where all young etc and you are hardly likely to have been caught being a little bit of an arse at 14 then manage to still be being an arse for 12 years and no one notice 😂

3 weeks since my Interview. No certificate as yet and my reference still hasn't been called. Is it acceptable to call them do you think or should I just be patient?

Last edited:
Back