moving fore hand

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not all people can hold the far end of the forend.
I cant tell you how difficult it is not to reply to this thread and this particular post :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I always hold close to the action,but thats just what i have got used to,the missing in front that clever mentions is something that is far to familiar with me especially on rabbits.

nicola yes not all people can get there arm forward easily enough, but if you can its another tool in the box .

ed i think thats half my problem,i do the same thing on everything and not mixing it up is why there is a big hole my scores
Hi Paul, sorry I missed this. If you find you are consistently in front of bunnies moving your hand might help a little, but far more likely to help is addressing your hold point which is much more often the root of the problem. Pull the hold point further out towards the kill point (not by a foot or two, try say 10ft to start with- you can always work it back) which will slow the gun speed right down and hopefully help the problem. Maybe combine this with your hand further down the for end (if possible/comfortable) but not essential.

Hope that makes sense.

Ed

But this only works with a Krieghoff. They are different y know. :)

I have lately become a twonk with rabbits after being a good bunny basher for some time. I suddenly realise that I have fallen back into swinging through them sometimes. For ME I found that I made them much easier and 'repeat killable' by a slow pull away method. Put the muzzle on the rabbit and travel with it. If its close that is enough. With distance, just ease out in front a touch - but hold the gap, not whizz away- then shoot. I loved this system. Don't know why I have recently stopped doing it!

If I keep my gun long enough, the barrels will have a shinny thumb print where it touches the same place every time I shoot!!!

So, you have a fast crosser needing loads of gun speed followed by a slow rabbit or vise versa, are you going to slide your hand up and down the forend in between shots?!?!

So, you have a fast crosser needing loads of gun speed followed by a slow rabbit or vise versa, are you going to slide your hand up and down the forend in between shots?!?!
In some instances yes. More likely if fast crosser is first as you will have loads of time to adjust for rabbit- not so much the other way round.

In some instances yes. More likely if fast crosser is first as you will have loads of time to adjust for rabbit- not so much the other way round.
So, you get used to this sliding forehand technic on fast-slow combinations, then you turn up at a shoot where the course setter likes to catch out all the sliders with slow-fast combinations...would it not be better to master controlling gun speed(s) with your forehand locked into the one most comfortable possition?

I suspect he doesn't know a single one, but hundreds would have understood his humour.

My tongue was firmly 'in cheek' Hammster...

Not often do I move my forehand, generally move it closer to the action on driven and below feet crossers, other than that prety much fixed toward the end of the forend (monkey arms). I find the gun a little unsteady if I move my hand too close to the action on a steady/long target.

I move my hand back toward the action for driven targets, I think it was advice from someone to stop me 'running out' of swing to get in front of the target. It does help. 

you sporting lot like to confuse matters, different cartridges, different chokes and now different hand positions ??

you sporting lot like to confuse matters, different cartridges, different chokes and now different hand positions ??
Black clays, green clays, smaller clays, sideways flight lines, over your head. Not to mention the choice of wellie boots we need. It's all go in the life of a sporting shooter. :)

Thing is Robert, surely were to place your forehand on your forend is just another thing to mess with your head, I always hold my forend in the same place and it has never effected my shooting.

Ian

Its like sex - variety is the spice of life!  :)

Poor old trap shooters!!   :.:
Yes Robert, when I get a bit fed up with OT and want a bit of a change, I go and shoot something totally different like........................BALL TRAP!!!!! :laugh:

Latest posts

Back