lookin forward to gettin into the swing of the game season

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nigel

I'm really looking forward to my start of the game season, this year it's a bit slow for me as I lost my 4 year old Cocker last January to some disease called liptosporus — he went down within 24 hrs and there was nothing the vet could do for him, I bought a top quality bread B&W ESS dog who will be a year old next month, he's retrieving brilliantly and he loves water but at the minute steering him is not good enough yet to send him out for blind retrieves, if he see's the retrieve that's no problem but I wouldn't be happy shootin bird that he didn't see incase he couldn't get to it, he did well at the pigeons on the few days I had him out, he sat brilliantly with no running in and he he pick up a few blind shoots but I just couldn't take him out to the ducks yet especially in the dark as I wouldn't want to shoot a Mallard or Teal for it to be lost, he's only a pup who hasn't even had the chance to get a scent on game yet, the pheasants around my dad's will be out this week and I hope to get him hunting on their scent to get him going, I always had it in my head I'd have no dog to rely on until at least Christmas time this year but I'll see what happens soon when he gets a proper hunt, I've a 7 month old Cocker pup too who's made keen on hunting but he's a little unsure about water just yet but he's getting there slowly – I'm not goin to ruin either pup by rushing them I'll take it easy and see hoe they get on. My main interest in game shooting is Woodcock shootin, to me there is nothin like it, the hunt the flush and the shot very rarley will two shots ever be the same, I've had the chance of the elusive Left & Right over the years but I've haven't got it Yet but I'm confidently hopeful I will maybe even this year. I wish every one who lifts their gun at a game bird a successful season and Please read my signature below /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gifNigel/wp-content/forum-image-uploads/nigel/bud-murf.jpg                                                   if it's not a sporting shot don't take it

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking forward to my trip back to UK on September 30th for the weekend. Can't wait to pop down the local shoot and get out in the countryside and hopefully have a few shots. Getting excited now only 16 Days to go!It definitely makes you appreciate things even more when you are away for sometime! Glen.

Yep roll on october, Feeders are full, plenty about and have seen a few english partridge poults kicking around over the summer. All it needs is the ducks and geese to show up in december and its all good/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif Fuzrat

It needs to flood down there first by the river and then I am sure there will be a few kicking around!Have you seen any snipe about yet down there?I shot a great snipe down there a few years back in fact I think I shot my first ever snipe there!/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gifI shot my first ever english partridge there as well we used to see a lot down there a few years back.Really when you think about it, for a small little shoot you don't realise how lucky you are!I am really looking forward to just getting out for the stroll and fire the odd shot if I am lucky! /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

I can't wait either. 6th October is my first day on partridge.Nige like you I love woodcock and have been lucky enough to have a few right and lefts over the years (but in order to join the club you need witnesses :) bit difficult when you are spread all over woods on a phessy or partridge drive etc) it is one of the most exciting forms of shooting known to man. My best times for the chance of fast woodcock have been on Watership Down, Menai Straits and LLandegla........now you see them now you don't ...through the trees. Not yet had chance to shoot them in Ireland. All the new birds are out now and the sad thing at this time of the year is the people who use our small lanes and drive into the young birds who are still learning to fly and are still feathering up. It really pisses me off. Last year I chased a neighbouring farmer who ran his landy and sheep trailer over about 12 that did not move quickly enough. He is a known anti and the ensuing horn blasts and argument could be heard fields away. Hey Matt, I have just noticed we now have 'spell check'.............brilliant.....I will not look thick anymore/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif

Someone needs to explain this 'right and left' thing... Hey Nic - happy to oblige!

Matt, a right and left is shooting a pair of in this case woodcock. It goes back to the side by side days i suppose these days an under and over would fit the bill better. 2 shots 2 birds without breaking the gun inbetween. do that on woodcock and you can join the woodcock club and have a swanky tie and a slap up meal with your fellow lucky b**gers. Have a look here explains it all far better than me! http://www.shootingtimes.co.uk/woodcock Fuzrat

Only if it is witnessed /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cry.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cry.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cry.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cry.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cry.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cry.gif

yeah it has to be witnessed – not a bad thing or everyone would be in the club,  I've have a couple of pretty special shots the most recent being last November in the moss at the bottom of our front field, I was huntin on my own with my cocker Sweep, I was using my Browning Gold Sporting clays semi, anyway the dog put up a woodcock and I shot it but before I could get reloaded a pigeon flew over and I shot it and again without gettin a chance to reload he put up a cock pheasant so I shot it too, so that was 3 different birds with 3 single shots without gettin to reload and without even moving my feet, I was so chuffed at my achievement I picked them all up and back up to my Dads house up the fields all within 15 minutes of starting. Over the years I've been out with friends shootin ducks and I've shot 4/4 with my old Beretta 302, I've shot 3 pigeons with one shot decoying too but that's it from me But boy would I like to shot a Left & Right woodcock this year  
gun.gif
Nige  

Last edited by a moderator:
Brilliant that Nige, I would have loved to see that..... 3 different without moving or reloading, I bet you were hoping nothing else got up /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif or you could only throw a cartridge at it and hope to knock it out.......sling shot style/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gifThese sort of things are great memories. I hope you put it in your game book!!! 

Not particularly sporting or even legal but, My Grandad was always fond of telling us how he shot 5 partridges with 1 shot with his folding .410. "I laid down in a furrow and crawled up on them, waited til they were all in a row then pop, 5 with 1 shot"  This was between the wars. Poaching of course but that was what you did with 6 kids to feed back then. Used to buy his cartridges from the local pub, 1 at a time if he was hard up!/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif Fuzrat

Latest posts

Back