Longthorne

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nohoper

Hi guys has anyone tried tested or own a Longthorne gun if so any comments or problems to be wary of thanks any info appreciated

Johnny Carter has one and has a number of pretty in depth videos on it being made and fitted etc. Longthorne are one of the TGS channel sponsors though so there might be some bias in there, but I doubt it.

I'm lusting after one of their Valhalla triggerplate guns but that'll remain a dream for me for the foreseeable.

Have you watched any of the TGS films?

A mate of mine bought a sportier off them. I went with him twice for the fittings and Jim the owner could not have been more helpful.

My friend is delighted with the gun and has had absolutely no problems with it during the year or so he’s had it shooting twice a week on average.

I was really intrigued when they first appeared. I also have no personal experience of them. Important to state that.

Positives as I see it; they look lovely and as an engineer I really get the single piece barrel manufacturing concept. 

I only know one Longthorne owner who just tells a tale of terrible woes with the gun reliability and the attitude and service from Longthorne. He got rid and lost a fortune. Again, I stress this is not my experience personally. I handled a couple a few years ago and they really weren’t clay shooting guns. As a company I really don’t think they are focussed on competition guns, so more of a game shooting purchase I would imagine. Things may have changed. 

Thanks for all the links some very interesting reading and a lot of information to digest

If someone gives you and your m8 a free or heavily discounted gun, of course you going to sing it's praises  😉😄

I know someone that shoots one. Had issues with ejector timing. Been back to the factory more than once.

Johnny Carter has one and has a number of pretty in depth videos on it being made and fitted etc. Longthorne are one of the TGS channel sponsors though so there might be some bias in there, but I doubt it.

I'm lusting after one of their Valhalla triggerplate guns but that'll remain a dream for me for the foreseeable.

Have you watched any of the TGS films?
A bit late to the party. I've actually shot JCs Longthorne with the game stock on it, as the sporting one got damaged on his trip back from the US (customs issue, not a build issue!)

It has *the nicest* top lever action, insanely smooth and the best I've felt on any gun. Ever. It's just effortless and is a testament to amazing engineering.

I shot it well, low recoil, although I am not a huge fan of the game stock. It's a pretty gun and is everything you'd expect from a premium gun, and if I had the budget I'd seriously consider owning one. I should have asked to feel the.... griptech stock? I can't remember what it's called, but that kidney checkering looks insanely good.

I'd say any gun with a stock made to measure, and all hand finished was going to be a beaut of a gun. I would say he's not loving it because it's sponsored/loaned/given, he is loving it as it is a magnificent gun that is really effortless. 

Not as fun as his Cosmi though.... now that is funnnnnnn! :D 

I've shot 2 Longthornes, one a 'standard' sporter, can't remember the name but it was a lovely gun to shoot.

But the one that really got me was the titanium gun, light with a polished rib the went invisible with the reflection of the sky. all you had to do was focus on the clay and it broke. A truly lovely gun to shoot but way out of my budget.  I think it was better part of 30k or in that region..  If i win the lottery..........

I made enquiries before ordering another Perazzi back in the spring of 2022 - final delivery next week.

1) On a Longthorne a selectable trigger is a cost option on all the actions - wasn't mentioned in the price-list.

2) It's a personal taste thing but I'm not a fan of seeing domed pivot trunnions sticking out the side of the action on a £15k+ gun.   To my mind that's not elegant engineering when, with a bit more effort, that could be concealed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've shot 2 Longthornes, one a 'standard' sporter, can't remember the name but it was a lovely gun to shoot.

But the one that really got me was the titanium gun, light with a polished rib the went invisible with the reflection of the sky. all you had to do was focus on the clay and it broke. A truly lovely gun to shoot but way out of my budget.  I think it was better part of 30k or in that region..  If i win the lottery..........
At Willow Farm?  I tried three.  Weird as it was, I couldn't seem to miss with the titanium one and also shot well with one of the game sideplates.  The one I most liked the look of was a more standard boxlock, but I didn't like it as much, balance was off for me and seemed nose heavy.  Having just invested in a custom stock for my current gun, I'm pretty much committed to that for now, but I like the idea of having a british made gun and might look at them again in the future.

Back