Left handed and adjustable stocks

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gene Holmes

This may seem a bit obvious, but I thought this would be the best place to get a number of opinions.

I shoot left handed and currently share a L/H B525 with Mrs H (who is also L/H)

This was the ideal situation,as we had both just recently taken up shooting and it meant least amount of expense while we figured out if we were going to really get into this shooting mularky.

So after a couple of shoots, surprise, surprise we're both hooked and shooting regularly.

It's been almost a year, we are booking lessons, getting eyes tested, entering comps, and now is the time to look for a second gun. No way am I getting the 525, Mrs H likes it so much I will have force it from her cold dead hands. So I have to look for a new one.

Being the cheapskate that I am, I start looking for a second hand gun. Which also means I could get a better gun for my money.

Thousands of R/H guns out there, but the L/H market is very limited, even when looking for deal on a new one.

I read on another thread concerning the Browning Ultra XS. That it wouldn't matter if you got a R/H one with the adjustable stock if you were a leftie,

This is where I get a bit confused. I thought only the comb was adjustable for height, not cast?

So it all boils down to .

1. Can the adjustable stock on a R/H Utra XS be configured for a leftie.

2. I have seen some r/h guns advertised that have been converted to l/h. Is this an option, and how much does it cost.

ta very much

Most adjustable stocks allow movement of the comb left and right and up and down, some RH stocks have a palm swell which when using left handed can feel a little odd, but it's not the end of the world.

When I first started. I shot a lot of different, borrowed/club, guns. which is also where I found I didn't get on with Berettas. They just felt too slim. 

They were all R/H and I used to get a bit of pain in my shoulder.

Since I got the L/H 525, the butt now fits nicely into my shoulder and no more pain.

It would be nice to find a solution, as there is so much more choice in R/H.

It'll all depend on your budget, I wouldn't get too hung up on it... there's adjustable everything available.. complete stocks/ comb kits/ recoil pads as long as the gun isn't massively cast for a right hand shooter near enough will be good enough.

By the same token S/H L/H guns sit on dealer shelves longer which should give you a better bargaining position.

I know very little about woodwork, but apparently they can steam the wood to adjust the cast.

Is this something that happens often?

I know very little about woodwork, but apparently they can steam the wood to adjust the cast.

Is this something that happens often?
Some use steam some use hot oil. Quite handy if like me you are wide in the frame...:blink:

Some use steam some use hot oil. Quite handy if like me you are wide in the frame... :blink:
A wide frame could be one way of describing it  :biggrin:

Is it an expensive operation?

Just thinking, if I got a good deal on a R/H gun, it might be worth having this done.

If I remember rightly I paid around £120 for the stock to be cast. I can only suggest you find a reputable gunsmith with experience in stock work and have a chat, dont know where you live, im sure plenty of people on here could point you in the wright direction.:huh:

If I remember rightly I paid around £120 for the stock to be cast. I can only suggest you find a reputable gunsmith with experience in stock work and have a chat, dont know where you live, im sure plenty of people on here could point you in the wright direction. :huh:
I'm Herts. Hitchin area.

There is a guy in Harlington whose name escapes me, that a lot of people I know highly recommend.

My dad is left handed and shoots an mk38 grade V right handed with an adjustable comb and gets on just fine, only problem is that the toe is set the wrong way and comes into his body rather than outwards. But it isn't the end of the world and he manages fine. Worth trying one in a shop for feel first.

Going to have a look at a mk38 next week.

It's a rh so ill see how I get on.

Also talking to a local gunsmith re fitting and altering the cast.

After looking at a couple of mk38 recently, I found the right handed stocks to be almost straight so cant see why left hand casting would be a problem apart from palm swells..good luck.

After looking at a couple of mk38 recently, I found the right handed stocks to be almost straight so cant see why left hand casting would be a problem apart from palm swells..good luck.
Yep mines pretty straight with not a lot of toe on it. Probably why it fits me so well, my shoulders are so narrow I could walk out of a jail cell without even turning sideways :laugh:

My MK38 is RH cast but it is only very slight (as I believe most of them are - they were never made in LH cast so I am told) and makes no difference to me as a lefty.

That said I have enquired about having the stock straightened, just to remove that little niggle at the back of my brain, and have been quoted about £60 from 2 places now.

Latest posts

Back