Lead or Steel?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any shooting ground/club that permits the use of steel, should include this in their risk assessment - see CPSA safety manual.

There may come a day when UK grounds will have to clean up (reclaim) their lead - steel shot will make this a longer/difficult process.

Shooters..... check that your barrels are proofed for using steel - your problem.

At BB, we have banned the use of steel shot..... our ground, our decision!

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Steel for skeet and have shot tens of thousands of them without issue.  When I was shooting 20k+ a year the cost saving per thou paid for 7 practice rounds.

For everything else I use lead.

Jon.

I use Steel for skeet and have shot tens of thousands of them without issue.  When I was shooting 20k+ a year the cost saving per thou paid for 7 practice rounds.

For everything else I use lead.

Jon.
I am surprised you are still alive using steel for skeet....................................................................

JonSkeetAdmin,

Correct me if my numbers are wrong .

If you shot 20K cartridges a year you actually saved enough to do 7 practice rounds?

7x £5 = £35 ! So effectively spending about £3000 on cartridges plus about £5600 on entry fees (averaged) you saved £35 ! Whoopy do .

Where do you buy these ricocheting, barrel gouging little gems?

Hull Intercomp HV 28g 9's were £200 a thou, Gamebore Super Steel 24g 9's were £115 a thou and the 28's about £124

We were buying 10k at a time direct from Gamebore via a club account (cost + a club contribution).

Therefore saving £85 per thou, multiplied by 20 comes to £1700 on my abacus.  The saving was PER THOU, if it was per 20 thou I'd still be using Intercomps.

There are at least 2 other members on here that were shooting with me using steel and we have never experienced any issues.

Jon.

For me the essential problem with steel is that the rational for its use is total BS.  I cop to being a concerned environmentalist but the lead in the pond killing the ducks and geese is just a fantasy.  Sh+te science passed off as truth.

And I would never put it thru one of my guns.  We have lost clubs here that were forced to steel or closed.  Several just closed but there is still one that is steel only.  I have no idea how they survive.

Charlie,

Surely that cannot be true that a Californian flies in the face of the truth and denies that Lead was responsible for killing all those Snow Geese on the Western Flyaway and killing all those Bald Eagles ?

Funny that , but possibly true, as all the Bald Eagles that were in captivity in Bush Gardens were there as a result of Road Traffic Accidents.

That's it guys , let's ban the car!

Latest posts

Back