Last day of dodgy vision

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck Gene I know you'll be very impressed by Ed's thoroughness and professionalism. Depending on what Ed picks up don't expect to immediately go out and shoot 100 straight as soon as you've got your new glasses.

Ed changed a lot on my prescription and it is does take a while for your eyes to adjust. It has also changed my timing as I see the target a lot quicker and more clearly. I have worn mine twice now and each time I have started off badly but ended up doing far better on the later targets.

I had laser surgery 5 years ago after wearing specs for nearly 40 years.

The results were amazing and never had a problem until I started shooting.

The problem being I'm a leftie and they trimmed my left eye for reading, so no clear distance vision in my left eye.

Also right eye dominant and red/green colour blind

In the bike world, I would be classed as a basket case  :biggrin:   :biggrin:

I had laser surgery 5 years ago after wearing specs for nearly 40 years.

The results were amazing and never had a problem until I started shooting.

The problem being I'm a leftie and they trimmed my left eye for reading, so no clear distance vision in my left eye.

Also right eye dominant and red/green colour blind

In the bike world, I would be classed as a basket case  :biggrin:   :biggrin:
I'm sure Ed will be able to help. I know someone who had laser surgery ,before he had it he was quite a good shot. He didn't shoot for about 18 months afterwards and when he did go he couldn't hit a thing.

Eventually the penny dropped and when I got him to do an eye dominance check the surgery had made him left eye dominant, dimmed left eye and hey presto he could shoot again.

Ed sent me a couple of photos he took during my consultation.

If ever there was a way of highlighting just how far eye dominance can affect you.

I'm left handed, but right eye dominant, so have to squint/close right eye just before pulling the trigger.

In one photo. With both eyes open, my right eye is lined up perfectly with the bead, but the gun is pointing into the room next door.

With my new corrected specs, the left eye is in line with the bead and gun is pointing at the camera.

Hopefully they will arrive before the weekend and I can try them out for real.

A picture tells the story much better than I can

post-1839-0-61583800-1376572265.jpg

post-1839-0-98235100-1376572271.jpg

Attachments

• eye1.jpg
    eye1.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 0
  • eye2.jpg
    eye2.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 0
Should hopefully be with you tomorrow! There will be a period of adaptation to the influx of information coming from the second eye but as we found it will equate to an excellent standard of vision and improved depth perception.

Team that with Ed Solomons tuition, winner!

Should hopefully be with you tomorrow! There will be a period of adaptation to the influx of information coming from the second eye but as we found it will equate to an excellent standard of vision and improved depth perception.

Team that with Ed Solomons tuition, winner!
Nothing like a bit of pressure then. On Ed that is. :hunter:

Second picture.

Anyone else thinking 'Silence Of The Lambs'?

post-1321-0-97614600-1376578429.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
So I finally got to try out my new Oakleys at the weekend, and and bloody hell, I can now see what I'm shooting at.

Got my PB at the local club on Sunday, 49/70 and then 15/40 at a tricky shoot at the Fennland Country Fair.

also tried Clay Snooker for the first time.

it's taking a while to getting used to seeing a really clear target, rather than a blurred mess, and it's almost as if I think the target is closer than it actually is, so leed is all messed up.

But so much better than before.

Thanks Ed

So I finally got to try out my new Oakleys at the weekend, and and bloody hell, I can now see what I'm shooting at.

Got my PB at the local club on Sunday, 49/70 and then 15/40 at a tricky shoot at the Fennland Country Fair.

it's taking a while to getting used to seeing a really clear target, rather than a blurred mess, and it's almost as if I think the target is closer than it actually is, so leed is all messed up.

Thanks Ed
Once you get used to them your scores will really start to improve. It's taken me 3 weeks to really get used to mine. On Sunday I shot 38x40 on the first four stands at The Robin Hood shoot. I am absolutely certain that I could not have got any where near this without my new glasses. One of the stands was a sim pair of teal, a midi and standard, with orange clays against a brilliant blue sky. This is just the sort of target that I would previously have struggled with but I shot 9x10 just missing one of the midis.

Although I didn't do as well on the last 3 stands I still ended up with 56x70 which I was fairly happy with as 61x70 won it outright.

Good luck!! Things will definitely get better!! :nyam:

Thanks Ed
I did the same shoot. I'm glad you thought it was tricky. I thought it was just me being a bit rubbish! Glad your specs suit you.

Thanks Ed
I am now 2 months or so in to shooting with prescription lenses. (Had some ups and downs with which ones but that is a side-story. Due to consult with Ed Lyons to nail it). Anyway, as above, perfect vision for me now and it was great for the first shoot I did. Then.. fell off a vertical cliff. Can't get within 10-15 of scores I was putting in previously! Almost at the 'how much are golf clubs' stage.
I think I have a hideous cocktail of new things that are killing me. I can see the muzzle (not a good thing even though I'm not staring at it), clays look nearer and larger than they are and the relationship between clay and muzzle is now so clear that I am studying it. Worst of all is that I now know that I have some issues, which is in itself a distraction and possibly has created the biggest issue; mind porridge.

My deteriorating (long sighted) vision has to be overcome, so there is no going back to non-prescription, but jeez I am in a slump while I rationalise / relearn / adjust.

My advice to anybody with vision issues would be to sort it early, to avoid a big change like I am experiencing.

I did the same shoot. I'm glad you thought it was tricky. I thought it was just me being a bit rubbish! Glad your specs suit you.
I went round with a few friends, 2 of which are A class shots. One got 17 the other 28.

There were a couple of 9s a 14 and 19 in our group, and like I say, I got 15.

Not an easy one.

Did you try the snooker and the black powder?

I am now 2 months or so in to shooting with prescription lenses. (Had some ups and downs with which ones but that is a side-story. Due to consult with Ed Lyons to nail it). Anyway, as above, perfect vision for me now and it was great for the first shoot I did. Then.. fell off a vertical cliff. Can't get within 10-15 of scores I was putting in previously! Almost at the 'how much are golf clubs' stage.

I think I have a hideous cocktail of new things that are killing me. I can see the muzzle (not a good thing even though I'm not staring at it), clays look nearer and larger than they are and the relationship between clay and muzzle is now so clear that I am studying it. Worst of all is that I now know that I have some issues, which is in itself a distraction and possibly has created the biggest issue. Mind porridge.

My fading (long sighted) vision has to be overcome, so there is no going back to non-prescription, but jeez I am in a slump while I rationalise / relearn / adjust.

My advice to anybody with vision issues would be to sort it early, to avoid a big change like I am experiencing.
I'm not aware of the muzzle (but now I bet I start to look for it )

The main thing was the clarity. After a year of shooting at black fuzzy things. The clarity was amazing. but did screw up my distance perception a bit.

I went round with a few friends, 2 of which are A class shots. One got 17 the other 28.

There were a couple of 9s a 14 and 19 in our group, and like I say, I got 15.

Not an easy one.
Awesome! I got 16, and I think I could have added another five if I had re-entered and shot the easy bird out of the pairs rather than trying to take down sim pairs all the time, but that's expensive practice. 

Did you try the snooker and the black powder?
Watched the snooker, looked fun but didn't try it. Told husband he should have brought his gun because I wanted to do the two-man flush. Had a go on the muzzle loaders. Last year I broke four clays with a flintlock gun and on the strength of that my father bought me my gun. This year I managed just one with a different kind. I did get a gun as birthday present though. Just a little sxs made of Russian tank parts, but it fits me rather nicely. 

Latest posts

Back