ips does beating

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IPS does phessie shooting

1st drive

didn't see a bird couldn't feel my fingers.

bag 1

2nd drive

walking gun, didn't see a bird.

bag 2

3rd drive

didn't see a bird, horizontal sleet, very cold.

bag 0

4th drive

here we go on a peg with two guns to my left a hedge on my right with about four guns the other side bird came out just to my left shot it twenty yards in front nice left to right. As soon as I loaded a similar target appeared but I missed it. Then a flurry of birds came out quicker than you could load, gun to my left shot and missed the bird came between us still with some height to it and sky all around it there was nothing behind me but I was unsure what the etiquette is about shooting a bird behind but I instinctively turned and got a good first barrell kill (perfectly safe shot I hasten to add muzzle never pointed down the line of shooters) just about loaded in time to take another similar target to the first one which resulted in a good kill. Then a really harsh bird missed by two guns to my left, this was now a left right crossed about thirty yards got a really nice first barrell kill, strangely I was aware on this shot of giving what I think you call maintained lead (I only shoot trap so this is alien to me) must have just been instinctive as there was no plan. Three birds of mine were retrieved by the picker ups one was not found.

bag 6

5th drive

no birds seen very cold but saw two dear.

9 cartridges used shot at 5 hit 4 retrieved 3

total bag me 3

total bag for all guns on the day 9

nice meal with everyone in local pub after the shoot which was very nice. I was invited back next season and I thanked everyone for having me on there shoot, a really nice group of blokes. I have thoroughly enjoyed the beating and enjoyed my shooting which resulted in shot at 6 over 6 drives hit 5 retrieved 4. Cant wait for next season I shall try my best to get eze better although she has never spoiled a drive and neither her or me have embarrassed ourselves just need to work on a few things over spring and summer oh and need to get a game gun. Yet another experience in life that I wished I had taken up years ago.

the end

IPS does phessie shooting

1st drive

didn't see a bird couldn't feel my fingers.

bag 1

2nd drive

walking gun, didn't see a bird.

bag 2

3rd drive

didn't see a bird, horizontal sleet, very cold.

bag 0

4th drive

here we go on a peg with two guns to my left a hedge on my right with about four guns the other side bird came out just to my left shot it twenty yards in front nice left to right. As soon as I loaded a similar target appeared but I missed it. Then a flurry of birds came out quicker than you could load, gun to my left shot and missed the bird came between us still with some height to it and sky all around it there was nothing behind me but I was unsure what the etiquette is about shooting a bird behind but I instinctively turned and got a good first barrell kill (perfectly safe shot I hasten to add muzzle never pointed down the line of shooters) just about loaded in time to take another similar target to the first one which resulted in a good kill. Then a really harsh bird missed by two guns to my left, this was now a left right crossed about thirty yards got a really nice first barrell kill, strangely I was aware on this shot of giving what I think you call maintained lead (I only shoot trap so this is alien to me) must have just been instinctive as there was no plan. Three birds of mine were retrieved by the picker ups one was not found.

bag 6

5th drive

no birds seen very cold but saw two dear.

9 cartridges used shot at 5 hit 4 retrieved 3

total bag me 3

total bag for all guns on the day 9

nice meal with everyone in local pub after the shoot which was very nice. I was invited back next season and I thanked everyone for having me on there shoot, a really nice group of blokes. I have thoroughly enjoyed the beating and enjoyed my shooting which resulted in shot at 6 over 6 drives hit 5 retrieved 4. Cant wait for next season I shall try my best to get eze better although she has never spoiled a drive and neither her or me have embarrassed ourselves just need to work on a few things over spring and summer oh and need to get a game gun. Yet another experience in life that I wished I had taken up years ago.

the end
Bloomin eck,  !   first time out and you shoot a THIRD of the bag. I am suprised that they wanted you back ?  Seriously though, well done. Stick with the Trap gun and get it Teagued.

cheers keith enjoyable day but I kept looking for eze but she wasn't with me which was a shame still could have been worse she could have come into season at beginning rather than end of game season.

teagued you say .. Not a chance

ps

brace hanging in shed, will they be ok until tommorow, Mrs ips been unwell and its her job to dress them (is that the correct term) ??

Ian, I've been told they should hang for four or five days, some even say up to a week! Glad you enjoyed it and shot well. So now you just need a suitable gun for next season! The game shooters I know down this way seem to swear by AYA, they make some rather nice guns, some seem very fancy too, whilst others are rather plain.

They'll be fine until tomorrow.  Traditionally you hang them feet down (which is the opposite to how you'd hang a chicken after killing it). If you like a gamey flavour hang them longer, if you don't dress them tomorrow.  My personal preference is less gamey.

I still keep looking for my dog too, difference is, he has been dead for 2 years.

Yep, as long as the temps stay down they will keep for a week or so hung in an outbuilding or garage (unless you are one of those guy's that have a heater for the car !).

I agree with Les, AyA make some excellent value for money S x S guns, but try my side by side double trigger gun first, you have loads of time now to make a decision. I was on the tower at NWSS today, I only shot at 10, but hit 8 with 21 gram 8's in the 20. Only managed 18 on skeet but was getting tired by midway round.

They'll be fine until tomorrow.  Traditionally you hang them feet down (which is the opposite to how you'd hang a chicken after killing it). If you like a gamey flavour hang them longer, if you don't dress them tomorrow.  My personal preference is less gamey.
thanks bebo. We usually dress them same day as we don't like to gamey a flavour.

I still keep looking for my dog too, difference is, he has been dead for 2 years.

Yep, as long as the temps stay down they will keep for a week or so hung in an outbuilding or garage (unless you are one of those guy's that have a heater for the car !).

I agree with Les, AyA make some excellent value for money S x S guns, but try my side by side double trigger gun first, you have loads of time now to make a decision. I was on the tower at NWSS today, I only shot at 10, but hit 8 with 21 gram 8's in the 20. Only managed 18 on skeet but was getting tired by midway round.
shame I missed you. Would love to try your double and get some tips on game shooting. Lets do a sat you can then meet 40up as well, poss paul120 too.

Ian, had a look at AYA website, some cracking guns on there! Also looked on guntrader site, there are some half decent AYA box locks for a few hundred quid, but the side locks are more obviously, as are newer guns.

will have a look les. Need to try westleys see if I can drive a double then I can decide what to get. I really really wants sxs but may need a single trig.

will have a look les. Need to try westleys see if I can drive a double then I can decide what to get. I really really wants sxs but may need a single trig.
I think you can get some AYA's with single triggers mate.

Beaters day 30/1/16 on our beaters day we are split into two teams of nine guns,team a shoots first drive while team b beats that drive then alernating through the days six drives.everyone puts a pound in the swindle to guess number of birds we will shoot that day, my guess was 122 as they had shot here on the Wednesday numbers arranged from 90 to 168.

The first drive, I'm standing on peg the gun to my left kills as many birds as I miss after my six shots i walk off with one pheasant.the second drive im in the beating line listening to the shooting as we push most of the birds over the gun line they have the same amount of shots as our first drive,very friendly.drive  three back on peg but this time team b are carrying their guns too as previously birds from this drive try and escape over the beating line to safety,I only had shots at two birds but these were far to quick for me and I missed both behind plenty of shooting in the guns catching out the pheasants who tried to escape out the back of the cover crop.times for a little break with home made cakes and a small drop of port.drive four im beating again but were allowed stand and shoot at birds trying to sneak away out the back but nothing comes my way.drive number 5 my last stand of the day im drawn peg 6 early in the season its a great place to stand but later in the year can be a bit quieter.a few pigeons fling overhead and I manage to pull a good one down which I was happy with.then slowly as the beaters begin to push the birds from two woods and a cover crop into the flushing point I can see plenty of birds  milling around just waiting for them to take flight we get a good steady supply of pheasants flying over all complete gun line guns shooting to my left and and plenty of shooting myself 18 shots 10 birds killed,fantastic.on to last drive of the day and back in the beating we put plenty of birds over the guns, this drive provides the highest birds on the shoot some good shots are taken too.then its all over and we head back to the shoot hq everybody smiling and laughing at the great day we have just had.the final reckoning was 175 pheasants and one pigeon from a total of 613 shots,the biggest beaters day I can remember.the evening rounded off at a local bar with stories of the day and maybe a few too many beers! Roll on October 1st the first shoot and next January for another bearters day.

great write up mate sounds like a good day, certainly beats our bag of 9 but its only a small syndicate of sixteen guns and only five hundred birds put down. As you say roll on October

single trigger sxs seems to have a reputation for reliability issues, double trigger is easier than barrel selector once you get used to it.

I will take your word for it pp

Beaters day 30/1/16 on our beaters day we are split into two teams of nine guns,team a shoots first drive while team b beats that drive then alernating through the days six drives.everyone puts a pound in the swindle to guess number of birds we will shoot that day, my guess was 122 as they had shot here on the Wednesday numbers arranged from 90 to 168.

The first drive, I'm standing on peg the gun to my left kills as many birds as I miss after my six shots i walk off with one pheasant.the second drive im in the beating line listening to the shooting as we push most of the birds over the gun line they have the same amount of shots as our first drive,very friendly.drive  three back on peg but this time team b are carrying their guns too as previously birds from this drive try and escape over the beating line to safety,I only had shots at two birds but these were far to quick for me and I missed both behind plenty of shooting in the guns catching out the pheasants who tried to escape out the back of the cover crop.times for a little break with home made cakes and a small drop of port.drive four im beating again but were allowed stand and shoot at birds trying to sneak away out the back but nothing comes my way.drive number 5 my last stand of the day im drawn peg 6 early in the season its a great place to stand but later in the year can be a bit quieter.a few pigeons fling overhead and I manage to pull a good one down which I was happy with.then slowly as the beaters begin to push the birds from two woods and a cover crop into the flushing point I can see plenty of birds  milling around just waiting for them to take flight we get a good steady supply of pheasants flying over all complete gun line guns shooting to my left and and plenty of shooting myself 18 shots 10 birds killed,fantastic.on to last drive of the day and back in the beating we put plenty of birds over the guns, this drive provides the highest birds on the shoot some good shots are taken too.then its all over and we head back to the shoot hq everybody smiling and laughing at the great day we have just had.the final reckoning was 175 pheasants and one pigeon from a total of 613 shots,the biggest beaters day I can remember.the evening rounded off at a local bar with stories of the day and maybe a few too many beers! Roll on October 1st the first shoot and next January for another bearters day.
one thing I don't get is. I thought on beaters day the paying guns beat for you to show there gratitude for your work through the season so how come you had to beat for each other ???

Ian, had a look at AYA website, some cracking guns on there! Also looked on guntrader site, there are some half decent AYA box locks for a few hundred quid, but the side locks are more obviously, as are newer guns.
ooh I want one of them there centenary jobbies there lovely

one thing I don't get is. I thought on beaters day the paying guns beat for you to show there gratitude for your work through the season so how come you had to beat for each other ???
There are some people from certain parts of society that wouldn't give a door a knock unless there's somthing in it for themselves. The word #ankers spring to mind. 

Last edited by a moderator:
indeed paul.

I was fortunate to shoot all five drives whilst the two shoot managers beat all but one accompanied by a couple of regular members. And I was greatful for the experience. Me thinks missalot was robbed.

The place I'm going tomorrow is a commercial high bird shoot, beaters split into two teams...it is difficult if not enough guys turn up, it takes 18 beaters/stops and 6-7 picking up to do the job properly. 

32g 4's two boxes of 36g 4's and even a box of 40g 4's packed for tomorrow...

Nah! Beaters days are simply to allow the hired help to shoot the birds that the paying guns missed :) You don't think they (the paying guns) would want to stand there and watch the hired help actually hit the birds they missed do you?

DT

Nah! Beaters days are simply to allow the hired help to shoot the birds that the paying guns missed :) You don't think they (the paying guns) would want to stand there and actually watch the hired help actually hit the birds they missed do you?

DT
Well the way I understand it is that they beat for the workers, even lord 40up was waving his flag on sat, he said it was for the peasants but I think he meant pheasants

regarding the guns beating for beaters on beaters days we did have one turn up and do picking up for us but to be honest the guns here are not the youngest or fittest some of them need a lift on to each peg on a shoot day,the ground we shoot on would not be suitable for many of them,i think in this case is better we manage the day amongst ourselves.i have been on a small shoot where the guns have helped us out on beaters day before though.

Back