Identical Chokes - but one juts out more

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyH

I decided to treat myself to some new chokes to replace the stock ones I got with my Miroku MK70 sporter. I checked the barrel and it said 'Invector' and this was also on the spare choke container, so I bought two Teague Improved Cylinder chokes for an invector barrel.

I have just screwed them both in, pretty tight, but have noticed that one is slightly prouder than the other. Swapping the chokes over, it is the same barrel (over) that creates the prouder choke. It must only be a millimeter, but I thought I would ask if that is normal, being a noob.

As an aside, I ordered the chokes this afternoon and they were delivered within two hours - by Nigel himself since I only live about 3 miles away from his workshop. Now there's service!

Andy

Not wanting to panic you, but I wouldn't recommend shooting that without frost speaking to Nigel,

It may just be a case of thread differences but it's not worth risking yours or someone close by safety.

Nigel will be able to put it right,

I'd say the problem is probably caused by the thread in the top barrel not being as deep as intended, my old 682 was the same from new with factory flush chokes, one being not quite as flush as the other. 

Thanks everyone, I was concerned about it, I have heard some bad tales about chores not fitting right. I too thought it was probably that my thread in the top barrel was not cut deep enough. I'll speak to Nigel and take my gun over there, I can do a fitting at the same time.

Cheers
Andy

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Just to conclude this thread, I saw Nigel today who took a look at my gun. 

A few issues:

The face of the barrels is not square to the rib which exaggerates the problem

The thread of the choke is not in perfect alignment with the barrel axis

The choke threads are not started at the same point (6 thou difference in starting point as measured from the end of the barrel)

This obviously highlights that tolerances in Miroku's manufacture may not be the very best (for this model), but Nigel assured me it is still a very good gun. He said the chokes were seating properly and were safe to use, which is the main thing.

Cheers
Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
Back