Howdy from Texas

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bordergun

Hi everybody.  I moved over here to Texas in 1998 after managing two shooting grounds and owning a gun shop in the UK.  If anyone has questions about things over here in the US compared to the UK, please e mail me, I will try my best to answer them. 

Hi Pete,

Welcome to the Forum, I travel over to San Antonio each year for the NSSA World Skeet Championships.  :nyam:  

Overall we are a friendly bunch so don't be shy  :crazy:  

Aha the "unit lead" guy :) Its good to have another coach on here to throw some different ideas into the mix, especially an English one that has moved to the US. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the UK v USA systems :)

Hi Peter and welcome.

Don't know if you remember but I live near to where you lived for a while in Stoke and you posted a copy of your book to me last year as I was struggling to get a copy.

Best wishes,

Iggy.

Nicola.

Clifford farm in Woolfardisworthy, Devon and Annandale Shooting Ground near Lockerbie. I had a gun shop in Langholm, Border Tackle and Guns.  Over here I was the pro and managed the Sporting Clay course at the Dallas Gun Club for 6 years.  

Ray.   Robert Paxton from Paxton Arms is a good friend of mine, great guy, great shot.  He wrote the forward to Successful Shotgunning for me. 

Fuzrat. Correct, the Unit Lead guy. It's doing well.    

Iggy,  Sorry I missed you out and I do remember you.  The Unit Lead book does not sell in the UK for some reason. Richard Rawlingson (I go back 20 years with Richard, he wrote GD's book etc.) tried with no success.  BTW Peter Harris is a friend of mine from the SGW forums over here in the US. 

Absolutely.  www.shotgunworld.com   and www.shooterspagetx.com   will be the most popular.  I actually started another site www.shotgunsavvy.com  but it isn't finished yet, time is the limiting factor.  I'm rained off today.................. which is quite rare here in Texas!  However, I do have some interesting things to say about gun fit, eye dominance and lead that won't be considered to be the norm. I will be happy to post some of the information on here but not sure how to do that.  The best way would probably e mail it to someone who is more computer savvy than I am. :biggrin:     

When I first moved over here to the US in 1998 I managed Westside Sporting Grounds near Houston where Cyril is a member.  He's a very interesting and amusing guy with a razor-sharp dry wit.  I think they still shoot ZZ birds at Westside every Thursday.  I also met the late, great Bob Brister who was also a member at Westside and we would swap shooting theories in the Clubhouse in the evenings.  Amazing guy and I always remember him (at about 70 years old) giving me and World Champion fellow Brit Mick Howells a run for our money on the sporting clay course there many years ago.  That guy could shoot! 

Pete - welcome aboard, look forward to your contributions to the site.

As Nicola says - anything you need help with, please let me know.

Thanks Matt.  I'm starting a new site soon  www.ShotgunSavvy.com   It will take time to get all the info. on there but I have lots of articles etc. that have accumulated over the years that I think others would find useful.

Latest posts

Back