High rib guns

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike

I recently bought a Beretta 682 Gold E X Trap shotgun, I need to shoot with an upright head because I see a double image if I look out of the top of my eyes since I had cataracts removed from both eyes.

I can shoot an ordinary gun but I need a lowish comb to keep my head up. When I shoot the 682 I see nearly a figure 8 with the beads but I just look at the clay and I do not see any rib.

My sight pictures have changed slightly but I find it an easy gun to shoot and the recoil level with 24gms is very comfortable.

I had a go with a Kreighoff Pro rib and shot it well, but I could not resist the Beretta for around £6000 less which has the same set up but the rib is non adjustable.

Has anyone else used a high rib gun for every thing?

If i look hard enough upwards even sitting in a chair i see a double picture, caused by the eye muscles pulling one eye slightly over. Perhaps i am missing something, but why are you looking so hard upwards when you shoot?

I shoot a Krieghoff pro rib for everything, bought it originally for english skeet, which it did very well. Now shoot mainly Fitasc with it, although had a few pops at OT as well. It's a 32 inch, only problem I had was some of the pairs at Olympic skeet, can't change direction quick enough.

I was never bothered seeing things by tilting my head forward slightly before I had my eyes done and I don't look upwards that hard. Most ordinary stocked guns are too high to just see an image of one clay, I have tried Blaser, Miroku Mk 38 trap, Beretta, etc; I always see two images.

My auto has the lowest drop on the comb available but the 682 has a monte carlo stock to go with the high rib and the sight picture is very similair apart from the ramp of the rib.

I shoot a Krieghoff pro rib for everything, bought it originally for english skeet, which it did very well. Now shoot mainly Fitasc with it, although had a few pops at OT as well. It's a 32 inch, only problem I had was some of the pairs at Olympic skeet, can't change direction quick enough.
Hi Bob,

Just looking at your avatar pic; the gun looks a touch long for you. This will slow your swing up..

I just bought a guerini high rib on friday,jury's out at the moment

I've found that if you ignore the rib height and just shoot as normal there is not a problem. I was just after other shooter's opinions who use one.

I have owned two high rib guns over the years, both were 682X's, one was a 30" and the other was a 32". Shot them both very well at DTL, but I could not get on with either of them on ABT or any of the fast trap disciplines, but I don't really know why to be honest. I think they may have a bit on the heavy side for the fast disiplines. I shot my first DTL 100/300 with the 30" gun, going to a 32" made no difference at all. I later moved on to flat rib guns, I had several 100/300's with flat ribs, so the rib made no difference to me to be fair!

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with les i too have had a couple of high rib trap guns. Shot well at dtl but same as les i could not get on well with them at ot or ut seemed to me that you get very little feed back from them and i never had a clue were i missed em.

I shoot a high rib 682 xtrap 32" for sporting and FITASC. This gun suits me the best of the many I've tried over the years. I think a lot of it depends on your stature and your shooting style. I'm pretty tall at 6' 2" with a long neck and like the steadiness the nearly 9lb weight gives.

Although I don't shoot a lot of trap when I have tried it, it seems a natural for the job it was designed for.

I'm only 5'8" with a normal neck. I usually shoot maintained lead and I like the steadiness of the 32" barrels. I've just weighed them out of curiosity and they are only 1550gms.

I must confess a real liking for the 682EXtrap & have shot 200 straight in the shop, if you know what I mean. The ones I looked at were all 32'' and I would.nt buy a 32'' as I thought it too long for some of the faster trap styles. I did however buy a 32'' Miroku Mk38 G5, Teagued with adjustable stock and a very slight palm swell only a couple of weeks ago because it just felt right. I tried it out at beverly on DTL and UT with very pleasing results and the following day on sporting at my local club again with good results. The high rib will, for now at least, sit on back burner.

Phil

I'm only 5'8" with a normal neck. I usually shoot maintained lead and I like the steadiness of the 32" barrels. I've just weighed them out of curiosity and they are only 1550gms.
A lot of it depends on how high you mount the gun in the shoulder. I mount mine (montecarlo stock) quite high up but I noticed some people with a more average build mount their gun lower down and have the comb really jacked up.

My xtrap is the old 682 type which was made in 1987, they are quite a bit heavier than the 682 gold e, the 32" barrels on mine are 1670gms.

At the end of the day if you are shooting really well with your gun then nothing else matters - it's whatever suits you!

A lot of it depends on how high you mount the gun in the shoulder. I mount mine (montecarlo stock) quite high up but I noticed some people with a more average build mount their gun lower down and have the comb really jacked up.

My xtrap is the old 682 type which was made in 1987, they are quite a bit heavier than the 682 gold e, the 32" barrels on mine are 1670gms.

At the end of the day if you are shooting really well with your gun then nothing else matters - it's whatever suits you!
I had a 30" and a 32" 682X, they were built in the 80's too. Yeh they were pretty heavy guns as I remember, I shot them well at DTL but could not get on with them at ABT or O/T though.

Latest posts

Back