Gunfit and conflicting advice

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So in summary SO FAR... the opinion is that gun fit can be a great benefit for some or for other not so much a benefit... well who would have predicted that  :)

If I knew then what I know now I would have stuck with my second gun a 682 gold 
​Relax Ian you may have shot well with that gun then but this is now and there are not certainties that you would be shooting the same with it now. There is of course a school boy error that you made when buying the new gun ... don't sell the old one!

But as we all know Ian,  hindsight is always 20:20 

It was what it was and it is what it is. Unless you're (peeps in general, not just you mate) unhappy with what you've got, just enjoy it.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but my first gun was a 525 Nordic Hunter (LH) which I enjoy shooting (and still have) but about 6 months later my good lady bought me the MK for my 50th and I still absolutely love it. It's a grade 1, so nothing special and was a RH'er. I had the stock straightened (still a wee bit more to be done by Derek Lees when I've got the £s) and have taken the varnish completely off and oiled the woodwork (ongoing as with all oiled wood). My point being I have absolutely no desire to change it, even though it seems a lot do after 1-2 years.

Ramble over................ more gin in the next one please nurse ?

Last edited by a moderator:
My twopenuth, for what it's worth...

I need lots of cast, or I have to twist my head and shoulders to see down the rib.  Average guns don't fit me by a country mile.

I had a stock custom made for me, and it was great to shoot head-up and square eyes.

I recently lost some weight, and my scores have gone down the toilet.

Short version - had the fit checked by the stocker, realised I was seeing too much rib and slightly down the right side of the barrels, so I was shooting over the top and my lead pictures were all wrong - rather, the lead pictures were right, but my gun wasn't shooting where I wanted it to!  Couldn't hit a barn door at ten paces.  Stocker took some off the comb, and back to perfect fit.  Cast was still fine, once I had the thing up to my cheek.

As an aside, it was obvious that constantly missing and not understanding why had knocked my confidence, so I was hanging on, checking, stopping the gun, glancing at the bead - all the things we shouldn't do.  With a bit of coaching from said stocker, I began to trust again, attack, and get back into it. 

Whilst I agree that most average people can pick up most average guns and shoot them, a good fit is crucial for consistency.  Not to mention enjoyment...! 

I scored a pre-owned PFS w/ a Beretta grip so I'm gonna screw it onto a old 682 idling in the safe.  I'll prolly lock out the recoil thingie as much as possible tho since I don't have any real need or affection for those things.  If it seems like it's worth the $ I may get a Perazzi grip for it and try it on one of the Mirages.  

If anyone has any hints on things to watch for with it I'd appreciate knowing

Charlie

I scored a pre-owned PFS w/ a Beretta grip so I'm gonna screw it onto a old 682 idling in the safe.  I'll prolly lock out the recoil thingie as much as possible tho since I don't have any real need or affection for those things.  If it seems like it's worth the $ I may get a Perazzi grip for it and try it on one of the Mirages.  

Charlie
They are probably a common site in the US not so much in Blighty. The biggest problem i have had with mine is the funny looks and piss taking, I've lost count of the times someone has asked me if i have stolen a prosthetic leg and where i keep my disabled badge. Make sure everything is torqued up fairly tight you don't want the comb dropping mid shot (i speak from experience) and if you do use some of its recoil damping do not pull the gun tight into your shoulder and compress the mechanism as things start shuffling all over the place.

In these days of adjusto stocks it is more a realm of comb offset than cast-off.  Practically neutral stocks can adjust the comb to massive offset and be very comfortable to shoot.  I like mine lots and have no yearning for the wish-it-fit-better olden days no matter what the things look like

but that could just be me

So all this talk of the need for good gun fit got my brain whirring and I contacted a local gun stock maker about a fitting and possible stock types. I had thought about a trip to Italy but this adds about a thousand Euro to the cost when you take into account the flights and hotels accom.... and should you have a problem you have to return to Italy whereas I can drive along the road to Gaillac in a couple of hours. Here is and example of his work although I don't know if the ergonomic grip is the best choice?
PHOTO CROSSE POIGNEE ERGONOMIQUE FABRICATION AJA Armurerie Jean Ané 81600 GAILLAC (7).JPG

PHOTO CROSSE POIGNEE ERGONOMIQUE FABRICATION AJA Armurerie Jean Ané 81600 GAILLAC (8).JPG

PHOTO CROSSE POIGNEE ERGONOMIQUE FABRICATION AJA Armurerie Jean Ané 81600 GAILLAC (2).JPG

PHOTO CROSSE POIGNEE ERGONOMIQUE FABRICATION AJA Armurerie Jean Ané 81600 GAILLAC (6).JPG

Nice work. Have considered anatomical griffe type thing but I cannot bring myself to move over to such modernism.

Feel the same Ian. My hands can sweat a lot when I am shooting in high temps as well so I would want at least a stippled finish. I have to say though the work loos really nice here are a couple of more conventional stocks. By the way the cost of the ergo fit is €990 the standard is €870. Have to say they got back to me in very short time I sent them an email and the replied and sent me a quote for the work for two different styles of stock. The standard stock can be made on 48hrs don't know about the ergo.

CROSSE DT11 + OPTION BOIS SUPERIEUR + FINITION HUILEE + QUADRILLAGE JA Armurerie Jean Ané 8160...JPG

CROSSE B25 + FINITION HUILEE + QUADRILLAGE + ECUSSON + PONTET ENCASTRE + PLC JA Armurerie Jean...JPG

CROSSE BROWNING + QUADRILLAGE + ECUSSON + PLC JA Armurerie Jean Ané 81600 GAILLAC.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Not worth Italy trip John his work looks good and there are many good stockers in the world other than the obvious choice.  

Not worth Italy trip John his work looks good and there are many good stockers in the world other than the obvious choice.  
​A trip to Italy at least doubles the cost of the stock and as I say any problems may require a return visit as opposed to a two hour drive.

You could always wear a golf glove. Good grip with them and would stop sweat getting on the wood.

also wouldn't you need a new forend for your gun so the woods don't look to dissimilar? Or would you send your gun to them so they could get as close a match as possible and only need stock?

If or when I get the situation sorted out I will just drive down to the stocker its only two hours away. I thiuk I would get the fore end done at the same time so it looks complete.

Charlie
For recoil reasons I purchased K-80 fitted with a precision fit stock about 3 to 4 years ago I did find it a bit tricky for a while particularly when shooting fitasc 

Neads a bit of getting used to but it can be fitted to perfection and recoil can be reduced to nothing in no time at all

As you say one of the other good points about the PFS is it can be fitted to other gun's if you wish and it's not difficult to do.

The K-80 stock as never been out of the box (as new) which has got to be good for selling K-80 on if I so wish!

But keep checking that everything is nice and tight  and do not unscrew the spring washer locking nut !!

As I understand that it can be tricky to re fit.

Dave

Well after a week my gun is back. Very impressed with the fit and the hesitancy that I was struggling with has gone, at 60 pounds plus VAT including getting some minor dinks out I am really happy and gun mount is now much more natural and therefore repeatable ... Gunfit for sxs next! Thanks for you advice, it was definitely worth the money.

Back