gun fit ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctor Lecter

is it just me ? but I've got a pet hate  of seeing adj comb guns with a massive gap  between stock and comb !    it spoils the aesthetics of a nice piece of walnut  imo      i don't like the gap more than 1/4"  max      it also suggests why buy such a bad fitting gun in the first place ?   just watched big ben fitting a gun to a student  on youtube , it all made perfectly good sense !   my xs pro is about 5mm  gap  , i think its about right for me ?    i know its called adjustable for a reason , but why do manufacturers make such low stocks in the first place ?    your thoughts please .  

The obvious answer would be that if they DO include an adjustable stock, you can go as high as you like so it'll fit all and sundry, so makes sense to start off low... go the other way and you're paying someone to cut down the stock. If it's already there, it costs nothing to add to the height.

Having gone through this with my daughter I learned that bending a stock up and down is very difficult because of the bolt being rigid and need to marry the stock up accurately with the receiver. better then to pick a lower comb and adjust up as the "EL" says. My daughters stock needed 4mm and I was hoping it could be bent. Most cast (left & right) is after the bolt.

One other point. There's a bit of weight in the stock & it's often balanced etc as is, so its better to live with an adjustable stock to maintain the balance than having a large stock that you might be able to slim down to fit. If that makes sense !!😬

i think its about right for me ? 
Only you can tell, mate 😁

I actually like the looks of an adjustable stock, and in many cases I think they really make sense. Especially for first time buyers, whose idea of what 'works' may adjust over time as they improve mount, stance and so on. I went that way, and though I haven't changed it much, doing so with an allen key beats shelling out dosh for alterations. Especially so if you change your mind 🤣 

I've been pretty happy with trying, adjusting, failing and reverting. Now it's set and I may only change if I was to start shooting lost of trap. I think its raised by 3mm in all, and I don't think it detracts from the looks. I'm not going to say looks don't matter (I've spent a fair bit of time sprucing up the woodwork), but I'll take a gun that fits over 'classic' looks. But I'm a heretic anyway, as I'm waiting for a chance to screw on an Ergosign... 🤫

Last edited by a moderator:
For most women picking up a gun from stock and mounting it, it would be miles too low.  Every gun I have had I’ve had to have it shortened, and my Miroku was also too low so the gunsmith chopped the top off, added a bit of wood then replaced the bit he’d cut off!  It matched in perfectly and you couldn’t tell but for women especially I think adjustable stocks are the way to go, you can’t believe the difference a few mm makes.  I personally wouldn’t buy a gun without an adjustable stock.  Ben adjusted mine and it’s bang on, not a large gap in between but it’s comfortable.

when CG a brought out a “ladies” gun I had a look at them in Chris Potters, couldn’t believe how low that was either, was looking miles too low, couldn’t even see the barrels.

I find that any new gun off the shelf is way to low in the comb. I have my Beretta gold e, that has been cut and shut by Tim Greenwood, converted to a monte carlo stock. Then my P gun that has a full custom stock made by Roberto at MGS. That also has a monte carlo stock. When both guns are laid one over the other the stocks are pretty much identical, and that from two different gun fitters. You see so many guns on the sporting circuit with raised adjustable stocks, which would suggest that a lot of people find the combs to low. It's not just the comb either, some people may need the pad dropping also, that's where the jones adjuster comes into play.

If I was to change guns or be looking to buy another, it would definitely be the new CG Invictus Allsport, flat rib with adjustable monte carlo, what's not to like.

Both my guns have adjustable combs on them because it's difficult to buy a gun off the shelf that fits women, as Donna says.  Until I bought the A400 Xcel with the Vittoria stock I've always had to get them shortened and the pitch changed.  I have always shot seeing a lot of rib and the adjustable comb helps with that.  On the recent purchase comb height was just about OK anyway, but the cast was slightly off so it has been really good in sorting that out.

I can also vouch for them being great if you gain or lose weight.  Weight loss from face and shoulder really change your view along the gun and the adjustable helps you sort that out.

Currently my venerable old K80 has an adjustable Monte Carlo , although I have had it cast and just use the height at plus a couple of mm  . That’s because with the comb moved over, the ledge left is uncomfortable.
My Miroku 38 trap was perfect for height straight from the box and that’s my favourite sporting gun .  My  Miroku 20 game was horrible , that needed to be bent up to change the drop at face by around 3 mm  As it’s a pretty gun and balances nicely I didn’t want to mess about too much with the wood work  .

I think  possibly standard dimensions on a mass market gun are made to fit  a standardised  person across a global market ,  considering that’s 5’4 Japanese guys to 6’ 3” Dutch guys it will only be correct for someone who fits that average  profile .  

On the other hand I’ve a mate who can hit anything that moves with any gun you put in his hands ... 

A reason I first went for Blaser was that the standard sporter fitted me very well. But eventually I converted it to adjustable mainly as a chance to reprofile the shape of the comb (which would then need raising back to where it was). 

A nice looking gun is just that, nice. I agree a gun with two huge posts supporting a comb isn’t the most elegant sight, but the leading ugly sight in shooting is a score card with a load of zeros on it. I would use a stock that looked like McDonald Trumps bum if it found me more kills. 

I can also vouch for them being great if you gain or lose weight.  Weight loss from face and shoulder really change your view along the gun and the adjustable helps you sort that out.
This. A friend has a lovely grade 5 gun, but has lost a fair amount of weight since purchase. He now can not shoot the same gun without bruising his cheek. 

I was told that you can not bend a stock with adj. comb as much as one without because of the extra metal in the wood. Wonder if that is really a thing to consider or not?

Any reasonable adjustable comb will adjust left and right for cast - I have seen plenty of lefties shot RH guns with combs set over to the left by a good few mm.

I was told that you can not bend a stock with adj. comb as much as one without because of the extra metal in the wood. Wonder if that is really a thing to consider or not?
Not too hard to unscrew the metal bits, bend the stock and screw them back in. The bits may require a bit of fitting then, but it's not like stocks are bent full inches.

I’ve had a left hand (cast on ) gun  , taken over to a cast off gun , and it had a thick wrist and adjustable stock .

Some of the hardest guns to cast are GD5 Mirokus which have a steel tube running through the grip , which must be removed and refitted after the casting , but again I’ve had one get 3/8 cast off and bent up at the wrist . Never underestimate what a good stocker can do , the’re magicians loads of methods of getting the wood to move and as the movement is generally made around the grip /wrist I don’t see how an adjustable comb would affect the process ? 

is it just me ? but I've got a pet hate  of seeing adj comb guns with a massive gap  between stock and comb !    it spoils the aesthetics of a nice piece of walnut  imo.
It matters not. Your gun is a tool to break targets with, nothing more, nothing less. 

If raising a comb is necessary to shoot big scores, then so be it. Aesthetics come a long way behind performance.

It matters not. Your gun is a tool to break targets with, nothing more, nothing less. 

If raising a comb is necessary to shoot big scores, then so be it. Aesthetics coming a long way behind performance.
I have seen some weird sights on the stands down here Perazzi SCO and SC3 guns with lumps of Styrofoam gaffer taped onto the stock, they do not care as long as they don't hear the hooter.

It matters not. Your gun is a tool to break targets with, nothing more, nothing less. 

If raising a comb is necessary to shoot big scores, then so be it. Aesthetics coming a long way behind performance.
Mr. Powell is perfectly correct but I wouldn't be seen with a Kreegwhorefer simply be cause they are too ugly.  But even a TSK or an Ergosign cannot make a Perazzi any less than the beauteous guns that they are.

A simple fact and not JMO

If I was to change guns or be looking to buy another, it would definitely be the new CG Invictus Allsport, flat rib with adjustable monte carlo, what's not to like.
Edit there is a CG allsport, not just Fabarm allsport

is it just me ? but I've got a pet hate  of seeing adj comb guns with a massive gap  between stock and comb !    it spoils the aesthetics of a nice piece of walnut  imo      i don't like the gap more than 1/4"  max      it also suggests why buy such a bad fitting gun in the first place ?   just watched big ben fitting a gun to a student  on youtube , it all made perfectly good sense !   my xs pro is about 5mm  gap  , i think its about right for me ?    i know its called adjustable for a reason , but why do manufacturers make such low stocks in the first place ?    your thoughts please .  
Put simply, the adjustable comb on my gun is as flat as it will go. (Browning ProSport). I do NOT require an adjustable comb, but the gun comes with it. I have always shot Miroku guns over Brownings, the Miroku being lower in the comb. The strange thing is that I shoot with a couple of guys that have convinced themselves that they 'need' a high stock so either crank up the comb or do a 'Blue Peter ' job on the stock, in one case the comb is so high the shooter gets nose bleeds  !  What I can never understand is the fact that they pick up my gun with a totally flat comb and hit everything with it  ??  When you need to shoot about 1 foot under a rising teal bird to break it, I would suggest the comb is a touch high ?  I pick up their guns and find them impossible to shoot. I, being primarily a game shooter, keep my head up and bring the gun to cheek and shoulder (comes from shooting S x S guns for years). THAT is my gun mounting style that I see no point in altering and I mainly shoot gun down, which includes skeet. I personally, would not buy a gun that was not of reasonable fit to start with. I have done the rounds of trying just about every popular clay busting tool out there and the only thing I really hit with them, was my pocket  !  I now shoot a ProSport and it just fits and feels right. Comb flat, stock weights in their box, I have even had to fit a 12mm 'Incest' pad because the thinnest pad supplied to fit the gun,  is too bloomin thick, oh, and 2 x 1/4 chokes. I will admit to fitting the barrel weights about 6" from the muzzle and THAT works.   I always thought that the prime objective of clay shooting was to hit as close to a full house as you can, it seems some just have to 'fiddle' with the adjustable bits, regardless of the score outcome  ?

Back