Gun cleaner

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehb102

I started off using Napier gun cleaner, but even though I was very thorough in cleaning my gun the gunsmith pointed out a lot of lead buildup and told me to get a cleaner with solvent in for occasional use. I did, but I've run out and want to order some online. What would you recommend?

ehb,

There are a multitude of solvents on the market  Parker Hale 009 has stood the test of time and does remove Lead fouling and easily obtainable from most gunshops,  M Pro 7 is very good and if you can find it Cleansoil or Ballistol.

Without doubt Ed's Red is tried and tested and does remove all fouling + can be home brewed. ( Paraffin, Acetone , and auto transmission fluid + lanolin if desired)

Combined with....

DrillRod.jpg

Do people actually use drills to clean guns?

Do you just buy a bit of metal cleaning rod and away you go?

Oh goody, another lengthy 'what's your favourite gun cleaner' topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have long time wondered why anyone would bother with Ed's Red aside from just the cheap (sorta) aspect.  The acetone is extremely volatile just for starters and ................ OK, I'm not gonna get started on this.

Use whatever you like.  I'm sure it'll be just fine. 

Wonko,

You got it in one ! Cheap, most components can be stolen from work.

I use Clensoil, M Pro 7, and 009 most times. 

Lots of shooters down here swear by any bore cleaner combined with a lump of Scotchbrite run up and down the bores. I have never tried it I use a bronze brush with ballistol and power driver .

I have used a full length mop and nothing else for twenty years and my dealer always coments that my guns are always like new when I chop them in. Even the ones keep for more than a year :)

I have used a full length mop and nothing else for twenty years and my dealer always coments that my guns are always like new when I chop them in. Even the ones keep for more than a year :)

And the kitchen floor looks good :lol:
sweep.gif
but made it slippy
deenafallsmop.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought a barrel snake ( full length mop? ) last week.

Two passes after a good dose of cleaner / oil right after a shoot and the barrels look like new. Magic bit of kit!

off you think a snake is good get a full length mop / rod. Much easier to use than a snake.

Barrel Snakes are just a convenience before leaving a shoot .

Do not rely upon them .

Now when i get home, i cap the dangerous end with wax, and fill the tubes with caustic soda and nitromors. 

Guaranteed to do all sorts f damage to skin tissue and the envirowotsit, but does bugger all for the barrels ;)

I usually get an elf to do it.

Cant beat a bit of Elf and safety . :)

:santa:   x

The point of the thread was what cleaner can I get online? I've ordered some 009 stuff from eBay. I was looking for Clenzoil but couldn't find anywhere on the web that wanted to sell it to me except as part of a kit.

Thanks for the helpful responses.

Latest posts

Back