Getting itchy for a new shooting iron

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely right Greg.

Maybe if i stop looking and accept i am as good as i can ever be i will improve. My problem is that by constantly looking for the elusive ingredient i never fully settle into a technique, i am aware of this but as a protectionist i find it hard to stop the search. Serious issues in my head, I need a sports psychologist :)

Well I am going to have the trigger looked at and see this season out with the Browning. I like the gun it is a nice fit and even though I want the higher head position I get no issues with neck pain or such like. The problem for me is I have a low gun hold point so I am looking up through the top of my range as it were. I could go to a higher gun hold but I think I would lose gun speed if I did that and would not have the same attack and follow through on the target ? Anyway to be honest it just looking at gun shop websites that causes the itch, when I am enjoying a days shooting I never even think about another gun ...except that trigger issue that pops up now and again!

Absolutely right Greg.

Maybe if i stop looking and accept i am as good as i can ever be i will improve. My problem is that by constantly looking for the elusive ingredient i never fully settle into a technique, i am aware of this but as a protectionist i find it hard to stop the search. Serious issues in my head, I need a sports psychologist :)
I realised many years ago that I am a D/C class shooter mainly because of the limited amount I shoot. I am convinced that the more you shoot the better you will get. The right coaching (technique and mental) will also help with those extra few targets but repetition is the single most important thing in my book. Take someone like at the american golfer, Jim Furyk. The most appalling golf swing in the world but constant practice (a no coach would ever have allowed him to continue with such a hideous swing) and hey presto 1 major win and three second places and 26 tournament wins so far. A perfect example of practice (even with a sh*tty swing) makes results.

It's no surprise to me that the top Italian trap shooters are spending five days a week crunching thousands of targets and are winning a lot of tournaments. Go figure?

Enjoy Sealand today while I am at work!

DT

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers Greg,a bit windy but cant wait for Andy and tinker report on there double rise i bet its wild down there.

I'm glad I'm not the only who has an itch for a new gun from time to time , always fancied a 16 bore, cos as a child ( I still am in many ways) it was the first gun I used, so I got one and I love it, I fancied a little 4.10 over and under for dog training, I got one and I love it, I find myself looking at 28 bores now, for playing with, if a sports physiologist tells us why we do it , ( and if it's something we need to stop doing) please don't tell me, I like to work

hard, play hard, and if it gives you pleasure, but whatever you like

Alan,, your in good company my friend its good to have a play from time go time imo. 28bore that sounds fun but I bet cartridges are expensive ?

Edit

I'm glad I'm not the only who has an itch for a new gun from time to time , always fancied a 16 bore, cos as a child ( I still am in many ways) it was the first gun I used, so I got one and I love it, I fancied a little 4.10 over and under for dog training, I got one and I love it, I find myself looking at 28 bores now, for playing with, if a sports physiologist tells us why we do it , ( and if it's something we need to stop doing) please don't tell me, I like to work

hard, play hard, and if it gives you pleasure, but whatever you like
Yup! That's how it started with me too. I love 16's so much I've got three of them (so far!)

I've got .410's to 12's right now (had 10's and 8's too in the past) but never had a 28. You've got me thinking about it now. 

G.A.S. is taking hold!! (Gear aquisition syndrome). Sound like there's a few sufferers on here?  :biggrin:

They might be a bit dearer, but a round of clays now and again won't hurt, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks- the only difference between the men and the boys ..... Is the price if there toys

I am currently pondering the fact that I may soon have little choice but to return to my roots (dtl). So I'm thinking shall I carry on with my dt11 30, or my 3800 30, or shall I try a ???? I know the 3800 was mustard for dtl back in the 90's because I shot plenty of good scores with it,only ever shot ot and abt with the dt11

But ......Im still starting to itch even though I have two guns that between them could cover most of the trap disciplines!!!

Les will we ever learn
Probably not Ian. I have a small shortlist just in case the worst happens and the 3800 and the dt11 prove to be too fast handling as I after shooting fast trap for so long I may need a gun to slow me down.

I have a strange desire for a nill griffe even though I know its probably a really bad idea :)

Maybe there is medication available for our condition

I have a strange desire for a nill griffe even though I know its probably a really bad idea :)

Maybe there is medication available for our condition
I think the condition is incurable Ian. As for those stocks,well it seems some get on with them and some don't. I will not know if my guns are ok for dtl until I try them. Bigest issue for me would be avoiding anything adjustable after my episode with that mk38 adjustable,it was a nightmare!

The 11 should be ok for dtl les, i wouldn't think they were all that quick but i haven't shot one only handled them.

The 11 should be ok for dtl les, i wouldn't think they were all that quick but i haven't shot one only handled them.
That's what I thought until I shot it! Its heavy but once in the shoulder the weight seems to vanish, its almost as fast as my 3800 which is half a pound lighter! I will need to try both and see what happens. I don't really want to go back to dtl to be honest, but it could be the only viable option at the end of this year!

You probably enjoy going back to your roots mate.

Les

There must be some ABT available locally as most places that provide DTL seem to also do ABT?

That said, ABT isn't quite what it used to be!

DT

Back