Getting itchy for a new shooting iron

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwpzx9r

Don't know why but I am spending sooo much time looking at different shotguns on the net just now. Is it the weather , the time of year when because it is cold and wet I find solace in looking at guns because I can't get shooting? Saw a lovely DT10 X trap on a UK website but a private sale so I doubt he would go to the trouble of exporting it to me ? If it was here the money would be jingling in his pocket :) I must admit to being unsettled by the trigger pulls on the Browning... maybe it does need replaced :)

Typically the weather today is amazing for Jan 19C and lovely sunshine all next week storms forecast so bang goes the shooting again!

John

Have you not paid attention to my various DTX posts :)

Have the trigger pulls recently gone off or is it that the flat springer bragaid have got into your head?

To be honest it is just the thought of trying out a new bit of kit :) I have thought about a P gun but the thought of going half way across Europe to have it fitted just does nothing for me... strangely I much prefer going into a shop and buying what I want at least half local to where I live. There are loads of second hand ones for sale but quite old and probably shot to hell! And I can buy a nearly new Beretta DT10/11 for the same cost. I think my problem is just not getting shooting enough which leads to looking at guns on the net... bad for the mind :)

I have noticed the trigger on the Browning can be a bit heavy from time to time and I reckon that it obviously costs me the odd target as the target gets away when you expect to feel the gun fire and then see target break! Had it apart cleaned it light oil and to be honest it looks fine nothing ragged or worn looking which you would expect the gun has only fired ~ 4.5k .

Ian I was looking at the DT10 X as a means of getting the head position higher with the gun only being a half high rib and having the adjustable comb.... Ian has adjustability brain over load :)

If you want high ish rib think about the 682 gold e X imo a better gun than the DTX or if I was looking at high ish rib I would seriously be looking at CG. If you are adamant about a DTX take my advice and shoot one first. Just my opinion of course and others may disagree but the DTX I found to be a strange beast.

I am no expert, but I would say you could order a P gun and not have to travel to their factory to get it fitted? Im sure you have to pay more to do that right? You could get it fitted in France when you get it. Or buy a 2nd hand one, and get that fitted.

Probably right BoB1 but if you are going to part with 12k plus you would want to do the factory thing I would think. Quite a lot of Perazzi guns for sale second hand but most are quite old, 20 plus years, and even the newer ones are 3-5 years old prices vary between a couple of thousand for an older gun to seven or more for a new gun. France is a big country too you can find some guns you sre going to have to travel more than a thousand miles round to have a look... don't fancy that!

I am a lazy git when it comes to travel I will probably be shooting my Browning for a wee while yet !

The newest Perazzi that I have here was made in 1984 and it is still very much like new.  A well cared for Perazzi will last at least a lifetime.  My current oldest was made in 1972 and was not in a loving home for some considerable part of its life.  But when I'm having any kind of down period, all I have to do is take it out and the healing process begins.  I can't tell you why but that gun always lets me know how much it appreciates being in its new home.  OK not so new a home since I've had it for 20yrs or so, but still ............

Old Perazzis are not a problem.  They were/are made to shoot forever.

just saying

The newest Perazzi that I have here was made in 1984 and it is still very much like new.  A well cared for Perazzi will last at least a lifetime.  My current oldest was made in 1972 and was not in a loving home for some considerable part of its life.  But when I'm having any kind of down period, all I have to do is take it out and the healing process begins.  I can't tell you why but that gun always lets me know how much it appreciates being in its new home.  OK not so new a home since I've had it for 20yrs or so, but still ............

Old Perazzis are not a problem.  They were/are made to shoot forever.

just saying
I've also heard that guns built around 1984 were the best built, don't know why. Just was told this as mine is of 1981 vintage and is holding up pretty well. Just struggling to find a stock that fits at the moment, once I do I will be using it again. Fell out with it in 2012 after a couple of disasters due the stock becoming unsuitable. (I swear it's changed and nothing to do at all with pie consumption)

Do you know when the top leaver release pin was moved from the top to the side? Also always wondered why it was moved.

Hear what you are saying guys but would you buy a gun without seeing it in the flesh as it were ? Take a look at this gun. To me it looks great and I am very tempted to buy it but for me to get the gun I would have to trust the pictures and assume there are no problems the round trip to have a look is.... 1000 miles !

http://www.naturabuy.fr/PERAZZI-MX-11-item-735099.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Hear what you are saying guys but would you buy a gun without seeing it in the flesh as it were ? Take a look at this gun. To me it looks great and I am very tempted to buy it but for me to get the gun I would have to trust the pictures and assume there are no problems the round trip to have a look is.... 1000 miles !http://www.naturabuy.fr/PERAZZI-MX-11-item-735099.html
I must say it looks in good nick from the pictures, but what does it feel like in your hands. Them shiny guns are just so tempting on the tinterweb. " Damn you Sir Tim Berners Lee "

chicken curry no worry

John!! First things first mate! Get your gun to a proper gunsmith and have the triggers sorted,they know things that we don't! The next thing,why a high rib? Next...you live a country where B25's are relatively common,so why not find a nice one? A Carrega perhaps?

Les you are right on so many levels. I am going to get the gun to the smith to see if the is a minor glitch in the mechanism.. that is first priority! The new gun well the gun I currently use is all the gun I really need if you think about it and I am honest   :)   but you can never stop looking at guns and say to yourself now that looks good :)  As I say its the lack of shooting when the weather changes and I am out every week the thought will have gone but yes get the triggers checked out that is number one.

The high rib was a thought to get my head higher and be more comfortable when shooting, well that was my thought don't know if it works that way though. Great day today sunshine wee bit of a wind but really nice... shooting ground closed :(   forecast for next week high winds and rain don't look like I'm shooting next week either :) roll on spring!

Saw a nice Carrega the other week but the guy had fitted an adjustable stock..eh !??  so not original good nick other than that though .

Monte Carlo stock will give similar result re-head up. I have been down this route of wanting head up when i was really suffering with a fencing related neck / shoulder injury about 7 yrs ago and yes it does help a great deal but takes time to adjust. If i had my time again i would not have bothered with high rib i would have spent 1.6k on a nill griffe stock if you cant get one of them set to how you want there is no hope.

I've also heard that guns built around 1984 were the best built, don't know why. Just was told this as mine is of 1981 vintage and is holding up pretty well. Just struggling to find a stock that fits at the moment, once I do I will be using it again. Fell out with it in 2012 after a couple of disasters due the stock becoming unsuitable. (I swear it's changed and nothing to do at all with pie consumption)

Do you know when the top leaver release pin was moved from the top to the side? Also always wondered why it was moved.

All I know about the "quality" thing is that there was better machining and less hand fitting as time has passed.  I dunno if that is good or bad.  None of the ones here seem to suffer from either method.  The lever release moved from the left side (T1&2) to the top center (T3) to the right side (T4).  I have no idea why it ever moved since the T4 is just a mirror of the T1.  The top center thing I think was abandoned cuz a meathead could righteously mess an action taking it apart or putting together.  I have one that clearly has suffered that get a bigger hammer mentality.  They all work fine for me but then I like my guns and take proper care of them.

Les you are right on so many levels. I am going to get the gun to the smith to see if the is a minor glitch in the mechanism.. that is first priority! The new gun well the gun I currently use is all the gun I really need if you think about it and I am honest   :)   but you can never stop looking at guns and say to yourself now that looks good :)  As I say its the lack of shooting when the weather changes and I am out every week the thought will have gone but yes get the triggers checked out that is number one.

The high rib was a thought to get my head higher and be more comfortable when shooting, well that was my thought don't know if it works that way though. Great day today sunshine wee bit of a wind but really nice... shooting ground closed :(   forecast for next week high winds and rain don't look like I'm shooting next week either :) roll on spring!

Saw a nice Carrega the other week but the guy had fitted an adjustable stock..eh !??  so not original good nick other than that though .
You can get your head more upright just by mounting higher in the shoulder,it cured my neck ache that I used to get and also stopped the comb slap and head lifting that went with it. Anyway if you want to just scratch an itch well go ahead,most of us have done it at least once!!!

Still scratching, the itch never goes away. I have spent 28yrs with the theory that one day i will find that little thing in gun fit or technique that will transform my shooting. I still think this is going to happen, its what keeps me shooting, i am amongst other things very stubborn and refuse to be beaten by an orange clay thing.

just saying.

Still scratching, the itch never goes away. I have spent 28yrs with the theory that one day i will find that little thing in gun fit or technique that will transform my shooting. I still think this is going to happen, its what keeps me shooting, i am amongst other things very stubborn and refuse to be beaten by an orange clay thing.

just saying.
Ian

I suspect the magic ingredient you are looking for is already in your head, not in a gun shop !

Just saying ;-)

DT

Back