George Digweed the best shooter in the world

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MX2000

Hi, i have been following Russell Marks countdown to the top 20 shooters, his list is;

1. George Digweed ENG
2. Michael Diamond AUS
3. Kimberly Rhode USA
4. Leo Harrison lll USA
5. Matthew Dryke USA
6. Richard Faulds ENG
7. Giovanni Pellielo ITA
8. Wayne Mayes USA
9. Michel Carrega FRA
10. Ray Stafford USA
11. Dan Bonillas USA
12. Ennio Falco ITA
13. Rudy Etchen USA
14. Susan Nattrass CAN
15. James Graves USA
16. Jury Tsuranov URS
17. Homer Clark Jnr USA
18. Miroslav Bednarik CZE
19. AJ Smith ENG
20. Shan Zhang CHN

I have been enjoying his facebook page as each new shooter is listed, some well known shooters, some not so well known shooters (to me). I think Russell has been a bit modest, by excluding himself.

Who else should be there? e.g Nuria Ortiz first woman shooter at the Olympics?

But an excellent list with some great stories to each shooter, looking forward to the book.

On what basis is this list formulated ?

I am not disputing anyone on the list but personally I believe there are or have been many truly great shooters out there for many various reasons, some we all know of some are less known.

I do not think that a list like this is definitive by any means in fact a top 100 would probably not even cover it.

Last edited by a moderator:
IPS, he has also listed the other 80 shooters he considered to make "his" top 20.

Thats the fun of lists everyone has their own order and their own list of who should be on it. or not.

What makes this lists interesting is that Russell has competed with a number these shooters, that are on the list in competition.

MX2000

Oh I see, sorry I didn't realise that.

As you say lists are lists and we all have one.

Cheers, have a day (as wonko would say) :)

1. George Digweed ENG

2. Michael Diamond AUS

3. Kimberly Rhode USA

4. Leo Harrison lll USA

5. Matthew Dryke USA

6. Richard Faulds ENG

7. Giovanni Pellielo ITA

8. Wayne Mayes USA

9. Michel Carrega FRA

10. Ray Stafford USA

11. Dan Bonillas USA

12. Ennio Falco ITA

13. Rudy Etchen USA

14. Susan Nattrass CAN

15. James Graves USA

16. Jury Tsuranov URS

17. Homer Clark Jnr USA

18. Miroslav Bednarik CZE

19. AJ Smith ENG

20. Shan Zhang CHN
I am not knowledgeable enough to pass comment on most of those but can offer a little improvement without in anyway altering the order. You can have a hundred experts having their own lists but none will be credible without starting with GD as number 1.

Well, if you can have them alive or dead, you forgot Captain Adam Henry Bogardus, a personal hero of mine.      

Annie Oakley and Frank E. Butler were quite handy too, but different in so many ways to modern day shooters.

Difficult to compare current with long dead of course, but will they remember George Digweed in the same way 100 years after his death?  :biggrin:

MX2000

Oh I see, sorry I didn't realise that.

As you say lists are lists and we all have one.

Cheers, have a day (as wonko would say) :)
But Ian, you are king of the lists......surely you must have a list of top shooters? I bet it includes John Stafford, Bob Braithwaite, Brian Bailey, Joe Wheater and Ian Peel.......correct?

Spot on mate, you see it depends on what you are going to base it on which was my original point. Are we to go off international titles won are we including national and county, is length of career coming into the equation, does total domination of a discipline get taken into account ?

Spot on mate, you see it depends on what you are going to base it on which was my original point. Are we to go off international titles won are we including national and county, is length of career coming into the equation, does total domination of a discipline get taken into account ?
Yep!!!! It's a rather large area to cover without having any perameters set up.

These lists will always cause debate, discussion and arguments. For instance R. Faulds Esquire may have a similar number of World titles to George Digweed, but has to his credit an Olympic Gold Medal. AJ was possibly ahead of his time and sadly very much like Boxing where we could never match Cassius against Joe Louis, we will never know.

And don't forget Cheryl......who actually holds the most World Tiles of anyone ....26.....!

Russell's list is mainly ISSF focused. But that is his opinion......I have read each one with interest and learned something else that i did not know about each person....so it was informative....but at the end of it all........i will remember good old Russ for giving us all a long number of months saying how he was ballsy enough to step out at the Olympics (London 2012) in a mankini......said it was all for charity (along with his pretty missus who did some rangey pics for a magazine for the same charity).....and then....!!!......Come the Olympics and we sat nose to the screen to see Russ in his mankini...................

NADA.....!!! :laugh: Russ you old tease you :laugh:

So make your lists people and we will all enjoy reading them........

...but i think that it would be much better to keep each list 'discipline specific'.....and then at the end.....look how many are multi discipline 'big winners' there are.

For me, and in my own opinion, this is where you find your greats....and if there is a O gong in there.....bob's your uncle...!

Agree you need to break things down a bit, discipline is as good as any because in fairness you can't say some of the greats at say DTL or Skeet who have won countless titles aren't legends because they are. Cheryl too is a legend of gigantic proportions but I doubt any of her titles have been won with overall highest score, George's always have. 

But when all is said and done and you think of the sheer ability to be able to hit the widest range and spectrum of target types, speeds, distances and combinations………………….there is really only one inevitable choice. 

Ok lets do it. Lets start with the obvious Dtl

John Stafford

Paul chaplow

Keith bond

I base this short list on the fact that all the above have dominated the discipline for a period of time. There are many more great dtl shooters but for me these three stand out.

If i was pushed to name a top one it would have to be Stafford purely for his totally natural ability.

But when all is said and done and you think of the sheer ability to be able to hit the widest range and spectrum of target types, speeds, distances and combinations………………….there is really only one inevitable choice. 
Awww shucks, thanks mate  :hi:

What?? ....................... You didn't mean me??  Oh, sorry........... :fie:

" Can we have a list for "who has eaten all the pies" ? OOOOOOps George is top of that too ! "

Just heard Paul Chaplow has done another 300

Latest posts

Back