GB Selection shoots - straw poll

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you be more likely to shoot a GB selection shoot if they were 100 target, shoot either day eve

• Yes

Votes: 20 64.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Would make no difference

Votes: 7 22.6%

• Total voters
James, top shooters don't care about expenses being paid, they don't shoot for team GB for others reasons, and yes I know that is fact. And as for your last comment, well good to see you are a balanced person, you obviously have chips on both shoulders :)
Matt, WTF are you on about 'chip on both shoulders!?!? That's a fact of life, people can be tempted to pick their friends, family and people of influence...even if they don't, they always run the risk of being accused!!! If you think any different then you are very naive for an adult..l.

If a team manager had the ultimate accountability for picking a winning team based on regional shoots why would that be a disaster?
So, a team manager picks who shoots for the team, he is ultimately accountable, this is clear cut, transparent and fair how? No chance of being accused of favouritism, nepotism or corruption if the 'wrong' people get chosen...Is this 'squad' format then?

Team managers responsibility is to pick a winning team, why would he pick his friends and family if his/her objective is to win? Cyreeeel will testify that GB used to clean sweep the medals in years gone by, we still do well but the also rans are now getting good enough to win, so we have to adapt.

Team USA are sponsored, they have inexcess of $500k in funding and are now begining to reap the benefits, they also have a pro circuit tour, when you shoot in the team you agree to travel as a team, stay on the same hotel as a team, practice as a team, use the same shell (main sponsor is Wincester), we are light years away from this.

Tinker bell said:
Nope that is not how squadding works......far from it .......but keep going....this is interesting :wink:
Then you better explain it to Matt, because I quoted what he proposed!!!

Tinker bell said:
Nope that is not how squadding works......far from it .......but keep going....this is interesting :wink:
Then you better explain it to Matt, because I quoted what he proposed!!!

Cyreeeel will testify that GB used to clean sweep the medals in years gone by, we still do well but the also rans are now getting good enough to win, so we have to adapt.

Team USA are sponsored, they have inexcess of $500k in funding and are now begining to reap the benefits, they also have a pro circuit tour, when you shoot in the team you agree to travel as a team, stay on the same hotel as a team, practice as a team, use the same shell (main asponsor is Wincester), we are light years away from this.
Who are you referring to as the 'also rans'...

We all know about how good team USA has it...

James and Steve both make good points. For me the preference is for two day shoots. Don't forget that one of the selection shoots last year was 100 birds in a day and those that shot the one day with reasonable weather had a huge advantage. Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
Barbury Skoda challenge was just like that this year! Really windy when i shot it on the Friday and apparently on the Sunday too but much better and easier conditions on the Saturday so i was told!

Barbury Skoda challenge was just like that this year! Really windy when i shot it on the Friday and apparently on the Sunday too but much better and easier conditions on the Saturday so i was told!
Last year at Hepworth Hall, the GB FITASC shoot was a 100 bird shoot, I didn't shoot it, I asked some friends who did what they thought of it, "crap! Not the shoot itself, but the format, the day we shot the weather was awful, the day before it was lovely"

Nicola, we all know too well you can't help yourself...you have no chance of helping others!!!

James you obviously have some strong opinions, but you need to understand. I have shot 2 day shoots where we were the first squad out, we shot in a raging storm! The next squad to shoot our layout had sunshine! All on the same day, so the weather argument is frankly rubbish.

The also rans are the 90% of the entries that realistically won't make the but want to shoot the event because they enjoy the sport, if you think very one has a chance of making the team then you are dillusional, getting a GB badge is extremely difficult and so it should be. I don't know how long you have been shooting fitasc or shooting full stop but there is more to fitasc than you think.

James you obviously have some strong opinions, but you need to understand. I have shot 2 day shoots where we were the first squad out, we shot in a raging storm! The next squad to shoot our layout had sunshine! All on the same day, so the weather argument is frankly rubbish.

The also rans are the 90% of the entries that realistically won't make the but want to shoot the event because they enjoy the sport, if you think very one has a chance of making the team then you are dillusional, getting a GB badge is extremely difficult and so it should be. I don't know how long you have been shooting fitasc or shooting full stop but there is more to fitasc than you think.
Matt, I quote, from you...

"Cyreeeel will testify that GB used to clean sweep the medals in years gone by, we still do well but the also rans are now getting good enough to win, so we have to adapt."

...also rans, who are the 'also rans' YOU say are "good enough to win"

Also, what gives you the idea I or anyone else thinks that anyone can get into the GB team or that it is easy??? You make lots of assumptions Matt, there's more to FITASC? Really? More than what...more than mental strength, more than the ability to shoot any target presentation gun down, more than being able to think on your feet, more than being able to find clays with both barrels on the singles then again on doubles, more than shooting 25 then switching off for anything between 3/4 of an hour to 3 hours then switching back on again, more that shooting the same competition over one, two or four day's? I know there is more that what I've just listed, but I'm not going to type it all out for you Matt.

Hahahaha damn ipad, bit of a miss aligned sentence! I of course meant the competition to team GB, ie the yanks, french, spanish etc, that or the alcohol is wearing off!

Children Please! a few points;

1. Is there any need to call those who take there sport seriously and socially, but will not make the team, wannabees or cannon fodder. really?!

2. 1 day or 2. " You cant please all the people all time" eitherway.

3. The best team; Many of the very top shots mentioned would not/will not shoot for the team if they are hand selected, have to shoot a selection shoot or any other combination. This is for a variety of reasons; "been there done that" "not financially worth it" "not shooting with him/her" etc etc

4. All the selectors can do is put on a format 1 or 2 day and have it open to those willing to participate. Times/people move on and so it should be.

5. There is no pot of gold to finance a team from various pots "gb sport" etc those days are gone. A major attitude/cultural change in  the average shooter and re-structuring of the organisations would/will need to take place for that to happen again.

To busy helping out at the Southdown selection shoot to continue this; hope to see some of you there.

Back