GB Selection shoots - straw poll

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you be more likely to shoot a GB selection shoot if they were 100 target, shoot either day eve

• Yes

Votes: 20 64.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Would make no difference

Votes: 7 22.6%

• Total voters
James has it dead right! they are held to pick the team to shoot the worlds/european c/ships which are 4 day events! they are not held for Joe Public to play at Fitasc shooters 

(notice that I did not say "wannabees")

If you cannot shoot 2 days in a row then you cannot shoot 4 days at a c/ship either! stick to your local 100 bird derby's. :crazy:

Is it not the case that, realistically, only a small percentage of shooters at these selection shoots are really there with a hope of being selected? But the shoot organisers need a lot of cannon fodder to put enough numbers into the shoot to make it work? So, as with almost all shoots, you need to put on something to draw the masses. More a business decision than a sporting one of course..

Yes to a 100 either day. Don't like 2day shoots

...and if you made the team would you like a 4 day shoot?
. If I made the team 4 days no problem as I would cancel everything else and enjoy the break. However I will never make the team as I can't enter the selection shoots as I work every other Saturday and I can't justify the cost re hotels/food time away from family. When I retire I will do all of them and take a caravan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tinker bell said:
It they want to really replicate Fitasc on the World scene they would make our selection 200 (100 per day)........ But of course everyone would find some excuse not to replicate real Fitasc WC's or GP's.
One of them is...not all grounds in the uk have the space/resorses to put on two 100 bird courses and do it right!!! Content Removed by Admin

Well said Nic, I have to work every Saturday so cannot do the Selection shoots so does 7 or 8 times GB member Manual. oh and in England some of us use our little holiday to go to shoots Abroad.

(but not Scotland) its to cold and grey up there :fie:

Well said Nic, I have to work every Saturday so cannot do the Selection shoots so does 7 or 8 times GB member Manual. oh and in England some of us use our little holiday to go to shoots Abroad.

(but not Scotland) its to cold and grey up there :fie:
No Chubby, you don't HAVE to work every Saturday, you CHOOSE to work every Saturday, just as I don't HAVE to live in the cold and grey of Scotland, I CHOOSE to live in Scotland. Just as you could move jobs, I could move home...

James - it comes down to this.

The very top shots do not want to represent Team GB in FITASC and therefore do not shoot any of the GB selection shoots. The team is then selected from those who can enter. Not everyone can take a Saturday off from work, so assuming it's a choice is wrong. There are several former team members who now do not shoot the selection shoots BECAUSE they are 2 day events. The fact you shoot 50 per day in the Euros & Worlds is totally irrelevant to what happens in the selection process.

One main reason to holding 2 day 150 target shoots is to maximise the number of entries and therefore the amount of TEAM FUNDING. The whole selection procedure could be changed to a) make it more accessible and B) increase revenues for the team, but there is not an appetite to do so right now in the UK. Some shooters like their weekends away with their mates, some shooters don't and therefore do not enter.

What is clear, is you cannot say the strongest team is picked from the strongest shooters and that is a fact, it is not being disrespectful to the current team members but it is fact. George, Richard, Ben & Ed do not enter selection shoots and therefore are not in the team.

What if we held more regional shoots, 100 targets shot on 1 day, held more regularly and at more grounds and then use the Team Manager to pick the strongest team and actually be responsible for the team and its performance? Just an idea for discussion, not a club to beat the life out of baby seals....

lots of sense spoken here,, ultimately Fsp is limited by physical numbers of shooters, at 40 min per squad  per range,( if your lucky) in a 12 hour day, you will get 96 shooters per day.for 100 targets  which is why the 'walk thro' system is becoming popular.

personally, I 'm not a fan, too much of the Fitasc feel is lost,, almost back to Esp.?

Please keep this discussion civil - my delete key hasn't been used for a while and I would like to keep it that way...

Were do you buy these badges.and who sows them on atb

Yes unfortunately it it was required, shame really as I was enjoying the discussion...

James - it comes down to this.

The very top shots do not want to represent Team GB in FITASC and therefore do not shoot any of the GB selection shoots.

The team is then selected from those who can enter. Not everyone can take a Saturday off from work

What is clear, is you cannot say the strongest team is picked from the strongest shooters and that is a fact, it is not being disrespectful to the current team members but it is fact. George, Richard, Ben & Ed do not enter selection shoots and therefore are not in the team.

What if we held more regional shoots, 100 targets shot on 1 day, held more regularly and at more grounds and then use the Team Manager to pick the strongest team and actually be responsible for the team and its performance? Just an idea for discussion, not a club to beat the life out of baby seals....
Some of the very top shooters who don't want to represent the team still shoot some of the GB shoots, so your first statment incorrect.

I don't think anyone has claimed we put the strongest team out that we could do on paper!?!?

Regional GB team qualifiers? With a team manager who 'picks the team'?? Don't you think that would be a recipe for disaster??? You have to have a selection criteria, one that is clear and transparent, no point in reinventing the wheel with a mandate to make it any other shape but round...that's what a GB FITASC sporting team managers job would be if he had to 'pick the team'...a square wheel, nothing would be smooth!!!

When I refer to the very top shots I mean George, Richard, Ben etc and none of them shoot the selection shoots, so my statement is correct. If a team manager had the ultimate accountability for picking a winning team based on regional shoots why would that be a disaster?

At the end of the day the reason for these shoots is two fold, team selection and funding, and the reason for having the team is to win, so why not explore possible alternatives to see if improvements can be made to both the team selection AND funding?

When I refer to the very top shots I mean George, Richard, Ben etc and none of them shoot the selection shoots, so my statement is correct. If a team manager had the ultimate accountability for picking a winning team based on regional shoots why would that be a disaster?

At the end of the day the reason for these shoots is two fold, team selection and funding, and the reason for having the team is to win, so why not explore possible alternatives to see if improvements can be made to both the team selection AND funding?
You offer the team members their expenses paid then see how many 'top shots' shoot selection shoots!!!

When I refer to the very top shots I mean George, Richard, Ben etc and none of them shoot the selection shoots, so my statement is correct.
Well I spoke to Ben at both Kegworth and Westfield GB shoots and in your previous 'top shots' post you names Ed...who shot for the GB team at the world FITASC, in Madrid...so yes, your statment was incorrect!!!

This is my take on the subject!  I have attended selection shoots on and off for 30 years, there was probably never a chance of me making the team at any time!

Myself and 10 or so shooters back in the 90's shot them as a social occasion, they were all old system and you met every shooter who was shooting the shoot and it was a very friendly and enjoyable time, with good accommodation good food and drink and lots of laughs.

If anyone thinks that I am going to drive to Grimsthorpe or such from Somerset to shoot 100 birds and then driving home again is hissing in the wind! If you want to shoot 100 fitasc in one day there are lots of local grounds.

Invited places leads to accusations of corruption, nepititism or favouritism...if not actual corruption, nepititism or favouritism!!!

James, top shooters don't care about expenses being paid, they don't shoot for team GB for others reasons, and yes I know that is fact. And as for your last comment, well good to see you are a balanced person, you obviously have chips on both shoulders :)

Back