First cartridges, now the clays too...

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the club I am a member of the cost for a round of FO or FU is €3.50 ... works out at about 12 pence per clay but membership of the club costs €35 per season but we get other benefits for that too  for example as an active shooter in competition if you enter the league championship the club pays your entry... €40 this season and a decent clubhouse. We use Laporte clays don't know how good or bad they are but we have very few no birds at our club another club I shoot at the number of no birds can be maddening they use Corsivia , having said that surely a lot depends on how the clays have been handled during transport and how good your launchers are.

Last edited by a moderator:
We use corsiva too as its what my local stockist has.  Launched from bowman super 6's or promatic osprey you can count the number of no birds per shoot on one hand.  Considering I go over and manhandle them into the back of my isuzu, handle them again into storage, then drive them up the shoot in an ATV/trailer I think thats pretty incredible. 

Their rabbits though...... I'm dubious about. Either they're crap or our 12 month old 2.5k trap can't throw a rabbit.  I need to get hold of a box off CCI's to test with.

I asked about the price increase for clays today.  My local supplier looks after some fairly big grounds as well us strawbailers, and he's not putting his prices up.  The only cartridge brand not going up in price though is Fiocchi.

I can only imagine it`s the taxes on ammo and clays that bump up the price, most of which is/(was) set by the EU. taxes on so many things are ridiculous, not that we have any say,, but if you want to shoot clays, or whatever else, pay up. as Ben says, he puts his modest profit back into a sport he loves, and not in his pocket.And any ground has to make a profit to make it worthwhile and available to everyone. having said this, to further illustrate my point about local costs, consider that after being packed in a container, taken to dock, put on a boat, sent to South Africa, unloaded and put on a truck,driven 1000 miles to wherever, put in profits and some costs along the way, a club will still make a profit on charging R380-450 per 100 clays,(clay pigeon  co`from UK, ) about £20/£25  per 100 , less for trap/skeet.

28g 7.5 12g are eley 1st for £190 a thousand,, most popular brands are available, (plus locally produced ammo),about the same as uk. all in all,, blame the government for not allowing sporting equipment to be zero rated for tax,,,like the rest of the world.all we can do is pay up,, but don`t blame the grounds ,or firearms/ammo dealers that make it possible to have shooting widely available ,

As a strawbailer I charge 25p.  I go to the clay supplier, store the clays, spend 3 hours on a sunday morning carting traps into place and over an hour putting them away.  Running the shoot requires 2 shoot vehicles that require fuel and maintenance.

If the shoot was a place with a club house, facilities, food etc, maintained shooting ground, good traps etc, i think 32p a clay is very reasonable.  I'm not even in it to make any money, and plough anything i do make back into traps, but grounds that do this for a business have got to survive. 
That was my reason for not naming the ground, it would have been very unfair to criticise them as I honestly had no idea of other clubs prices. So it seems 32p a clay is a pretty fair price these days. Thanks for the info fellow shooters.

I think any ground which takes advantage of 'brexit' to raise prices unreasonably may find that people vote with their wallet.  The pound may well be weak, but other costs have come down - fuel for instance.  

Back