Daily disposable contacts, anyone use them?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonny English

I've enquired at my local opticians about contact lenses for shooting in etc. I have a fairly simple and only slight prescription. Any body else use them for shooting in?

Regards Martin

Modern materials and design mean that most people can wear contacts these days, from simple daily disposables to more complex Hybrid lenses.

Lots of shooters wear lenses successfully and I would say they are a "first choice" mode of correction as they get around issues of blur and "swim" distortion that some budget prescription showering glasses can induce.

It also means the wearer is not limited to which shooting specs they want to use over the top.

So, in all, a great choice!

I have used contacts for the past month or so and it's amazing what a clay looks like when wearing them! I can see everything. Take your time picking a lens to suit you and which you find comfortable otherwise your eyes will feel all gritty. One tip though... Don't get pissed and fall asleep in them! That can cause all sorts of troubles, I learnt the hard way!

I have been using Bi-weekly disposable Toric ones, for the around 3 months now and I wouldn't go back to wearing glasses at all. Struggled at first with putting them in and taking them out but now don't have any problems, takes less than a minute for both. Now use Zeiss shooting glasses, much easier than trying to shoot through my normal everyday glasses. Of course you can have prescription Zeiss lenses.

Thanks chaps, got an appoinment a week wednesday at vision express, they do 2 grades of DD's, 30 for £20 and 30 for £30. I've never tried them before so not sure which to try first at the minute.

Just wanted more choice than prescription glasses all the time, or the choice in rain when game shooting to not where any glasses at all. Prescription shooting glasses tend to be ugly or expensive. You hve a much better choice of standard eyewear if I can get on with lenses.

Thanks again chaps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there! I've been wear contact lenses for around 24 years. The last 12 or so have been daily disposables. I only came back to shooting around 18 months ago after 22 years off but I wouldn't even consider using prescription glasses for shooting unless I couldn't wear the lenses due to irritation. As I normally have to travel a long way to shoots I wear my glasses to drive most of the way then put my lenses in at least 1 hour before I arrive to allow them to settle in. If I'm not likely to get into a shoot off I take them out and put my glasses on as soon as I've finished shooting especially if it is windy or dry conditions. My prescription is quite mild -1.25 in both eyes and I get my lenses off the internet (around £24 for 3 months supply) but I do have a contact lens check with an optician every year to make sure things are ok. Hope this helps and good luck!

Kath

Hi Kath, you wouldn't be the same K Bright showing as a new cap on the England Ladies DTL team? Well done.

Hi there! I've been wear contact lenses for around 24 years. The last 12 or so have been daily disposables. I only came back to shooting around 18 months ago after 22 years off but I wouldn't even consider using prescription glasses for shooting unless I couldn't wear the lenses due to irritation. As I normally have to travel a long way to shoots I wear my glasses to drive most of the way then put my lenses in at least 1 hour before I arrive to allow them to settle in. If I'm not likely to get into a shoot off I take them out and put my glasses on as soon as I've finished shooting especially if it is windy or dry conditions. My prescription is quite mild -1.25 in both eyes and I get my lenses off the internet (around £24 for 3 months supply) but I do have a contact lens check with an optician every year to make sure things are ok. Hope this helps and good luck!

Kath
Thanks Kath, thats great advice, where abouts in the internet do you order your contacts from please?

Regards Martin

I used to wear them. Started with daily ones, went to monthly ones, back to daily ones.

I use Ortho-K lenses now. You wear them overnight and they correct your vision. I can get away with wearing them every other night and have perfect eyesight during the day!

Hi Kath, you wouldn't be the same K Bright showing as a new cap on the England Ladies DTL team? Well done.
I am indeed! Thank you I'm well chuffed!

Had 22 years off and only came back to shooting 18 months ago! :)

Looking forward to Ireland next week but not the 2 ferries and nearly 400 miles of driving!

I have worn contact lenses for quite a few years now, and am currently using monthly disposable one.

I have tried daily disposable lenses, but they are to flimsy for me and I really struggle putting them in my eyes..

Just take your time choosing them and then slowly build your daily wear time up..

Tried a set of clarity hydrogel contacts at dinner time today, got on ok with them. Put a set in tonight to shoot in and got on just as good as normal. Just got to perfect my technique to get them in and out easily, bit of a chore still at the minute. But well worth doing, very pleased with them!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bit of an update. Had my contacts for a couple of months now and shot once a week with them. I'm still wearing glasses on a day to day basis, and wearing daily disposables at a weekend and for shooting.

All I can say is try it. Its loads better than prescrition glasses if you can wear contacts. I've worn inserts for 3 or 4 years in a wrap around lense. Contacts are so much more versatile, more choice of glasses to wear. Choice to wear none at all if game shooting or raining etc.

It took me a week to get used to putting them in, but its well worth sticking with them. I'd recommend anyone to try them!

Latest posts

Back