Cost of Registered Shoots

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think rent and traps really need to accounted for in there somewhere along with tax, so once you put that in and consider that most shoots operate once a fortnight, it doesn't seem bad to me at all. 

Also bear in mind that there will be days (bad weather etc) when they don't get the entries, fixed costs stay the same so it's easy to end up the wrong side of the numbers.

as has been said the market will decide what's too much, and I don't honestly thing adding a few quid to a round would effect the overall turnout. You might lose one or two but you will do that with any change you make.

look at the busiest shoots and see what they charge, it's not often the cheap and cheerful ones that get the numbers.

finally it is a business, if people CAN manage to make a good living from it who are we to argue? Good on them.

Not seen many clay shoot organisers riding bikes or running £500 motors ,they day they charge £40 around here will be the day registered shooting dies .They should do away with birds only and high gun prize and keep it in the classes  

150 shooters @ £35 each               £5250

15 trappers @ £50                            £750

16000 clays @ £60 per 1000             £960 

score cards ancillaries                        £50 

total £1760

£5250 - £1760 = £3490 gross profit 

if you don't like the heat get out of the fire ,it's as expensive as it needs to be 

before you all harp on about rent you should buy your own land as in the end you have something to see for your money and can use it more than one day a fortnight 

You can easily kill the goose that lays the golden egg !
Rent is a factor as is the depreciation accountable towards the traps you'd have to have bought already ! I have no doubt there are also other hidden costs such as fuel, batteries and collecting young trappers. Serving a £50k loan for the traps would be around the £600 mark. If you then deduct VAT from the remainder you'd be left with around £2000 which will then depending on your financial arrangements and business status still leave corporation tax of 25% to be deducted before the remaining £1500 can be called spendable readies.  ;)

My own beef isn't with Steve or EJC charging £40, it's with mad max set ups charging £38  :rolleyes: . I pay £30 at Greenfields as a member so do struggle understanding the figures when pondering the world and peeing into a bucket elsewhere. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Not seen many clay shoot organisers riding bikes or running £500 motors ,they day they charge £40 around here will be the day registered shooting dies .They should do away with birds only and high gun prize and keep it in the classes  

total £1760

before you all harp on about rent you should buy your own land as in the end you have something to see for your money and can use it more than one day a fortnight 
Why should ground owners be riding bikes or driving £500 motors?!?! Do you drive a £500 motor?

You want them to buy the ground...say 40 acres at £5000, there's a £200,000 morgage to service. Then £70k in traps to buy. £3k in batteries. £? Clubhouse. £?k toilets. £?k road into the ground. ...the list is endless!!! 

Steve Lovatt just filled in his potholes with crush and run, I'll bet you that cost him several hundred £ just to fill potholes...aye, but Deershooter wants him to ride a bike or drive a £500 car!!!

Round of golf on a decent course - £50 ( plus astronomical membership fees )

Go flying light aircraft - £200 / hour minimum ( own your own aircraft and the costs are best left uninvestigated ) helicopters ....... different ball game!

Sailing ...... don't get me started! ( and it's generally wet and cold! :)  ) suffice to say that keeping a small boat in Brighton will set you back north of £4k just for parking it!

motor racing ....... oh err!

£40 for a mornings entertainment at a place with a clubhouse, indoor toilets and decent cover is 'reasonable' in my book. I also get a 'handicap' from a national body and see to my scores against everyone else in that price. ( a little too much for a caravan in a field operation though ) 

Haha my old clueless mate again , I really can't be arsed to pull your figures to bits which would take far too much of my time and energy as I'm off to a mid week 100 reg and it costs £40 and it is full up with a waiting list , hope Richard has reserved my spot for the Ferrari today !!! Thankfully I don't have to suffers some fools with this mentality as we attract as other forward thinking grounds attract a value for money day out !!! 

Stick some number plates on the quad. Bit wasteful having a car TOO. 
Always wondered what the sussex police would make of it if I strapped the gun into a holster on the ( very under used ) bicycle, put a slab of shells into a backpack and tootled off to the local club.

Picture the Sussex police helicopter, several armed officers and a roadblock or two with local residents running for the hills! :)

Round of golf on a decent course - £50 ( plus astronomical membership fees )

Go flying light aircraft - £200 / hour minimum ( own your own aircraft and the costs are best left uninvestigated ) helicopters ....... different ball game!

Sailing ...... don't get me started! ( and it's generally wet and cold! :)  ) suffice to say that keeping a small boat in Brighton will set you back north of £4k just for parking it!

motor racing ....... oh err!

£40 for a mornings entertainment at a place with a clubhouse, indoor toilets and decent cover is 'reasonable' in my book. I also get a 'handicap' from a national body and see to my scores against everyone else in that price. ( a little too much for a caravan in a field operation though ) 
If you are a member of a golf club you don't pay green fees every time you play.

For me competition entry fees aren't excessive as you say £40 for several hours entertainment is decent value. The problem with shooting is that practice is expensive. Seve Ballesteros became the best by practicing with one golf club and a few balls on the beach as a kid. Every bang costs money but as Will Hewland said when he came from Motor Sport to shooting he just couldn't spend enough.

If you are a member of a golf club you don't pay green fees every time you play.

For me competition entry fees aren't excessive as you say £40 for several hours entertainment is decent value. The problem with shooting is that practice is expensive. Seve Ballesteros became the best by practicing with one golf club and a few balls on the beach as a kid. Every bang costs money but as Will Hewland said when he came from Motor Sport to shooting he just couldn't spend enough.
He is not trying nearly hard enough! :)

total £1760

if you don't like the heat get out of the fire ,it's as expensive as it needs to be 

I don't understand how people can try and work out figures unless they have experience running a ground. 

When I pay 3p a litre more for petrol in one station do I start picking apart and speculating what they're overheads and profits "could" be.

when I go to a garage and pay £140 for a full service but pay £200 in another do I complain? 

No because unfortunately  I need the service/product they supply.

Clay shooting for most is a hobby and in my opinion hobbies aren't a a necessity they are something paid for with expendable income.

so  if you don't like the price a ground charges go elsewhere, and if the cost becomes too much overall well maybe it's time for a new hobby.

ps nothing personal towards you deershooter but your post stands out with the speculative breakdown of costs.

all the best

total £1760

I have read some dumb posts in my time, but this has to be the worst. No idea whatsoever.

Well would I expect any thing else from you bigoted lot !

most grounds own virtually nothing but a bit of machinery if you do it properly you own the ground ,you open more than once a fortnight or use the ground for another activity ( as some do ) run corporate shoots ,club shoots offer training and lessons and could have 2000 members now that's how to run a business .

What percentage of businesses in this country do you think own the building or land they operate from?

I can't see how anything posted in this thread makes anyone a bigot? 

If anything suggesting how ground owners should be running they're business is bigoted.

Last edited by a moderator:
f***in priceless !!!!! Why would one want to open 7 days a week when I can do it in 3 !!!! I think your local ground , who I know really well deserve a medal to put up with your crap every week !!!

total £1760

Trappers  @ £50 each........., assume you mean scores ?? TBH if you want good experianced, qualified refs you have to pay £10 more than that at least & feed and water them for the day !!!

Fuel for plant, machinery, charging of batteries, cleaning the club house, office admin booking in & doing the scores, ground staff topping up traps, liability & ground insurances.

Difficult to purchase land, as its a premium price !!!

Your costings are from a different era or planet i think !!!  :angel: :baby:

total £1760

you have not included the pool shoot profits deershooter got to be another 2k.?

Remember there is 20%VAT to pay on the total cash to bank. That £35 starts to look a bit sick doesn't it? By the way - is that £35 the total entry price or nett of the prize fund element?

Latest posts

Back