Core Strength

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IT band is non contractile, therefore can't be stretched...TFL can be though. Patella tracking should be sorted through stretches and strengthening as there is likely to be muscle imbalance...

Your last point sounds like a total quack, total nonsense gimmick. Steer clear of gadgets... I agree good and bad in all trades but generally all Physios should be using up to date current research for treatments...

That was my problem with the chiro....re-aligned my pelvis,but didn't work on the muscles and tendons first. So my muscles all down the right side were so tight,it impaired my stride. Osteopath sorted it.

How the hell is muscular and joint manipulation placebo?

I always do my own stretching....my muscles are just too tight!! Lets not forget,I am pounding my body heavily! Last year,I hit a 250kg deadlift,200kg full squat and a 150kg bench. And I'm a plasterer,I'm not sedentary....I don't sit at a desk.

Last edited by a moderator:
IT bands was just one that was mentioned....a muscular imbalance was ruled out because of the size and strength of the muscles surrounding the knee. I'm no fool.

Why do physios recommend using foam rollers on the IT bands if its futile?

How did the chiro realign your pelvis? Did he do some manips on it and make it click? If so, the clicking (in my professional opinion) is just the sound of gas being released from the joint space. When people put their fingers together and make them clickcrack it is just gas being released, no realigning is happening to the fingers. I have the view (along with many other physios) that the clicking noise works as a placebo in making the patient think they have had their spinepelvis 'realigned, which in turn can make the patient think they (in the short term) feel better..... Thing is, we are all slightly different so what looks normal on one person, might not look the same on another but doesn't mean to say that person has a problem.

In my opinion, as physioschirososteos there is generally not a lot we can do for arthrogenic problems (we can't make spines realign unless you are a spinal surgeon with a metal rod, we can't make degeneration of a joint go away) but what we can do is to strengthenstretch the soft tissues around the area of problem to help reduce pain and maintainincrease mobility. We can help to free up the spinous process if it is stiff but realigning is quite different.

Muscle imbalance can still happen even when someone is obviously very strong. The global strength of a joint can be good but individual muscles can have an imbalance due to either weakness or tightness which can lead to problems.

I've had the discussiondisagreement with a physio at work about the ITB and foam rollers.... Yes, you can stretch the glutes and the TFL which leads (TFL) into the ITB is non contractile therefore you can't really have an effect on it by trying to stretch it http://www.physiodc.com/foam-rolling-for-the-itb-why-am-i-doing-this-again/

A good physio wouldn't suggest trying to stretch it as it is a waste of time......

No clicking was done by the chiro. It was deliberate jolting the pelvis round. Beforehand,when stood upright,if you drew a line through the hip bones it would have ran at an angle to the body. After,the hip bones were aligned, the line would have ran straight. Like I said,I'm not a fool. I agree with you about the gas.

I don't have arthritis,nor any sign of it. Confirmed by blood tests.

You said it yourself...."imbalance due to tightness" which was sorted by the osteopath,as I already said. Also you mention maintaining the problem area,by softening,which is exactly what is being done.

I've really no idea about the ITB,like I say it was just one of the things mentioned. But I see the foam rollers touted by the physios at the gym all the time for 'tight ITB's'.

Osteopathy is the best of both worlds,they do exactly what a physio would/does/can do,but can also work on the skeletal frame if needed.

some physios still use accupunctureelectrotherapy etc but there is pretty poor evidence behind both and accupuncture has been around for thousands of years. It's not to say that some people don't get benefit from these treatments but the evidence suggests that placebo can have a strong influence on the relief the patient feels....I'm a firm believer in that if a person strongly believesis influenced by therapist in a form of treatment then it can have a positve effect but is that the mind effecting the problem or the treatment?....my money is on the mind...

Rheumatoid Arthritis can be ruled inout by bloods but Osetoarthritis is degenerative and only really can be diagnosed by xray. I'm not suggesting that your problem is OA by the way as you are far too young but I was using arthrogenic (joint problems) as an example.

Don't worry, I certainly don't think you are a fool but physiologically, I can't see how some mainps can realign pelvis? I can see how tight muscles can make the pelvis not work as it should, therefore stretches of the muscles can help but I still question (not you but your chiro) how he realigned them by doing some manips.....Some joints can be mobilised to make them less stiff but I really question whether any of us can realign them as some therapists suggest...

Any qualified physio who says you can stretch the ITB needs to go back to uni or read up on the make up of the tissue and they will find that they can't stretch it....if the foam rollers actually do anything, they are stretching the muscles higher up (TFL).....

Are you at Westfield on Sunday? Be good to meet up over a tea....

Are you at Westfield on Sunday? Be good to meet up over a tea....
This was going to be my exact next reply! Yeah man,I'll be there. Shooting Longridge first,but imagine we'll get there about 12:30-1ish. I can show you how the chiro jolted the pelvis round....it's hard to explain! PM your number and I'll drop you a text when we're on our way,see if you're still around. :)

P.S I don't have acupuncture or electro therapy and to say its all in the mind,is to say your therapies are also. As that's basically what she's using.

No probs champ, should still be there. If not, will catch up soon.

I like it when people make me justify my answers.....makes me think a bit more about stuff....

number PM'd

as morrissey once sang, 'does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body, I dunno'.....possibly a bit of both

strengthening and stretches have physiological changes to the tissue, that is what I use for a lot of my treatments. To be fair to Osteos they 'can' have some benefit for back pain but there is little evidence to support a lot of the problems that they think they can fix like asthma, digestive problems and period pain....

just read about one that claims they can treat babies that need winding, constipation, poor sleep and concentration with osteopathy.....haha #wereistheevidence

mind you, being a Physio I will always be biased towards Physiotherapy.....It would be bad for business if i wasn't..... :biggrin:

some physios still use accupunctureelectrotherapy etc but there is pretty poor evidence behind both and accupuncture has been around for thousands of years. It's not to say that some people don't get benefit from these treatments but the evidence suggests that placebo can have a strong influence on the relief the patient feels....I'm a firm believer in that if a person strongly believesis influenced by therapist in a form of treatment then it can have a positve effect but is that the mind effecting the problem or the treatment?....my money is on the mind...
The placebo effect runs at up to 60%, which is pretty damn good! But in regards to your point about acupuncture, ISTR reading a paper probably three years ago about how the effect of sticking a needle through a myofascial membrane would result in the membrane turning from tight and rigid to the exact opposite. It was peer reviewed and the osteopath I was seeing at the time sent it to me after an interesting conversation. 

Back