Core Strength

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nick Selby said :-

" Potentially any exercise has a risk attached to it "

That is good enough advice for me to not indulge in this sweaty pastime, mines a pint of Banks's Original, thank you, so kind.
haha, exercise makes a pint taste so much better though....

Nick, I always struggle to get started on my first layout of skeet unless I get a practice round in first. As its a wind back/rotation discipline, any tips on warming up exercises beforehand when a practice round isn't available? 

How about just swinging your gun,simulating shooting a round?....or just twisting your torso with a pretend gun being held if there's nowhere to safely do it with a gun.

Lots to learn out there guys....just keep going!

How about just swinging your gun,simulating shooting a round?....or just twisting your torso with a pretend gun being held if there's nowhere to safely do it with a gun.
Have tried that, but still can't seem to get going until peg 5 or 6 :(  

Have tried that, but still can't seem to get going until peg 5 or 6 :(
Interesting. I wondered if that'd be your reply. I'm exactly the same....I don't think it's a case of solely warming your muscles up,I think it's more so the brain. If I don't start with a pool shoot,my brain is just not ready on the first few stands. Gun swing is slow,i'm hesitant and confidence is low. It doesn't matter if I shoot the pool badly even,it's almost like reminding the brain what it needs to do.....and of course,the pool shoot doesn't count,so it's easier to let yourself go from the start.

You may well have a point there mate :) I think I might have to start sitting in the car and shooting the round in my head, then get the muscles warm through some exercises. At least with skeet I know where they are coming from :)

I've tried doing that,seeing the targets,then visually imagined shooting them. It didn't work for me.....maybe I have a crap imagination. I think there's a major mind to muscle connection involved. So I need to actually shoot to warm up. On seeing the clay the mind fires up,releasing hormones (adrenaline),heart rate speeds up,blood rushes to the muscles,which in turn prepares them,sharpens your vision,focuses and prepares you. I don't get the same emotion from imagining myself shooting. It's just controlling the amount of adrenaline I sometimes get. Fine line.

Last edited by a moderator:
All that it a split second.....wow..!

Only thing is ......that most shooters try to control their heartbeat.....they do not want it pumping away in their ear plugs in an over excited state.

Hence the mental approach thingies :wink:

Over the course of a few shots Nicola. But depending on the stimulus,yes,all that in a split second.

Exactly,which is why I say fine line. I don't want my heart rate racing either....but sometimes it does. Yes,hence the mental thingy.

Yeap.....hate hearing boom boom boom in the ear plug :laugh:

Talking of plugs....lost one of my moulded plugs in Portugal last week and devastated as to what to do now. .....I hate cans.....but cannot bear the pain of having new plugs made.....I.ended up shooting with one push in foamey.....and one moulded.

That was unusual to say the least.....unbalanced noise levels in each ear.....forced more concentration though....so interesting experience all round.

Tried the push in plastic (spiral looking) plugs.......OMG.....25euros to find out that they were painful to wear .....and absolutely sh*te....!!

Go through the trauma of getting moulds done one last time Nic, but get them from Emtec. They keep your moulds so if you lose one they can make it from stock as it were :)

Go through the trauma of getting moulds done one last time Nic, but get them from Emtec. They keep your moulds so if you lose one they can make it from stock as it were :)
They were the first people I ever used.....doubt they will keep them 20 years.....but might be worth a call....Thanks Fuzzy for the reminder :smile:

Lots of evidence to suggest that sport specific dynamic stretches are the way forward, Fuz..like Aspire said about replicating the movement of the gun swing...also agree with aspire that getting the mind in the right place is important too and that is where the mental skills come in....

Last edited by a moderator:
I certainly feel that physical fitness can help with shooting, but not necessarily as you would think. I dont think, being realistic, a fully grown man shoukld struggle strength wise to control a 8-9lb gun, as ompared to what we are designed to shift, it isnt very much.

I think it adds more to the ability to concentrate toward the end of a shoot, when someone in wore shape coukd be flagging both physically and therfore mentally.

Thats my take on it though; a few warm ups certainly wouldnt hurt.

Yep, im no fitness expert but lifting a 8lb gun a few times shouldn't cause anyone too much problem but lifting it 100+ times can fatigue people. From an injury prevention point of view, some dynamic stretches would be beneficial prior to shooting as with any sport....

Plus rotar cuff stuff..... for me.......it is done in a very hot shower each morning of the shooting.....then mid day ones to keep it from stiffening up.

Then very large gins at night seem to work just fine :laugh:

Last edited:
Back