Competition and Practice ammo?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreeShot

Hi guys

I am about to purchase another batch of ammo. So far I have always had cheap (er) 24g (Hull Intercomp HV or Cheddite UT) cartridge for practice and fast 28g (Hull Sovereign Parcour or Cheddite Mach3) for competition.

Now what do you think - is it worth (price aside) having 2 different shells - or should I just buy one load and use it for all the shooting - practice an competition?

Personally I like to practice with what I shoot in a comp, you get used to the recoil, how the clay breaks etc.

I am not getting into the debate that more expensive automatically means better but there will be a difference in how they shoot between 24g and 28g. If you are used to something then use something different it can cause doubt in your mind if you miss, just in your mind if nothing else.  

While practicing you might blame the miss on the non competition cartridge rather than looking at your technique or in a comp not settling for the first few stands as the gun feels different ie recoil. 

Just my view on it, I pick a cart I am happy with on availability, price and shooting then stick with that until I run out.  

I imagine it would make more of a difference if you are shooting serious numbers of targets. I shoot 100 targets a week, so 400 a month. 

Assuming I am buying by the 1000 a very quick break down of costs per month would be:

Entry level: Gamebore Velocity (£177 a thou)

100 birds = £17.72 or £70.88 a month

Midrange: Fiocchi FBlack (£190 a thou)

100 birds = £19 or £76 a month

High end: Hull Sovereign Parcours (£248 a thou)

100 birds = £24.80 or £99.20 a month

I'm quite happy to stick with FBlacks for all round use, I have confidence in them for both practice and competitions. I guess it comes down to the volume that you shoot, I don't shoot much at all so I am happy with the extra £6 a month over an entry level shell.

Pick a good mid-priced shell that you can get hold of easily and stick with it for everything.

I imagine it would make more of a difference if you are shooting serious numbers of targets. I shoot 100 targets a week, so 400 a month. 

Assuming I am buying by the 1000 a very quick break down of costs per month would be:

Entry level: Gamebore Velocity (£177 a thou)

100 birds = £17.72 or £70.88 a month

Midrange: Fiocchi FBlack (£190 a thou)

100 birds = £19 or £76 a month

High end: Hull Sovereign Parcours (£248 a thou)

100 birds = £24.80 or £99.20 a month

I'm quite happy to stick with FBlacks for all round use, I have confidence in them for both practice and competitions. I guess it comes down to the volume that you shoot, I don't shoot much at all so I am happy with the extra £6 a month over an entry level shell.
I really like the way you have put that. If you think about it seriously the question has to be how much can you afford because lets face it looking at your case the difference between the high end and the bargain basement is only about £30 a month or £7.50 per week some folk will waste more than that on cigs and alcohol per day !!! If  good cartridges are something that settles your mind allowing you to concentrate on shooting then money well spent... can't believe I just said that the Scottish gene never even glimmered :)

Alright - thanks for your input - makes sence - will stick with one cartridge (as long as it doesn´t affect my living) :)

I agree with the stick with one cart philosophy.

I ran out the other week and someone handed me a box of their 28g carts (I use 28g too) and they were noticeably different in sound and recoil - I'm far from small so noticing the recoil was a bit of a shock.  To avoid that sort of shock it would make sense to practice with both carts, which defeats the purpose of having two in the first place.

Note to self: must not get sucked into "go on, let's go for another few stands" when not carrying much ammo.

I believe you are right - I wish I will get there once to actually live by this truth, till then cheapest cartridge in my barrel does funny things to my mind.

Latest posts

Back