Clay trap

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simon123

Been looking on for a clay trap for a while now, and as the auto/electric ones are pretty expensive for what i want one for.. I only want one for the odd practice once or twice a year with a few of friends.

I seen this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DOUBLE-ARM-MANUAL-SEATED-CLAY-PIGEON-TRAP-CLAY-TARGET-THROWER-RABBIT-TRAP-DT500-/300646819322?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item45fff265fa&clk_rvr_id=785751050632&rmvSB=true

Has anyone got one or seen one?

What are they like?

It seems like a good idea as it looks as it can throw any type of clay... form going away/crossers, rabbit and loopers

Its a good cheap trap go for it, but be careful they can hurt you if you do not take care  :blackeye:  

Hi

I wouldn't bother with one of these traps, whilst they look ok for the money the are cheaply made and not that good (in my experience at least).

We purchased one for a small straw baler shoot I used to regularly attend, the springs are not very powerful, yes you can wind in some tension but still not much power in them especially with two clays on one arm.

We had to reinforce several bits with additional plating, welding etc. the adjustments for height / angle are a pain to adjust, you need sockets and spanners and have to undo quite far before they can be adjusted then tightened.

Generally more trouble than they are worth, you'd be better served with a couple of bowmans.

Cheers

Hi

I wouldn't bother with one of these traps, whilst they look ok for the money the are cheaply made and not that good (in my experience at least).

We purchased one for a small straw baler shoot I used to regularly attend, the springs are not very powerful, yes you can wind in some tension but still not much power in them especially with two clays on one arm.

We had to reinforce several bits with additional plating, welding etc. the adjustments for height / angle are a pain to adjust, you need sockets and spanners and have to undo quite far before they can be adjusted then tightened.

Generally more trouble than they are worth, you'd be better served with a couple of bowmans.

Cheers
He said it was not for regular use ! Bowman's are a lot more expensive !

I have one of the 3/4 cocking ones by the same firm.  I had a problem with it initially as the rubber on the one of the trap arms was too thin causing the clay to break.  It was striking the metal arm and not spinning it as it released.  The company sent a replacement rubber which solved the problem.  I think I need another rubber soon as it seems to be starting to have the same problem on one arm.  

It is nowhere near as good as a proper bowman trap but it good for a bit of fun practicing with my brother in the field.  It is adjustable to throw whatever target you want.  It comes with a tool to make all the adjustments.  The only thing you need to be wary of is that it would be possible to set the trap arms to strike each other in certain positions when they are released.

Although I have no experience of a twin arm manual trap, I would urge you to stick with a SINGLE arm with a double clay facility. I can see the possibility for an all too easy accident to occur otherwise. I have had the misfortune to witness several accidents caused by operator error with both electric and manual traps. All resulted in serious injury. At least with a single arm, the operator can release it easily to change angles  , stock up with clays or even have a break. REMEMBER, even if it is only being used by a group of Friends and an accident occurs, Health and Safety will have a field day (no pun intended), probably resulting with a prosecution.

Where are you based ? I may be selling mine soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No but have a friend who makes 300 clay carousel traps in Suffolk . Around £600

Good old greasey your mate ain't he Phil ?? .

Back