CEO of CPSA to step down

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.cpsa.co.uk/news/head-office/2018/02/06/cpsa-chief-executive-moving-on/5017

It looks like Nick Fellows has taken up a role with the BEF. I wonder who will be filling the CEO role?
Please oh please let it be someone useful not a clown looking for something to put on his CV,this is the best news i have this year.

Still spouting bullsh*t to big himself up in his statement!

I pity BEF ..

But i rejoice that we have the opportunity to get someone who really cares about the sport and association to take the lead 

cheering-gif-5.gif

I do wish you wouldn’t beat about the bush....just get to the point will you ?

Please oh please let it be someone useful not a clown looking for something to put on his CV,this is the best news i have this year.

Still spouting bullsh*t to big himself up in his statement!

I pity BEF ..

But i rejoice that we have the opportunity to get someone who really cares about the sport and association to take the lead 

I’m not sure I really agree with this. Nick Fellows hasn’t been the calamity some suggest, the problem is he hasn’t brought the wholesale change I hoped he, as an outsider, would.

After a succession of board appointed CEO puppets I hoped he’d make the changes needed to end the self interest and place the sport on a more professional footing. To some extent, he’s succeeded but really he’s only tinkered at the edges. The same old faces have continued to call the shots (pardon the pun). The board still pushes its own agenda, the same old sweats that have sat on it for years continue to rule the roost. Nick has been sucked into that and often seems little more than their mouthpiece.

I sincerely hope whoever replaces him will push the sports governance forward into the modern age. Sadly, because the board appoint his successor,  i’m not too confident.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry but i disagree with some of the comments above.

When i discussed the choice of venue for the English Open Sporting with a board member, i was advised that the board have NO sayso or input in choice of event & it was solely a decission made by HQ staff & the CEO.........??

Just when you think things could not get any worse !

Now I have to sell my horse.

I would love to know some ideas off the couple of negative people what they think is a good idea to move CPSA onwards , it's all too easy to sit back and moan but when I ask , give me an example faces go blank !!!!

If you include me as one of the negative contributors Steve , perhaps you should hark back to one CEO taking his Golf clubs to San Antonio, and the last one and Mr. Bobbett preferring to visit Dallas South Fork rather than the opening ceremony. Then perhaps you could remind me of the massive leaps forward the association has made in the last seven years under Nick's guidance .

No doubt the Board have already got someone in mind ?

I would love to know some ideas off the couple of negative people what they think is a good idea to move CPSA onwards , it's all too easy to sit back and moan but when I ask , give me an example faces go blank !!!!
No more massive legal expenses would be a good start!

No more saying it was wonderful when in fact it was crap.

Giving the shooters what they really want and letting them vote for it  not the county,regional,national,board route to things which people will generally never get involved in and others lose the will to live trying..

Putting to good  use some of the mass of funds they have in the bank,the we need to keep a large amount of cash in the bank for costs doesn't wash when you have a constant income from membership renewal and it is growing year on year.

For example helping with funding for our commonwealth shooting team.

Making national/international shoots more of an event rather than hoping someone else other than Teague and Laporte will turn up,there seems to be no event management.

Showing up at other events with stands/merchandise/have a go stand,etc...they keep saying they want to encourage more to shoot i have seen them nowhere but their own events.

In other words,be proactive in raising the profile of the sport in the UK !

BASC seem to do far more to get youngsters into shooting if not particularly clays.

I have no dog in this fight TBH because i have no view on the positives / negatives of the CEO

I would add to some of the comments above the following...

1). Promote and give a s**t about events and disciplines outside of the olympic disciplines and sporting. There are thousands of shooters out there dedicated to their chosen discipline who attend majors where in effect it is no different to a standard registered Sunday as no effort was put in. 

Sure i accept that one is the biggest participant discipline and the others carry with them the "prestige" but even so that does not mean that other disciplines should be ignored. 

2). Get over the fact that kids with wealthy parents are the future of the sport.... utter nonsense IMO..... you want to increase participation then you need that no kids, good income group OR grown up kids, still working group. 

3). Be at and visit grounds that are NOT holding registered. Surround themselves with those every week shooters who go to their local club and spend similar money to registered shooting but just shooting. Find out what it would take for those grounds to "go registered" and take their regulars along with them. Maybe even supply / volunteer to do X number of events for them coaching and guiding them on how to fill in shoot reports / submit scores. Show the shooters and grounds its not complicated... show their customers there is nothing to be afraid of by registering scores and shooting competition - tell them about birds only and such like. 

Harsh truth is by vendors and associations being at majors they are in a very limited market which is all too often already equipped and does not need what is on offer. Once you have your kit how often do you upgrade or renew?  Focus needs to be on that "not involved" sector but who still shoot - find that way to grab them. 

4). Team up with and work with the various other associations..... so maybe have a "cross membership program" where by if you join us we also give you access to X association for the next 12 months. Instead of seeing other associations as competition learn to work together! 

eg:- a). Did you realise that if you join our association it gives you insurance which you could then use to enter FEDECAT events - here is a flyer for them.

b). Ah sir / madam you like skeet? Did you realise that you could get into NSSA skeet aswell. Here is a flyer for them that gives you 12 months free membership to that association aswell when you enter an event. A few of our CPSA registered grounds offer both on the same day.  Have you heard of the English Skeet Club - they offer events under our registered banner aswell. Here are some details. Did you also realise that there is also Olympic skeet and this is accessed through the BICTSF and British Shooting - here is some details about them. There is also the One Hundred Straight Club -........

c). You prefer sporting - have you heard of FITASC and NSCA - they offer ......... here are details. Thisis how you can get involved.

TBH it is not frigging difficult but everyone is so damn concerned about keeping their slice of the pie that they forget shooting is so intertwined and there is so much potential for growth by working together instead of trying to oppose each other all the time. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back