Cartridge selection

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yorkiets

Is there a rule of thumb for cartridge selection for sporting clays?

do I need a choice of cartridges for different targets, high tower driven, long distance crossers etc...?

or do I just stick to 23g (I think) club cartridges?

Is there a rule of thumb for cartridge selection for sporting clays?

do I need a choice of cartridges for different targets, high tower driven, long distance crossers etc...?

or do I just stick to 23g (I think) club cartridges?
28 gram is the norm, only nèed to change shot size sometimes but if you are a novice do not let that get into your head !

Cheers, you’re right the ones I have are 28g 7.5s, my mistake.

so unless I’m shooting skeet  or trap just stick to the above for everything?

Yep, also some other good advice I was given was to buy as many as you can afford and store of the cheapest, regularly available cartridges that you like, this makes you less inclined to swap and change cartridges and helps with consistency 

You might just as well use them for 'everything' inclusive.

Hi There,

I Have been recently experimenting with various cartridges to see if they break clays just as well as 28g and found that 21g and 24g perform just as good as my usual hull comp x 28g. 

I would suggest trying out various 21g and 24g to see what works for you as that will save you couple of quid in carts that you can spend on clays. They are also less thumpy on the shoulder if that bothers you.

I think you may want to have 28g for a really far away targets. 

F

Hi There,

I Have been recently experimenting with various cartridges to see if they break clays just as well as 28g and found that 21g and 24g perform just as good as my usual hull comp x 28g. 

I would suggest trying out various 21g and 24g to see what works for you as that will save you couple of quid in carts that you can spend on clays. They are also less thumpy on the shoulder if that bothers you.

I think you may want to have 28g for a really far away targets. 

F
Interesting, I haven’t  found 28gr to be any different at distance, infact I’m sure 24gr patterns better which makes me more consistent, the downside is I miss out on flook clays which is sometimes all I have ..

Interesting, I haven’t  found 28gr to be any different at distance, infact I’m sure 24gr patterns better which makes me more consistent, the downside is I miss out on flook clays which is sometimes all I have ..
I have a problem with some flookin clays too !

Last edited by a moderator:
Back