Best Colour Lens For A Colour Blind Shooter.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jezza42

Hi Guys

Just wondered if anyone can throw a bit of advice or help my way please.

I suffer from green/ brown and blue/purple colour blindness.

When shooting i am seeing what i am seeing, but I'm wondering if there is a specific lens colour/type that would help me see more if you know what i mean?

The picture i see is how its always been, but am i seeing it as good and defined as a person who is not colour blind?

If anyone else suffers from colour blindness or anyone has advice on lens and colours that may help, your advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance  :nyam:

Atb 

Ian

I'm sure Mr Ed Lyons will be along soon.

I have a pair of shooting glasses with custom tinted lenses from Ed. He uses special equipment to find the colour / colours that work best for you. It really is amazing the difference it makes.

EEEEEDDDDDDD

Is this that tricky? Surely you borrow (or buy cheaply) a multi coloured set and just look at different clays at different backgrounds to see what works for YOU. Don't shoot. Just walk round a good shoot and look at everything through different colours?

His Eyeness (@EdLyons) does some fabulous work with individual colour perception. It's like looking through a choice of 10,000 lenses to find exactly the right one. 

If you are not ready to be assimilated and have your sports vision consultation I have no idea how you would compare other than looking through different coloured lenses or possibly sheets of coloured film such as those used in Irlen syndrome testing.

Last edited by a moderator:
you could ask your mates to try their shooting glasses to see if they have any lens that suit & help you better than your own ones, what sort of shooting glasses are you using now ? 

you could ask your mates to try their shooting glasses to see if they have any lens that suit & help you better than your own ones, what sort of shooting glasses are you using now ? 
At the moment i have just got a cheap pair of Top Gun glasses.

I will be trying some Red and Blue lens tomorrow to see if they make a difference 

I think the advice given is sound! If you're with friends and are able to try their lenses, that will be a simple way to determine what works for you.

As Clever says, probably best to do a walk around and concentrate purely on colour effect/perception rather than trying to shoot too.

I'm sure it would make an interesting thread if you can log your observations for us!

Enjoy!

Ed

Well I shot Garlands yesterday with a red lens, it felt really good and vision seemed clearer than usual, shot a new PB too so they certainly didn't do any harm :)

They do two lenses that are red to look AT, but not red to look through...

Positive Red is a grey tint and OO Red Iridium is grey/roseish contrast enhancer.

G30 is pinkish.

There are red lenses available for pretty much every other brand, Top Gun, Randolph, Decot, Pilla, Straub etc

Happy experimenting!

Sure - in the OLD Pilla lenses, there are the 20 Red, 25 Red and 50 Red, the bigger the number the lighter the lens.

Vermillion in the Randolphs work very well and is a third of the price.

Think I need me some Gandalf Glasses! :wizard:

Latest posts

Back