Barrel Length

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tunnie

Hi all,

So I've posted up before about gun storage, today I went down Chalky Hill shooting to get some practice in. I met with Duncan who let me hire a gun, I did 2x50 bird shoots and loved every shot!

Some of the stands I nailed them getting 4/4 or 6/6 others, could not hit a barn door. Although I got better in the second round, this was my 3rd outing I was getting around 25 ish per round of 50. So 50% hit ratio on average, quite pleased with this. 

So two main questions points:

1) I tend to shoot one eye closed, I'm right handed and I was closing my left eye. But general advice was I should shoot both eyes open, I plan to do this next time. Thoughts?

2) I was given a loan gun of a 686 Beretta, which had 28" barrel. I'm 6ft5, I've been advised before I should look at 30"? - Will it make *that* much of a difference?

Oh and thanks to all chaps at Chalky Hill, very warm welcome by all there.

Cheers 

1) providing you have  a right master eye then yes you should really shoot with both eyes open (not having a right master eye is not a total deal breaker)

2) you will find 30" easier to shoot well with, 32" will almost certainly be even better but that doesn't mean 34" is better still

Thanks, right eye master? Could you be more specific?

I might ask if they have a 30" I can use on loan  :smile:
With both eyes open, point your finger at a small distant object (such as the 12 on your wall clock, but anything will do). Shut your left eye. Is your finger still pointing directly at the object? If it is, you are right eye dominant. Definitely shoot with both eyes open.

You may be left eye dominant, in which case your finger will appear to the left of the object. You will need to shut your left eye to shoot, or put a bit of tape over your left lense on your glasses so that the left eye cannot see the muzzle. 

Its also possible to be mid-dominant, where neither eye picks up the object perfectly. Same thing, obscure the left eye to shoot. 

Last edited by a moderator:
With both eyes open, point your finger at a small distant object (such as the 12 on your wall clock, but anything will do). Shut your left eye. Is your finger still pointing directly at the object? If it is, you are right eye dominant. Definitely shoot with bother eyes open.

You may be left eye dominant, in which case your finger will appear to the left of the object. You will need to shut your left eye to shoot, or put a bit of tape over your left lense on your glasses so that the eye cannot see the muzzle. 

Its also possible to be mid dominant, where neither eye picks up the object perfectly. Same thing, obscure the left eye to shoot. 

Well put Will :smile:

Thanks, right eye master? Could you be more specific?

I might ask if they have a 30" I can use on loan  :smile:
Most people have one eye slightly stronger than the other which does the lions share of the pointing of the barrels, a few people will have central vision which is either or. Typically a right handed person will have a right master eye which is just as well because cross master eye shooters need to apply one of four different solutions. 

So just done your test, yes, my position does not change. As I sit here on the latop, I pointed at the door handle, shut left eye and the position does not change. If I shut my right eye, the position does change. So that's settled that! Thanks will always shoot both eyes open now!

Now it's just matter of will a 28" be suitable to learn with for a while? 

So just done your test, yes, my position does not change. As I sit here on the latop, I pointed at the door handle, shut left eye and the position does not change. If I shut my right eye, the position does change. So that's settled that! Thanks will always shoot both eyes open now!Now it's just matter of will a 28" be suitable to learn with for a while? 
For what it's worth, as a beginner I found a 28" easier to learn with as there is less barrel hanging out front to cause fatigue from holding it for longer as you sort your mount and take most shots with the gun in your shoulder etc. Even a well balanced 32" gun will have the effect of feeling heavier to a new shooter.

Once you develop and are perhaps able to spend less time holding the gun up and potentially starting shots from a gun down position, the longer barrels start to come into their own and help you to be steadier when taking your shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it is NOT your gun that you are using, then the barrel length is irrelevant. Can I suggest that you book a shooting lesson and ask these questions of the Instructor, who, seeing you shooting a gun, would be in a better position to answer them, even asking advice on gun selection. When you come to get your own gun, go somewhere that will allow you to try various guns/barrel lengths and make your own mind up. Having acquired your own gun, 10 minutes practice per day, lifting the gun to and from your shoulder will help build the upper arm/chest muscles. Then just enjoy your shooting for a while before making any more changes.

can I just add to the eye dominance thing... if the comb on the gun is too low for you it will effect your eye dominance.

If it is too low the rib or even the leaver (assuming its an O/U and depending on how low it is) actually covers part of your eye and then your left eye will take over, being 6ft 5" you might find a standard gun needs raising

Back