Barrel length / chokes / extenders

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Green

Evening,

Any ideas on this please?

if my boy tried using longer extended / heaver chokes, (say pure golds or ???) would or could it give the feel of using a longer barrel, to see if a 32 inch barrel would be better for him than his 30? The reason behind the question is to maybe slow his swing slightly on the far targets. (rather than change the barrel or gun)

He has a 682 Gold e, 30 inch opti

I can see this may upset the guns balance a little but wondered if anyone has tried this and if this is false economy or has worked for anyone.

best wishes,

John

Evening,

Any ideas on this please?

if my boy tried using longer extended / heaver chokes, (say pure golds or ???) would or could it give the feel of using a longer barrel, to see if a 32 inch barrel would be better for him than his 30? The reason behind the question is to maybe slow his swing slightly on the far targets. (rather than change the barrel or gun)

He has a 682 Gold e, 30 inch opti

I can see this may upset the guns balance a little but wondered if anyone has tried this and if this is false economy or has worked for anyone.

best wishes,

John
Why not go to a shooting ground with a shop and trail 32'' ....

Or just try moving your for hand further forward on the for end, this would slow it down and save money

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Bigroo,

Im a bit reluctant to let him shoot another gun, too much change for him but the hand position sounds good to try

john

That's exactly why I have 2.25" steel barell extensions in my gun. Give it a go; will take a bit of getting used to handling wise but you will be able to get an idea of how he will cope with it

Link to steel barrel extensions,

http://www.continentalshooting.co.uk/shop/supplies/product_details.aspx?id=1324

To all intents and purposes 32" is just a matter of when not if, particularly with someone like your son who by the looks of it is going to progress towards the top. Chokes can affect balance of course but I'm not sure they'll be comparable to actually imparting the finer differences between barrel lengths.

He will likely be better off honing his skills for a while more yet so when he does change he bas less to contend with in making the transition. If he just wants to try longer sighting planes or barrels for a comparison then I'm sure others shooting such a gun would be more than willing to let him have a swing or shot. If I bump into you any time please feel free to approach me for a chat etc, he is welcome to swap barrels onto his action for a feel.

Thanks, this is great and appreciated,

some really clear advice

Regards,

John

Adding so much weight to the end of the barrel will make the shotgun have a dumbell effect. It will be much less livelier with so much less "momentun of inertia" which makes a shotgun lively!

The Lone Canadian

Henry

Adding so much weight to the end of the barrel will make the shotgun have a dumbell effect. It will be much less livelier with so much less "momentun of inertia" which makes a shotgun lively!

The Lone Canadian

Henry
agreed, but this all depends on how you personally want a shotgun to handle

This any use?

img069.jpg

Sorry, I'll lie...great help, spot on, all the info required to make up anyone's mind about "barrel extensions"... ;) :)

Take a chill pill...or have a few bottles of Stella mate, just Stella :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Trying hard to be nice to you here...remember, if you want to poke a rattle snake with a stick, don't complain if you get bitten...

Latest posts

Back