Are you safe?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it is time to move on.

As always, whenever there is an accident people will say " Well who'd have thought it " .

Too late, too late, the cry rang out.

Click! Bang! Oops ! "Well who'd have thought it ? I didn't realise it was loaded."  " Is he alright? "

Hamster,

It is obviously a total waste of time trying to reason with you.

The correct procedure is universally accepted to partially remove the gun from the slip, operate the toplever and open the gun and then remove the gun completely from the slip displaying to any observers that the gun is open and empty.
Breaking your gun as you pull it from it's slip is as much to do with visually showing everyone else around you that your gun is unloaded and safe, instantly putting them at ease with the knowledge that your gun is safe. It is polite etiquette to do so. It even makes it easy'r to remove the gun from slip when the barrels are broken. It's as much, if not more for every one else's peace of mind as it is for mere safety...

I agree Salop.

Some of the comments are just not making sense on here any more. This thread was asked by a relatively new shooter wanting to know safety, best practice...call it what you will.

So to all new shooters reading this.....please do as the majority advise and that it to break your gun when loading or unloading it from a slip. That way you will always be safe.

When you are more familiar with shooting as a sport, its safety issues and your own gun you may want to alter how you do this and adopt a flamboyant, or more simpler style if there is one, or develop your own way, ......but for now the most important thing is .........learn correctly and stay safe....!!

Breaking your gun as you pull it from it's slip is as much to do with visually showing everyone else around you that your gun is unloaded and safe, instantly putting them at ease with the knowledge that your gun is safe. It is polite etiquette to do so. It even makes it easy'r to remove the gun from slip when the barrels are broken. It's as much, if not more for every one else's peace of mind as it is for mere safety...
I quite agree Darky. 

(We posted at the same time).

So to all new shooters reading this.....please do as the majority advise and that it to break your gun when loading or unloading it from a slip. That way you will always be safe.

When you are more familiar with shooting as a sport, its safety issues and your own gun you may want to alter how you do this and adopt a flamboyant, or more simpler style if there is one, or develop your own way, ......but for now the most important thing is .........learn correctly and stay safe....!!
I was taught to do that by NickyT before i even started shooting. 

Have never had the need to use the safety catch. Only load my gun at the stand, and if i get distracted or stop (when listening to a coach), i break the gun.

Back