Are you safe?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I once nearly had my foot blown off by an unloaded gun on a rough shoot. Discharged literally inches from my foot.

Last edited by a moderator:
re style on clay grounds Nic, I find its best if my loader breaks the gun down completely after every stand, putting it back into the motor case....always proven empty that way...hahahaha

I break the gun immediately after removing from the slip, just not quite into this break it whilst it's inside the slip thing and it is always pointing at the ground and my finger nowhere near the trigger anyway, so no need to teach me how to suck eggs. 

Well we had fun experimenting today....lots of people tried it. After much deliberation....

Max Style points went to opening the zip half way down and easily opening the action and lift from slip....then newbies carried over their arm to the stand and experts carried over shoulder :smile:

Reverse of this used to put gun away.

Tit points we given along with much laughter to all those attempting the keep the gun closed and remove from slip....short people really struggled with this as their arms were not long enough.....coupled with cries of.....'you must be joking'. Tall people could complete the task but wondered who had thought it up.

Then being true to having a full experiment ....we used the throw technique to see if that was easier to get the gun out whole......this was where you half zipped the slip and with two hands on the gun you flipped your slip off. This also led to falling about with laughter and drew a bit of a crowd.

I had to stop them when they tried to see which make of gun was the best for the flip technique.....!!

So after a thorough test with an ever growing crowd wanting to have a go.....all voted for 'zip and brake' technique.

(Funnily enough I cannot put on here what they thought of other people using the other methods for real......but it was not the word 'arsehole' if I remember rightly...... :smile: )

So experiment over for today......how did anyone else get on with their experiment......and did you have as much fun as we did??

Last edited:
Tit points we given along with much laughter to all those attempting the keep the gun closed and remove from slip....short people really struggled with this as their arms were not long enough.....coupled with cries of.....'you must be joking'. Tall people could complete the task but wondered who had thought it up.
:rolleyes:   :unsure:  Will give a free demo to whoever wants to see it done, easypeasy. Incidentally just wondering what people do on the way home, I mean do you store the gun in the slip broken just in case? Why not? It's the same rationale, you just can't be too safe can you, what if there are two shells nice and snug inside and you go over a bad bump which could set the thing off? 

What about between stands, how do you know it's truly empty, you might drop the gun or hit something and it'd go off. Or do you periodically stop and check you haven't left live ammo in there? Maybe they ought to just stop selling gun slips that allow the gun to be stored closed.

Oh......are we on to guns in slips now??

I thought we were talking about getting them in and out of slips.

Anyway here goes......

I always transport my gun in a hard case in the car so it cannot be damaged. I never load it in the car in a slip.....(silly boy Pike) .....they are worth a bit of dosh....and you do not want them bent by two big dogs.

As for shells in the gun case on the way home......I would seriously advise that you don't do that.

:smile:

......just saying.....this is a thread about safety after all.

I will run another experiment on this latest bit (travelling in cars) when next at the ground.

P.s. I am sure they would all love a demo.

Would we have to book you?

Would you include the drinks tray.

(Wink)

:smile:

Hamster,

When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.
Salopian, I think you'll find tis you in the hole ;)  I am as right as you are. There is no right way, it's what you prefer. 

Lets break this down, some are saying that they like to break the gun before withdrawing it from slip, I and others say no need.

The reasoning seems to be that it's safer since there may be shells left in there ! I say no way, not on my watch. 

If you have just shot a stand and slip the thing then a mere moment later can't trust yourself or the world around you not to have slipped a pair of live ones in the chambers then that's your problem.

If it's possible under those circumstances for live shells to have jumped into the chambers unseen then it's sure as hell possible to have live shells in while walking between the stands yet you don't advise constant/regular stops to check :fie:  nor stopping off at a layby just to make sure, on the way to and back from the shoot?! 

I can't comment on things universally, but here in the US it has been my experience that rifle/pistol ranges take safety  and rules far more seriously than the shotgun people.  And I do not for a moment have a problem w/ the r/p folks at all.  I find the shotgun people pretty close to scary too many times.  I have had moments when I just had to make mention of some difficulty and I find instructing people on those things to be most difficult.  It seems as tho an almost instant adversarial situation blooms.  Ah, well.  And I've noticed far more gits than kids doing the bonehead moves.

And consider in international rules that carrying a loaded, but open, gun between stations in OT was against the rules.  But the rule was so flagrantly violated and never enforced that it was eventually eliminated.  I mean, WTF??  

so rather than write a book I'm just gonna leave it at that

have a day

Charlie

Hamster,

It is obviously a total waste of time trying to reason with you.

The correct procedure is universally accepted to partially remove the gun from the slip, operate the toplever  and open the gun and then remove the gun completely from the slip displaying to any observers that the gun is open and empty.

Your attitude reminds me of the chap who shot two clays with one shot with his semi auto, came off the stand, slipped his gun and put it in the back of his Fiesta with the barrel pointing at the driver's seat.

I said " Excuse me but I think you have got a cartridge up the spout in your gun" He said  " Why don't you F ***k off".

Who'd have thought we'd make 4 pages talking about taking a gun out of slip! We all must have plenty of eggs to suck!

I know, lets start a thread about whether or not semi autos are a good idea. Perhaps we can fill another 4 pages discussing whether their owners pick up their cartridge cases.

I said " Excuse me but I think you have got a cartridge up the spout in your gun" He said  " Why don't you F ***k off".
Any sort of display of aggressive behaviour like that is really going to encourage anyone to speak their mind about safety when the guy's obviously in the middle of an anger streak with a loaded gun in his car.

You walk away in the hope you never ever see the prat again!

In Hammy's defence I do understand his point of view, however Hammy you are assuming that everyone else is as safety concious as you. Also with the greatest respect you obviously have never been involved in HSE and or Risk Assesment. Minimizing the possibility (however small) of something going wrong is the nature of modern Risk Assesment. It does not allways make sence particularily to people who have been competently doing there own thing for many years. 

Regards - Ian 

Your attitude reminds me of the chap who shot two clays with one shot with his semi auto, came off the stand, slipped his gun and put it in the back of his Fiesta with the barrel pointing at the driver's seat.

That's nasty :thumbsd:  , doesn't sound nice does it? I'll take issue though how you can even remotely connect it with my attitude! We've never even met and I've kept  polite throughout this thread save for standing up to bullies. 

Context is everything - how I may or may not take a gun out of a slip in game shooting company is not how I conduct myself in the regimented routine and  atmosphere of a row of clay shooting stands which I made clear at the outset.

I must be reading a completely different thread.

Bullies?????

I can only see people here advocating new shooters to use the safest measures when taking a gun in and out of a slip.

Context is everything.  ;)  Let a curt response slip once in a while and few will take offence, do it consistently and it becomes a bore and some will react.

Back