another season comes to an end

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MARK-POACHER

Just to like to say thankyou and good luck too all you beaters and pickers up out there as the season comes to a close and you enjoy a bit of well earned sport on your beaters days ! Good luck lads.

28bore

Thanks 28boreshot. I've got a Farmer's Day Thursday and Beaters Day Friday to look forward to. Hopefully won't get shot walking with the line on Farmer's Day so will enjoy them both (you know what Devon Farmers are like!)  :sarcastic:

Cant wait,friday we shoot some ground we dont touch till the last week of the season out of courtesy to a neighbouring shoot(it draws there birds),then saturday beaters day on the big shoot i go on,and theres plenty left.

Thanks 28boreshot. I've got a Farmer's Day Thursday and Beaters Day Friday to look forward to. Hopefully won't get shot walking with the line on Farmer's Day so will enjoy them both (you know what Devon Farmers are like!)  :sarcastic:
good luck topdog,

No need for thanks mate..every keeper and farmer needs good beaters and pickers to make a good shoot run well on the day, hope you have some good birds bud.

Had first beaters day on Friday ( 24th ) on one of the shoots I beat on ..was out beating yesterday ..beating again Tuesday & then another beaters day on Saturday then game over . Can't believe how fast this season has gone ! ..I've gotta say though that I can't ever remember a season as wet as this one !

Better get the pigeon kit ready for some days out in the hide ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Paul Bailey,

You have made my day!

Got this image of Lord Trevor (your loader) chasing after you and your quad bike and running round and round the quad on each stand trying to load fast and efficiently. With Ray Edge bellowing from the top of the hill " Stand still, stand still."

Have a great week everyone. 

Everyone I knows beaters day clashes this year next on Saturday 1st!?!? Luckily, one place I beat for is having a walked up day on Friday to push birds back into the drives for Saturday. So walked up Friday, walk one, stand one Saturday!!!

Or if you can you can extend your season in other countries.

Partridge in Spain are fantastic at the minute and we continue through February.

Beaters day for my syndicate on Friday.
Last day up at Grimsthorpe. We walk one stand one so it will be a clear up day.

first day of 5 days this week today....collecting on all that picking up and doing favours (non sexual before anyone asks! for people through the year. Probably fire more shells in the last week then I do for the rest of the season put together. Good luck to everyone whether its a ten bird walk round or a 600 bird beaters day :)

just back from a local estate where we have a couple days a year .... lucky with the weather stayed dry all day !!! 

lovely little day total bag was around 45 ish pheasants/partridge/and ducks ..had a nice first drive peg no1 and the the partridge thought they would whip back past too get away but met up with some 28 gram 6 shot... 4 out 4  :biggrin:  and also gave my 11 month old pup something to do and pleased me as 4 lovely picks.

then a crafty old cock bird caught me out and missed with first and second shot :banghead:   ..so he is safe for the year..

rest of day went well drive after lunch three pheasants and a partridge for me and on last drive i was under a wood and a pigeon came sailing over i just had to have a pop and curled it up lovely with second shot.

anyway time too get clean shirt out and tie as got invited out tomorrow on a peg  :hunter: seemed wrong to say no.. :biggrin:

happy end off season lads..enjoy

i let you know how tomorrow goes..

Good on you 28bore reward for all the hard work through the season, shoot well my friend and enjoy !  :hunter:   :thumbsu:

An appeal !

Could all of you drive with a little more care and a little more slowly next week  February 2nd until 10th at least please ?

As nothing brasses me off more than to see Pheasants that have survived all season ending up as road kill.

Thank you.

Any Pheasants that run through the line this week please get them off the ground and give them a barrel as they and their offspring are a waste of corn. :nyam:

i dont believe  it 2nd day this week that ive stayed dry  :beach:

invited today on a shoot only a couple miles down the round from me, only 11 of us in total including keeper so just a walk around day on borders of there ground.

started the day with a nice bacon roll and cuppa char, then away too first drive..three hedges that came down too meet a little tree copse with a pit in it, hen bird went back and carried on as the keeper and his lad failed in conecting with it but three cocks that came forward were in the bag..

second drive i was on my own little pigeon shoot again stood under a wood..so 3 pigeons for me and i think 5 pheasants were shot. 

time for a throat warmer and sausage roll then on to the edge of there main wood,,,stood forward on this as keeper wanted birds that break out and back up the side of border shot...( no pressure then)..... two left and rights and 5 singles and yep another pigeon ..and me with a big smile..

two more drives and alot of walking and we ended with a bag of 37 pheasants 6 pigeons 3 partridges ....

days like this are what shooting is about good sport good company..

off too light the log burner and have a cider..

shoot well .

Latest posts

Back