Another One Bites the Dust

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bebo

Just seen on Facebook that Greenfields near Canterbury will not longer be holding Registered ESP competitions.  We're sorely lacking Reg shoots in Kent and East Sussex, losing this one is a bit of a blow.

I never went, but wonder if they didn’t do a great job and failed to attract a good entry? All the other ones I go to are rammed and make great money for the grounds. Although Greenfields isn’t well positioned geographically maybe..

I never went, but wonder if they didn’t do a great job and failed to attract a good entry? All the other ones I go to are rammed and make great money for the grounds. Although Greenfields isn’t well positioned geographically maybe..
Been fairly busy every time I've been there, although a lot of the entry aren't CPSA members.  Always put on a good variety of targets, often tougher than some of the other grounds I've shot Reg shoots at.  Hamster will be distraught, it's on his doorstep.

Edit to add - they are probably getting ready for complete closure, which will be coming at some point.  The site has been allocated for housing development for years.

Last edited by a moderator:
It had to come, I've been getting mentally ready for a while now because it will certainly mean having to travel more to get to even moderately good layouts as Greenfields is definitely a deceptively difficult place to crack a 90 at. It's going to be closing in about a year or less and regular competitions will continue every Sunday as before I believe. 

If I had to guess I'd say it has to have something to do with having to re-new their CPSA affiliation wotsit to carry on having registered shoots. I intend to make sure I do a few more mid week reg shoots to make up for it.

Incidentally junior hot shot James Bradley-Day has been busy developing a sportrap layout on their family farm and plans to soon add a few sporting stands too, it's only 10 miles from me and having been a couple of times he does show a few tasty birds and is often open midweek, no doubt new doors will open as some close. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It had to come, I've been getting mentally ready for a while now because it will certainly mean having to travel more to get to even moderately good layouts as Greenfields is definitely a deceptively difficult place to crack a 90 at. It's going to be closing in about a year or less and regular competitions will continue every Sunday as before I believe. 

If I had to guess I'd say it has to have something to do with having to re-new their CPSA affiliation wotsit to carry on having registered shoots. I intend to make sure I do a few more mid week reg shoots to make up for it.

Incidentally junior hot shot James Bradley-Day has been busy developing a sportrap layout on their family farm and plans to soon add a few sporting stands too, it's only 10 miles from me and having been a couple of times he does show a few tasty birds and is often open midweek, no doubt new doors will open as some close. 
I can recall that we paid the CPSA affiliation fee for a good number of years. Then one day we asked ourselves exactly WHAT the CPSA did for a small, 'non comp' (registered or otherwise) club to justify the ever increasing cost of that 'affiliation'.  Upon asking the CPSA about this I was told, and I quote,  "But you get a free magazine". I then pointed out that, due to Insurance for Instructors, the 2 ground owners had individual membership anyway,  and as such already received their 'Free Magazine' .  "Well, for every new member that you recruit, we will give you money, which you can use to reduce your annual fee". We cancelled our affiliation shortly afterwards !

I'd rarher have a couple of extra shoots a year than pay for C.P.S.A. membership! 

He is now advertising 100 bird registered sporting shoots.

Is he?  I've seen the competitions mentioned, but nothing about them being Registered.  Be good if he does.
26165716_1967492133517059_3711666098929002870_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back