Amber Hill.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It doesn't matter what make the shotgun is at some point they will have a failure of one, who makes it can affect how often it fails though 😉

I watched it too, Amber is still young compared to the other shooters, a joy to watch.
I think Nele Wissmer is about the same age. She began strong but had 3 misses in a row, so rank 4 for her.

To perform well under those conditions is very tough. On this level mental strength is everything. So my respect to all athletes!

The use of the word "athletes" with regard to the partakers of our sport makes me smile.

I wonder how much training some of the contenders do

Back in the Olden Days when the NRA controlled international shooting in the USA the residents at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado said that the initials NRA meant Not Really Athletes  

And all y'all best be just Way respectable towards cousin Amber even tho she did cave to the Beretta Bucks, but so have some other prominent international shooters so I'm not sure that is actually shameful.  

The use of the word "athletes" with regard to the partakers of our sport makes me smile.

I wonder how much training some of the contenders do
Me too. I wouldn't call George Digweed an athlete (no offense George) he's a big lad.  I believe they call dart players athletes as well.

Probably started with the ISSF when the IOC were/are thinking of dropping shooting from the Olympics and replacing it with 'sports' that attract a bigger TV audience 😄

Look up athlete in the dictionary,it doesn't mean a super fit salad loving Adonis ,it means simply someone well trained at sport.And the hours and years put in even by our less than physically perfect athletes has tacken as much effort as someone who can run round in circles quickly.

I watched the Video for the first time on you-tube last night and am pretty sure I have had exactly the same problem with my 692.

The gun, my pride and joy, was new and I was using it to shoot pigeons on what turned out to be a very wet day, I was OK sitting there in waterproofs but the gun was getting a good soaking. After a while I had the same problem that Amber had, I could not operate the top lever. I was disgruntled to say the least because my new toy was not working.

I found the problem quite quickly, the wood under the top lever had swollen by over a millimetre, blocking the space that the lever has to swing into. When I got home I fixed the problem by removing about 1mm from the wood in the offending area with a file and sandpaper and it looks OK although I would rather not have had to do it.

I have not had to repeat the process but I have not had such a good drenching as I got on that day

I mentioned it to a gunsmith friend and he said that wood on modern guns (at least in this price bracket) are not seasoned by traditional means i.e. aging - rather they go through a process more like kiln drying which does a less than perfect job.

692_interna_900.jpg

Ambers´ gunstock should be waterproof after all that painting. Maybe some paint went inside... ?

Who knows what the process is - paint? transfer printing? if water had access to the end grain it will soak in and it doesn't have far to go before it causes trouble.

Who knows what the process is - paint? transfer printing? if water had access to the end grain it will soak in and it doesn't have far to go before it causes trouble.
Looks like it's been wrapped to me.

I think it's a process called hydro dipping. It involves immersing whatever you want the pattern on in water. 🙄 You can use paint or transfers. 

Jasper. 

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a Facebook video showing the process - type "amber hill blue gun stock" into google.

I did not type "hydro dipping" into google - It just didn't seem the right thing to do.

Yeah, her gun is airbrushed then lacquered, so just paint. According to her the checkering wasn't effected. Her last 2 guns were painted as well.

I find it peculiar that hers are the only guns I've even seen painted. I know tastes vary but it seems she's out on her own with this one.

I was actually thinking about surprising my wife with a custom painted gun. She's not really bothered for shooting, but i think she would appreciate the gesture. I think its cool. I prefer the wood on mine too much to paint it, but I wouldn't have a problem with it looking unique.

I thought all DT's were lacquer finished except when you get to the L and above

Back