All round

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Growl

Thinking of doing some 'all round' next year (probably at Northampton - nearest ground to me offering this)

does anyone shoot this on here and what should I expect?

never shot it before - shot lots of ESP, done a bit of DTL, DR, Skeet - wondered what it's like.

cheers.

Hi gra im shooting allround next year hence the trap gun I shoot, not 100% but I think Kibworth could do it

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

They run all-round comps at Fauxdegla, one per month. 25 each of ESP, ESK, DTL (single barrel), ABT.

Havent done one yet, but intend to in the new year. Need to practice a bit more sporting and skeet first though, and get more competent at DTL & ABT. So only 4 of the 4 disciplines to learn!

All round is great fun, it's also very frustrating, drop one or two on the DTL, drop one or two on the ball trap, your then thinking "oh well, 96 will have to do" then the wheels fall off and you end up in the 80,s it's hard to shoot all four disciplines well. Most people are really good at one or two disciplines but to be good at all four takes a lot of concentration, I've promised myself to do a bit more this year , if you form a squad that regularly shoot together, then the crack can be good, I shoot it occasionally with close friends, we draw straws on each discipline and one of us has to shoot that discipline with a 410, the one remaining person is very lucky, four disciplines, 5 shooters

So do you shoot each of the disciplines in a specific order say:

25 Skeet then

25 ABT then

25 DTL the

25 Sporting

or do you decide which order you complete the round?

Sounds interesting, is it always squaded (like fitasc sporting) I take it this is a yes with squads of 5 and do you (as fitasc once again) have a break between disciplines or just shoot through, also how does the cost match up is it about the same as ESP or slightly higher.

cheers for the info guys, Growl.

I shoot A/R's regularly - they hold them about every six weeks at Clacton Gun Club.  Over there it's £25 B/O and I usually join in with the next squad available when I sign in, usually it's about a half to an hour wait.  I like them because you don't shoot too much of one thing.  As a sporting shooter I'm not sure if I could cope with a 100 DTL targets and keep my concentration much past about 40 or so, so an A/R gives you a 'taste' of each discipline.

Tim

It is supposed to be shot in a specific order, but can't remember what it is.

I think it is . . . . . . . .  ESK  /  DTL  /  ESP  /  ABT  ??

Last few times we've shot it was DTL ( single barrel and only one cartridge in the gun) 25 ABT, 25 skeet, 25 sporting

It's always ESP, ESK, DTL and then ABT where I shoot. Three stands of six and one of seven makes up the sporting.  There's no real break there other than the time it takes to walk from one stand to the other and for a bit of choke twiddling and cartridge bag refilling.  C.G.C always shoot with a squad of five unless it's the last squad of the day then it could be less.  They're usually reg. shoots so you also have a referee/scorer/button pusher included, which is not bad for £25.

It's not for me but good luck if you fancy it.

I'd rather strive towards being a master of one discipline rather that a jack of all trades?

Just had a look on CPSA website and there are no specific rules on the order that the disciplines are shot, only that the individual disciplines rules apply.

Whenever I have shot it it's always been 25 skeet, 25 Single Barrel,25 ABT and 25 English Sporting.

If you're going to shoot it regularly it's probably worth investing in a proper Trap gun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't quite get the comment about getting a proper trap gun though, from experience I've always found it easier to use a sporter on DTL and ABT than to use a trap gun on Sporting and Skeet, each to their own though, whatever breaks the clay is good in my book.

They do have to be shot in a particular order.

SB, ABT, ESK, ESP

It is squaded and you stay in the same order throughout.

(Booklet 5 1.16)

There is a Boxing Day All Round at Nottingham and also one at the end of Feb. :)

Latest posts

Back