All cartridges are not the same...

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisPackham

Ran Eley Blues (free) and Evo (usual cartridges) back to back today and there is absolutely no comparison through my gun, Evo we’re by far the best cartridges.  Just go to show the ‘they all go bang and miss in the same place’ mantra is BS..

And your parameters,controls and measuring equipment?

Been using Olympics for virtually all the reg I’ve shot in the 6yrs I’ve been registered,only fault is they are heavy on recoil,as for the kills i think they are fantastic.im very surprised you’ve noticed such a difference.

Must say I too have used Eley Blues and apart from a craggy recoil didn't mind them at all and as much as I do notice the (slight to obvious) difference between shells I'd say the reasons for 30% variance in actual score must lay elsewhere. 

I think it's a case of each to their own. For example, I bought a slab of Express Power Reds, beloved by a mate but I just didn't like them. Don't know why, but I just don't like Express cartridges. I've no scientific or measurable data, but I just know that whenever I use them, I'm thinking about the cartridge and not the clay, and THAT is what I think is the difference. 

Yes, it was
No it wasn’t.. although I agree you need to be happy with your equipment, or mental distractions kick in which affect how you move and react. I’ve been known to throw my hat in the bin after a bad shoot and never use it again..

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly ? ... sorry if you have a 30% difference in your score from one round to the next... and then you tell us it was the cartridges wot done it... hilarious !!!

We've been here countless times before... cartridges are the least of your worries bud. I will turn that OP on its head awhile back I was shooting with Clever T4 pro extra's... bought them cheap in Italy so why not. Anyhow I shot one round with the T4's and scored 22... I then fished out some Jocker LA 28's at half the price and blasted a straight 25 ... it was the cartridges wot done it :lol: .

Last edited by a moderator:
Tested again yesterday, same result, gave gun and cartridges to a much better shooter than me, same result.. didn’t tell them anything about a prceieved difference

it was the cartridges

Fin...

I have to agree with PP and partially with Hammie on this one. SOME cartridges just do NOT suit some guns  !  The most technical piece of equipment that I used to arrive at this conclusion, was, my EYES  ! (before I had the eye problems BT).  Many years ago I bought a used 20 bore Beretta that was 'original' in every way  ?  I took 10 different brands of 28 gram plastic wadded cartridges and a tin of whitewash to a local ground's pattern plate. I fired a minimum of 5 of each make at the pattern plate and the difference in patterns/brands was astounding. Only 3 of the ten brands threw acceptable patterns. Now I did not take into account the weather, temperatures, wind direction or even what colour socks that I was wearing, just the holes big enough to put a football in, on the pattern plate.  THAT was the last time that I went near a pattern plate, with any of my guns and I admit to using any damned cartridge that is cheap and readily available, but I have had some VERY chippy breaks with some and the occasional drop in scores too. I made a point of avoiding that brand in future. At present I am using Cheddite cartridges in both 12 and 20 bores and a mixture of plastic and fibre wads. They seem to perform well enough (in MY guns), are clean, not thumpy and a decent price, what is not to like  ?       

I have to agree with PP and partially with Hammie on this one. SOME cartridges just do NOT suit some guns  !  The most technical piece of equipment that I used to arrive at this conclusion, was, my EYES  ! (before I had the eye problems BT).  Many years ago I bought a used 20 bore Beretta that was 'original' in every way  ?  I took 10 different brands of 28 gram plastic wadded cartridges and a tin of whitewash to a local ground's pattern plate. I fired a minimum of 5 of each make at the pattern plate and the difference in patterns/brands was astounding. Only 3 of the ten brands threw acceptable patterns. Now I did not take into account the weather, temperatures, wind direction or even what colour socks that I was wearing, just the holes big enough to put a football in, on the pattern plate.  THAT was the last time that I went near a pattern plate, with any of my guns and I admit to using any damned cartridge that is cheap and readily available, but I have had some VERY chippy breaks with some and the occasional drop in scores too. I made a point of avoiding that brand in future. At present I am using Cheddite cartridges in both 12 and 20 bores and a mixture of plastic and fibre wads. They seem to perform well enough (in MY guns), are clean, not thumpy and a decent price, what is not to like  ?       
I understand where you're coming from but (as I feel certain you know perfectly well) the holes in a pattern don't necessarily mean a missed bird, at least not until you get a little past reasonable range. Before anyone says, I DO believe you can draw meaningful conclusions from a pattern plate and the relative density of one make against the other but it's also important to remember most of our shots are taken well inside the patterns usefulness. Remember for an actual  miss to occur the clay has to find itself in that actual void at the time. 

I have certainly shot fibre brands through my 682e and been surprised how near impossible it was to achieve smokes or crushing breaks but with plastic wads through standard guns 30% just seems a tad on the pessimistic side. I doubt you'd get that variance on even a difficult 60 yard Teal with the worst/best shell combo. 

I understand where you're coming from but (as I feel certain you know perfectly well) the holes in a pattern don't necessarily mean a missed bird, at least not until you get a little past reasonable range. Before anyone says, I DO believe you can draw meaningful conclusions from a pattern plate and the relative density of one make against the other but it's also important to remember most of our shots are taken well inside the patterns usefulness. Remember for an actual  miss to occur the clay has to find itself in that actual void at the time. 

I have certainly shot fibre brands through my 682e and been surprised how near impossible it was to achieve smokes or crushing breaks but with plastic wads through standard guns 30% just seems a tad on the pessimistic side. I doubt you'd get that variance on even a difficult 60 yard Teal with the worst/best shell combo. 
I guess the 30% impact upon score isn’t reflective of efficiency, for reference both cartridges were fibre (I don’t use any plastic wads)

Personally l think there is something drastically wrong here, even with the most exspensive cartridge verses the cheapest there should not be 30% difference in the score, especially with tried and tested cartridges like Eley and Gamebore, a session at the pattern plate would be interesting. l think you would be better off changing your gun not your cartridges!

Back