21 gram wylye.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
evening everyone,looking forward to 21 gram tomorrow and maybe meeting some shootclay members. good luck wherever you going.. mark

What a fun shoot! Targets were Ians' usual standard but 21g shells. To say I was sceptical was an understatement. Did they ever peform though. I think it took me till the 5th stand to stop worrying and actually get on and shoot my usual way. Not only did the shells feel lighter in the hand but to shoot with zero percieved recoil felt strange to say the least, more like lazer clay but with leed still required, they even sounded quieter. Anyway I think for any beginers I take shooting from now on I will def be using this cartridge. Also amazed how it broke crossers on top of the bank.

Nice to say hi to mark for the first time as well even f it was a passing greeting between stands. If anyone knows the finishing scores would be nice to know,

Lets hope this becomes an annual event!

Mark

Yes Mark it certainly felt different, but no worries about performance, just put it in the right place and they're smoked! 95 from Turbo and Ollie Baker proves it makes no difference at the end of the day.....

Would love to have done this (if it had been nearer). I discovered how good these shells were a few years ago. Not all 21g are great, but the plas Hull 21g pattern is just like the best inner 80% of a really good 28g shell.

Last edited by a moderator:
just got back from my first visit to wylye . 250mile round trip well worth it. great targets , very friendly welcome from everyone at the ground.refs very good. and the 21grm shells are superb . was destroying the long crosser no probs. very enjoyable shoot. a few away from my normal scores but down to me nothing else. missed 7 out of 12 rabbits today ??? . well done to wylye for trying something different , shame the masses stayed away.

any results ???

well done ian great shoot my friend and targets were just what the doctor ordered!!! still bloody missed em, i think a few people had in there heads that 21 gram were slow but soon found out how good they are..nice to meet you too mark hope you ended up ok today.. hope this becomes a every year shoot great fun mark

Years ago I raced in a motor sport series where there was a handshake agreement to limit each driver to one set of tyres per event. It kept costs down, for a small drop in performance. Same for all so no problem. Shame I can't see it working in shooting, with 21g shells..

so drop the max load in the rules? mind it might not make any diff as some people dont play the game now . hence wylye giving the shells out on the stands.

does it make any differents 21 gram 24 gram 28 gram ?? ollie baker was textin me just now he did a 95 and said the same as me apart from low recoil and a pop not bang he found them a good cartridge !! i put in a 82 today and dont think i would have done much better with 27 gram super fast i always use ;)

by the way the chocolate + guiness cake is superb. took 2 slices home. :) bang on .

I had the cake as well. Awesome stuff.

The wind got up later in the afternoon and put the long crosser up into the top road on top of the bank which is 80yds away.

Still the little 21g was breaking them very well indeed.

Had a few personal best's and a straight of the pool shoot.

Top shooter Stuart Rudland shot 95 and then went out with his usual 28g now knowing the targets and shot just 2 x more.

The only negative thing I heard all day was that the bloody things have got no recoil so take a few to get use to..... :D

And guess what ? You can buy them for a very good price per thousand at Wylye. ;)

Well! I hate to say I told ya so but.......just had to prove it..... :p pmsl.

This is absolutely fantastic news, 21g shells breaking 80 yards crossers. I confidently predicted the winning score will be similar to 28g, so all that remains is for everyone who is convinced they're as good cept no recoil to start buying these regularly saving themselves a tidy sum in the process.

Ha! sorry Fuz, that should of read £132....(plastic) bloody back is killing me right now, but double check with Ian first... ;)

Still cheaper than round these parts, might even shoot them myself at that money! Still got 1700 Olympics to go through yet though :)

Still cheaper than round these parts, might even shoot them myself at that money! Still got 1700 Olympics to go through yet though :)
Now that would be a test I'd sponsor by a £100ner, you shoot 4400 registered targets with these and we'll see a before and after no difference cept recoil, pmsl. :wink:

Hmmm, wonder if hull would sponsor me a season of shooting just 21 grams :) more than willing to give it a crack! Problem is the results next year compared to this will be off due to me improving.

My original idea had been to have a 21gr class at the British or World but the CPSA board didnt fancy that, thankfully Ian was receptive to the idea and the feedback so far has been very good. Andy Moon was so convinced he even shot his re-entry with 21gram as well..... (smiles smugly) just a pity a few more didnt come to play......

I certainly think that on the closer stuff and mid range targets there is little difference performance wise. Don shot round with me and once I had got into the swing of it I dont think there was any lack of smoke, which is a big part of your confidence; enough poor breaks end up leading to misses.

I shot a box on the pool first to get into the feel of it, the longer stuff was boken, but not as convincingly as I would have liked, and it probably cost a couple through lack of pelets. A lot of the misses were me; I seemed keen to try and put an extra few feet on a lot of birds to start with.

Overall very good, its just the longer stuff where yo notice a real difference. I bet if you shot a couple of hundred of them in the week then you would be used to the initially weird feeling and sub 40 yard kills would be nearly identicle to 28s.

A fun day out. Was good to hear tewo old boys in front of us blaming the shells for the 1/4ing away rabit that was missed 2 foot in front every time....

Back