Where do I start?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hi all,

As some of you may already know from reading my thread in the welcome section, I've only been shooting for about a month...Two shoot's of 50 clay's each.

I would like to start shooting at comps just to add a little excitement to it all, but I have no idea where to start 😕 I understand I need to join the CPSA but then what? Is it just a case of finding an event I'd like to take part in and sign up?

Before I consider entering a registered shoot, what should I be looking at score wise, out of say 50 or 100 birds?

Many thanks :)  

Just go for it don't worry about scores. I shot 55 at my first reg sporting however bad you are there is always someone worse. As long as you're safe your welcome.

Hi all,

As some of you may already know from reading my thread in the welcome section, I've only been shooting for about a month...Two shoot's of 50 clay's each.

I would like to start shooting at comps just to add a little excitement to it all, but I have no idea where to start 😕 I understand I need to join the CPSA but then what? Is it just a case of finding an event I'd like to take part in and sign up?

Before I consider entering a registered shoot, what should I be looking at score wise, out of say 50 or 100 birds?

Many thanks :)  
The CPSA web site is a useful tool for membership information, fixtures events etc local to you.

As for scores, chap just go & shoot & enjoy yourself

I suggest a bit of patience and gaining some experience at club shoots first because no one enjoys getting beaten up by the targets. When you can regularly hit 70-75% at Sunday morning straw bale shoots you've got a fighting chance of hitting 60+% at a registered comp.

I often see very green shooters at registered shoots struggling with what are routine standard targets. Today for example there was a group of unregistered entrants of whom only 1 seemed to have any idea at all, the other 2 being complete novices. They were simply wasting their money and shells because they only hit the odd clay, mostly by luck, and were just not enjoying themselves. They asked me what sort of score would be needed to win and when I told them there was a 95 in they were astounded, as all their scores added together would have barely made 75.

Chances are they won't be back as very few novices put themselves through the wringer more than once.

One  route you could try , to see what you are likely to encounter before you make your debut  , is to go (on a non comp day ) to one of the professional shooting grounds that hold registered competitions and shoot 100 practice.  Just ask for a scorecard and honestly mark yourself over 12 or 13 stands  shooting 4 pairs a stand .  Virtually all of the professional grounds have the  “ Claymate” type system that allows you to shoot solo and still get pairs etc .  This will do several things : you will get to experience a large variety of quality targets . You will get to practice shooting  100 rounds .  There will also be the time to ponder how to tackle the stands , which you won’t get at a competition.  Try that a few times before you jump in the deep  end . 

As you’re thinking of competition , joining   the CPSA straight away though is not a bad thing , as you will also benefit from members liability insurance for any of your shooting activity . 

All, thank you very much for the reply's, much appreciated. 

I've found Hereford and Worcester shooting ground near me, I don't think they have any registered shoots but they do seem to have a good selection of stands. I'll also take the advise and look for grounds that hold registered shoots and go when I can for some practice. 

Is the general consensus lessons are advisable?

Thanks again 👍

Practice your mount a couple of times a week, and have some lessons. Then practice, practice practice. 

All, thank you very much for the reply's, much appreciated. 

I've found Hereford and Worcester shooting ground near me, I don't think they have any registered shoots but they do seem to have a good selection of stands. I'll also take the advise and look for grounds that hold registered shoots and go when I can for some practice. 

Is the general consensus lessons are advisable?

Thanks again 👍
Not a bad idea to have a couple to start with. You will find most clay shooters are more than happy to help a beginner. In fact we are a very friendly bunch.

Could I make it clear to new starters in our sport that it is advisable , but not compulsory to be a member of the CPSA to participate .

If your interested in clayshooting , find a friend who does , find a ground and get out and do it .DON'T BUY A GUN JUST YET. .See if you like it first and try a few before parting with your money .

65 Years shooting and still can't make my mind up.

Not a bad idea to have a couple to start with. You will find most clay shooters are more than happy to help a beginner. In fact we are a very friendly bunch.
Not a bad idea except that most of the shooters that I know (at any rate) are enthusiastic purveyors of misinformation and mythologically proportioned "common knowledge" that is contrary to most generally accepted laws of physics.  That is not to say there are not those who can assist you free of charge.  BUT ..... FWIW .... my experience has sustained the idea that most things are worth what you pay for them.

Thank you once again everyone, greatly appreciated.

As for the ones that have said don't get a gun yet, I was a bit impulsive and bought one before even trying clay shooting... I just thought I'd like it, luckily I do!

As for lessons, I'll have to have a think and justify the £60 plus per lesson and ask myself if I'll really get as much or more from a lesson as I would spending the same on a slab of shells and just shooting.

Last edited:
Just shooting is OK while you get familiar with mounting the gun consistently and just getting comfortable shooting.  You'll hit a point where you want some help on particular targets or getting beyond a plateau and lessons will help with that, with the right coach.

I reckon if you were only allowed two or three lessons ever, they would best be taken in the first 6-10 times you shoot. Unlocking bad habits is a painful road and one that many never manage or think to do. 

I reckon if you were only allowed two or three lessons ever, they would best be taken in the first 6-10 times you shoot. Unlocking bad habits is a painful road and one that many never manage or think to do. 
Interesting.  The early lesson I had I found to be not much use at all.  More recently, the odd session with Ed S has helped a lot.  But what really helps is taking away what we go through and putting it into practice again and again and again until it becomes automatic.

Interesting.  The early lesson I had I found to be not much use at all.  More recently, the odd session with Ed S has helped a lot.  But what really helps is taking away what we go through and putting it into practice again and again and again until it becomes automatic.
Depends on the shooter I suppose. My mate started with other clueless mates at a local shoot and was actually painful to watch for his first two years doing Reg shoots due to imbedded bad habits. Some newbies will at least look at YouTube etc and start on a better path. 

One thing to be wary of... the person who cannot wait to give you miss information... as you get better they will be queing up to tell you where you went wrong if you have a bad round... but you will never hear a cheap of well done when you shoot well. I don't know if it is just my nature but I like to see a newcomer showing improved performance but to some experienced shooters, for whatever reason, it sticks in their craw. If you are going to take advice get it from someone qualified to give it or does not have any interest in what scores you are making.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with this, and it’s exactly what I tried to do.

Many experienced shots actually told me I was wasting my time seeing somebody like Ben Husthwaite/Richard Faulds so early on. 

Whilst I’m still a beginner (still under 6 months in) I now see some of the same experienced shots doing silly things which I’ve never ever done. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back