Jump to content
Will Hewland

Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Recommended Posts

Will Hewland

Owls today. First time I’ve ever done 2 Reg shoots at same ground 5 days apart. 😆. Full credit to Owls it was an entirely different course from last Saturday.

Again, not a brutal shoot, but very few actual easy stands, so if you were a bit off form you could miss everywhere. Likewise if you are on form it paid back without busting a gut. Was second on the board when I left but some top shots out on 3pm rotation. I would think my 94 is 3 or maybe 4 light for a top shot. Stuart Rudling only on 90 though..

Hmm.. update. I gather 95 was HG, then a ravening hoard behind..

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
antse7en

Owls too - 81. Really happy with that after taking the gun back to scratch. A reg PB for me actually. 

Nice to see @Will Hewland and @Sian

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Will Hewland

My mate was at owls at 3pm and said he would send me a photo of the scores screen. I was now down in about 13th on 92! Behind my mate. Much sweating scrabbling and texting before it got corrected. Then I was enlightened.. they had fiddled the scores screen just to take the wind-up photo for me. 🤣. I need new friends. 

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
El Spavo

Hah, they're not firemen are they?! :angel:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GlawsterCodger
On 8/22/2019 at 4:14 PM, Will Hewland said:

Owls today. First time I’ve ever done 2 Reg shoots at same ground 5 days apart. 😆. Full credit to Owls it was an entirely different course from last Saturday.

Again, not a brutal shoot, but very few actual easy stands, so if you were a bit off form you could miss everywhere. Likewise if you are on form it paid back without busting a gut. Was second on the board when I left but some top shots out on 3pm rotation. I would think my 94 is 3 or maybe 4 light for a top shot. Stuart Rudling only on 90 though..

Hmm.. update. I gather 95 was HG, then a ravening hoard behind..

First in AA as three of you on 94, and yes some very good shots in the chasing pack, well done you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Will Hewland
6 minutes ago, GlawsterOldCodger said:

First in AA as three of you on 94, and yes some very good shots in the chasing pack, well done you

Cheers Rich. Just kept it tidy. I may have slipped down the order if it had been a tougher shoot. I am kicking myself for missing first pair on stand 3. (But I’m sure everybody else is self-kicking for some offence or other). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Will Hewland

Honesberie today. Started on stand 4 then on to stand 6 to miss queuing. I felt it was a decent mix, interesting and not overly hard. In fact I was thinking it needed one or two more tough targets. Near the end I did stand 5 and bloody got them! A cherry picker 5 yards behind the cage, chucking full-spring aways overhead. First one angled down and straight into a tree. Second one higher but still tough. I think this stand was ill-conceived personally. My mate shot a brilliant 7/8 on it as he is happy to shoot very quickly. Scorer had a really surprised tone when she announced pair killed. I died on it and hit 3/8. I’m a measurer and couldn’t get on with it. A few complaints from shooters watching. 

So, the scores today will be about right I suspect but not my favourite way of achieving it. I would have put a harder target elsewhere and a softer one in stand 5. Just my opinion. Still enjoyed the shoot and glad to scrape a 90. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bebo

Nothing Reg local today and got mates round for a bbq this afternoon so could venture too far afield. Shot the 100 bird open comp at Willow Farm. Good targets, only one or two of them really challenging, with a few more that it was easy to drop one or two on. Finished on 83.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hamster

Decent 93 at Greenfields which I'd say was about right difficulty wise with 96 HG and 90 3rd. I fared poorly on one particular R-L 40+ yard white crosser missing 4 of them but managed to shoot the last fifty targets straight which was nice. 😆

Looking forward to Southdown and Gatton Bottom registered tomorrow, hopefully bump into some forum members.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Will Hewland
18 minutes ago, Hamster said:

Decent 93 at Greenfields which I'd say was about right difficulty wise with 96 HG and 90 3rd. I fared poorly on one particular R-L 40+ yard white crosser missing 4 of them but managed to shoot the last fifty targets straight which was nice. 😆

Looking forward to Southdown and Gatton Bottom registered tomorrow, hopefully bump into some forum members.

I’m fearing the M25 on BH Monday, so will do Westfield. See you soon, maybe EJC.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GlawsterCodger

Family, oncoming cold & no mojo for a 2+ hour reg in the blazing sun saw me on the short trip to Barbury with StewK late am, place looked to have been very busy, thankfully thinning out when we started well after 11, tried the Hull 100 Sporting in fibres for first time, felt softer than Fiocchis, subjective I know,  shot the practice course well and there was some very challenging targets, more so when buttoner sent simos as a “treat” all in all had a very pleasant  time, glad I went out in end. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jasper
3 hours ago, Will Hewland said:

Honesberie today. Started on stand 4 then on to stand 6 to miss queuing. I felt it was a decent mix, interesting and not overly hard. In fact I was thinking it needed one or two more tough targets. Near the end I did stand 5 and bloody got them! A cherry picker 5 yards behind the cage, chucking full-spring aways overhead. First one angled down and straight into a tree. Second one higher but still tough. I think this stand was ill-conceived personally. My mate shot a brilliant 7/8 on it as he is happy to shoot very quickly. Scorer had a really surprised tone when she announced pair killed. I died on it and hit 3/8. I’m a measurer and couldn’t get on with it. A few complaints from shooters watching. 

So, the scores today will be about right I suspect but not my favourite way of achieving it. I would have put a harder target elsewhere and a softer one in stand 5. Just my opinion. Still enjoyed the shoot and glad to scrape a 90. 

Honesberie also. Good shoot I thought. Starting to enjoy myself a bit after being a bit of a grumpy tw*t lately. Stand five dashed many hopes. Happy with a 6 there. Only 2 straights when we shot it.  91. 

Jasper.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wynno

Longridge for me today, boy was it hot, started pretty decently then crashed and burned as the heat took its toll. Dorian Evans leading on 95 when I left, look a very good  score 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
donna
5 hours ago, Hamster said:

Decent 93 at Greenfields which I'd say was about right difficulty wise with 96 HG and 90 3rd. I fared poorly on one particular R-L 40+ yard white crosser missing 4 of them but managed to shoot the last fifty targets straight which was nice. 😆

Looking forward to Southdown and Gatton Bottom registered tomorrow, hopefully bump into some forum members.

Phil and I will be at Southdown so may see you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Martinj

I did Widdington today as it was the last of the season, it wasn't as tough as the last  one I did there, I shot 87 which I was happy enough with considering recent form, I can blame three on trigger freeze which is becoming a persistent problem. I thought the targets were good although I suffered more than my usual quota of no birds and two trap breakdowns, No.7 took a good 30 minutes to sort out, luckily we were in the shade as the heat and humidity were cranking up.

I had the pleasure of meeting Sian and "Papa Bear" :wink:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Will Hewland
2 hours ago, Martinj said:

I did Widdington today as it was the last of the season, it wasn't as tough as the last  one I did there, I shot 87 which I was happy enough with considering recent form, I can blame three on trigger freeze which is becoming a persistent problem. I thought the targets were good although I suffered more than my usual quota of no birds and two trap breakdowns, No.7 took a good 30 minutes to sort out, luckily we were in the shade as the heat and humidity were cranking up.

I had the pleasure of meeting Sian and "Papa Bear" :wink:

I used to love Widdington. I was put off by their shoot where I saw you months ago. Silly brutal stands I thought. Then my mate shot next one and said it was crowded. Maybe next year..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Doug Pinnegar

Honesberie for me. I’ve been getting grumpy with myself for ‘stopping the gun’ recently, as you may have seen further up this thread. The remedy was to make sure I was being religious with my hold and kill points to see if that helped. 

It did not, and I was getting frustrated at myself from the start. I was 16 away after the first 6 stands and was on the verge of heading home. Then something clicked (well, I was told). I’m lifting my head off the stock when I’ve got the lead and pulling the trigger. 

The next stand was the rabbit and L-R midi on the right hand side of the field. I glued my head on the stock and kept it there until I saw the clay break. Success. Really great breaks and straight on that stand. 

Splendid, this might work! Same tactic on the rabbit and driven. Straight. On to the left hand side of the field and I missed all the B birds as I chose to take it at a fiddly point in its flight rather than playing it safe. Well ignore that stand. 

I dropped 2 other clays on the rest of the course and was hitting clays pretty hard. 

Ended on 78 which isn’t bad considering the first 6 stands. More importantly, I learned something and am excited to keep putting it into practice!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sian

Went to Widdington, I don’t think we have been for 2 years and lovely to meet Martinj.  We also got caught in the corner with Martinj.  It’s a shame really because it’s a good ground and the targets are good but the breakdown spoils it and it seems always to be that corner.  The stand after the corner was my worst, two incomers but I messed them up completely and lost 5.  We paired that shoot with Longridge which we shot with Brett and James Hand, enjoyable company and shoot.  Just one awful stand for me - driven and right to left - 5 pairs.  Only got one driven and dropped 2 of the second birds in frustration scored 4 and that hurt my score.  Afterwards Brett took me back to the driven and gave me a way of shoot it as a one eyed shooter and I got a few so just need to try that way.  As we weren’t that far away we went across the border into Wales to see my parents and then drove home.  I did all the driving today as well.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Will Hewland

Hot day at Westfield, but beautiful views as ever. A great mixed course. A couple of good long targets plus some fast stuff but nothing extreme. I cost myself a couple by not concentrating properly and when I changed my earmuffs for plugs. So weird sounding that I was put off. Only one stand for those.. They are old and I think I need to buy some modern ones. Happy to keep my current run of form today. Won’t be in the money I suspect but I’m happy enough on 93. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
antse7en

Horne today - 80. Another reg with the FBlack and another ground PB. Actually quite gutted it wasn’t more as this included one nightmare stand on #7 (1/8 - could not find them for love nor money) and various odds which I dropped through concentration alone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bebo
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, antse7en said:

Horne today - 80. Another reg with the FBlack and another ground PB. Actually quite gutted it wasn’t more as this included one nightmare stand on #7 (1/8 - could not find them for love nor money) and various odds which I dropped through concentration alone.

The high and low crossers. Very little lead needed, just keep the gun moving. One of the three stands I managed to straight. Lots of sloppy twos away on too many stands. Finished on 75. Better than I did at Southdown first thing. An abysmal 62.

Edited by Bebo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Will Hewland
5 minutes ago, Bebo said:

The high and low crossers. Very little lead needed, just keep the gun moving. One of the three stands I managed to straight. Lots of sloppy twos away on too many stands.

I take it this is the first stand in the field? It’s often r-l crossers at slightly varied angles. One from the floor, one from a short tower. Didn’t see them today, but I agree it’s less lead than you might think and ensure you follow the line, which is usually downward. (This lack of variety is a big reason why I travelled much further to Westfield today rather than do Gatton..)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
antse7en
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Will Hewland said:

I take it this is the first stand in the field? It’s often r-l crossers at slightly varied angles. One from the floor, one from a short tower. Didn’t see them today, but I agree it’s less lead than you might think and ensure you follow the line, which is usually downward. (This lack of variety is a big reason why I travelled much further to Westfield today rather than do Gatton..)

Nope not that stand, mid way round number 7 I think I was over leading them as per what Bebo said. Still, a good day for me! 

Edited by antse7en

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bebo

I was refering to the one just as you left the woods. Liked that and the next one. I was terrible on teals today. Dropped at least half a dozen. They were slower than I allowed for and shot over the top repeatedly. Definite sign I was off form, I usually like teal.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hamster

Lovely road trip day spent with friends who are excellent shots and great company, watched them shoot the Sportrap first at Southdown and we all then shot the sporting which was in the main a really good shoot but for me marred by the silly stand 12 - I was 3 away after stands 1 - 10 B)  but then suffered on stand 11 with the very fast L-R missing all four, my own poor shooting, did similarly badly on 13 missing three of the very rangy battues (kept firing wildly too far in front 😐) - back to 12, it was thoughtless and designed to force misses, making people miss by speed and the fact it was a simmo over head aways, didn't feel tested but mugged, I doubt there'd be more than one straight per 30+ shooters, we didn't see anyone hit more than six and that was a AAA in our group. I wasn't mega disappointed with my score here because unfortunately I only manage to get there about once a year so all the birds looked fresh to me plus I don't think I dropped any gimme's. 

Onto Gatton Bottom which predictably was an entirely different type of shoot, oddly enough stand 12 here too was mickey mouse material but for different reasons, a pathetic away orange repeat bird (really Mr. course designer ? 😞) difficult to see in the dark wooded area but kill point about 18 yards away, mine were dust but hugely capable mates who can hit fancy stuff dropped 2 and 3 respectively through boredom I suspect - 85 followed by 91 means I shot my own average so to speak.

Just one more thing, I love 30 day aged steak, yesterdays "refried" bacon, not so much. Two questions, why do they do it and why do they think we won't notice ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×