Will Hewland

Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Hamster

Hoping to do AGL with a friend or two, hopefully bump into you Will. 

• Thanks 1

Will Hewland

I did feel better this morning thankfully. Bumped into Hamid at AGL, but sadly in the car park at the end where he had been blocked in for an hour..

A good course using some new stands too. Great variety. I would say there were four or five tougher stands plus some decent standard fare. I was happy to straight the two new stands on the hill, but just tossed about 7 steady ones away elsewhere that make me cringe to think about it. Finished on 89, should have been.. well.. doesn’t work like that does it.. 

I got into a weird pattern of coming across stands that were either empty or had a big queue which was slightly annoying, so got a good walk. Lovely touch to have the water and watermelon station! Very enjoyable all in all.

• Like 1

Hamster

AGL for us too, thought it was an excellent well balanced shoot with some very tricky targets, I shot 11 stands like a demon with only three away which included straights on the platform 😎  and the long looper + rabbit thing and only one away on the tough top stand with going away orange and green targets but sadly shot stand 8 like a dickhead 😂 for FIVE lost! Kept killing the first (front) crosser then missing the 2nd also crossing bird, thought that the second bird would need no more lead than the first as it was by then beginning to resemble a quartering bird but pretty sure now that it needed another foot or so than what I gave them, tried to make amends by killing the back bird first on my last pair and missed both for 92 - coulda shoulda woulda been a class score but hey not unhappy at all given some stands could have cost me more than they did. 

We got there early so we could be away quick but hadn't reckoned on TWO cars deciding to block my mates car in ! Spent an hour or more tracking them down and of course both blamed the other driver and neither even apologised, one guy seemed to think being "disturbed" as he was about to shoot his stand was off putting ! Not half as off putting as having to walk an hour to find yoose. How people can be so thoughtless is beyond me, there is a designated overflow car park so people don't have to park on the main track into the ground and as for literally parking IN the car park in such a way as to make it impossible for others to reverse, the mind boggles. 

• Like 1

Bebo

Not long home from AGL as well. I was doing OK until stand 8, which I totally effed up for a grand score of 1. Picked up again after that and retrieved the position a bit until going back to shoot Stand 7, which we'd skipped due to a big queue. Made mincemeat of the looper only to keep missing the lr floating in crosser. Wasn't until the last pair when I decided to take it well out in front of me, where I turned it into smoke. 12 away on thise two stands to finish on a 70.

C+ Can do better.

• Thanks 2

woody

AGL for me with @Bebo. I cant shoot for sh!t at the moment but that's OK because shooting isn't really on my agenda. I was just happy to be off work :)

Big fat zero on stand 8. No idea, and a 1 on the stand shooting the blaze and green away. 

Very dissapointing because I was gonna say a Hello to Hamid but didn't see him. Had I known he took an extended break in the car park I'd have introduced myself. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Will Hewland
12 minutes ago, woody said:

AGL for me with @Bebo. I cant shoot for sh!t at the moment but that's OK because shooting isn't really on my agenda. I was just happy to be off work :)

Big fat zero on stand 8. No idea, and a 1 on the stand shooting the blaze and green away. 

Very dissapointing because I was gonna say a Hello to Hamid but didn't see him. Had I known he took an extended break in the car park I'd have introduced myself. 

Which was 8? Oh the sim l-r high crossers? My worst stand also, dropped three. Bloke in front of me blanked it too, so not on your own. I saw three feet on the near target and 6 on the other. 

buze

Nice to see you today @Will Hewland and @Hamster -- I did OK on the first part, then we had a break to walk the pup and I wasn't so 'hot' on the second part somehow. Since it's my first sporting in nearly a year -- with a broken toe (got I LOVED climbing that hill!), I can't complain too much really. Ended with 83. A few (too many) silly little mistakes but no real drama.

uAJEHLC.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hamster

Good day for me at Greenfields, nice tricky layout so happy with my 96 which matched George 😜 , next highest was 93 as I left but more to come in. 

• Like 3

Bebo

Gatton Bottom and a good day for me today as well.  Started well getting all the long crossers on Stand 1 (but missing one of the soppy incomers).  Stand 2 was definitely set to suit those of a shorter stature.  Didn't appear from behind the tree canopy until it was dropping if you were more than my five foot three and a half and I saw several shooters struggle with it.  Shot fairly consistently, not dropping more than 1 or 2 per stand until Stand 11.  Uphill rabbit, which caused me no issue at all, and a soft right to left teal - missed three of those over the top!  But for that it would have been a new PB.  Still not unhappy with an 86, which is my best score of 2019 so far.

I accidentally managed to buy a car on the way home as well.  Is 51 too old for a mid-life crisis? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

donna
2 hours ago, Bebo said:

Gatton Bottom and a good day for me today as well.  Started well getting all the long crossers on Stand 1 (but missing one of the soppy incomers).  Stand 2 was definitely set to suit those of a shorter stature.  Didn't appear from behind the tree canopy until it was dropping if you were more than my five foot three and a half and I saw several shooters struggle with it.  Shot fairly consistently, not dropping more than 1 or 2 per stand until Stand 11.  Uphill rabbit, which caused me no issue at all, and a soft right to left teal - missed three of those over the top!  But for that it would have been a new PB.  Still not unhappy with an 86, which is my best score of 2019 so far.

I accidentally managed to buy a car on the way home as well.  Is 51 too old for a mid-life crisis? 

Well done! You’re never too old for a mid life crisis. 🤣

• Like 1

buze

Accidentally buying cars is pretty much normal really, I see nothing wrong with that. It's like the odd shotgun.

I shot Flighline 80 birds this morning. It was a bit so-so, quite a few stands with just one trap, which I find a bit boring. And at least 3 or 4 were of the 'DTL grade' sort of 'going away edge on' birds. Didn't do fantastic, but I blame it on the broken toe.

• Like 1

Sian
4 hours ago, Bebo said:

I accidentally bought a car when I couldn’t go shooting one day.

Southdown for us, Sportrap - my brain did not function today, bad choices on my sims and generally a tw*t.  Three goes on the pool shoot which was a good one before Sporting probably not a wise choice.  I did really well on some challenging stands and then missed stupid orange floaty things.  Onwards.

• Like 1

Will Hewland

Southdown. Shot sporting fairly well except one awful stand, the green away and the teal. Ridiculous 2/8. Finished 84. HG was 93 I think, so wasn’t easy. 

STR 83 with some more daft misses. 23 on first and last layouts. Enjoyable though..

• Like 2

Spr1985

I also shot Southdown yesterday with my brother who’s just got into it all with me, enjoyable day finishing on 44. Although having the kids with me did nothing for my concentration 😐

F255D38C-2601-4E0C-B09F-153CD32C8D05.jpeg

Sian
7 hours ago, Spr1985 said:

I also shot Southdown yesterday with my brother who’s just got into it all with me, enjoyable day finishing on 44. Although having the kids with me did nothing for my concentration 😐

F255D38C-2601-4E0C-B09F-153CD32C8D05.jpeg

I do believe we were ahead and behind you on a few stands.

bisondan
20 hours ago, Will Hewland said:

Southdown. Shot sporting fairly well except one awful stand, the green away and the teal. Ridiculous 2/8. Finished 84. HG was 93 I think, so wasn’t easy. 

STR 83 with some more daft misses. 23 on first and last layouts. Enjoyable though..

I missed 4 on there and finished on 81; that included missing 3 on stand 2 and 5 on 4 which was that horrible sim pair.

Shot the sportrap well enough; 21, 20, 23, 24 for 88

• Like 1

Spr1985
7 hours ago, Sian said:

I do believe we were ahead and behind you on a few stands.

Quite possibly, I had two kids in tow (apologies if they disturbed you...I know they disturbed me 😐 ) 3 if you count my younger brother. I was wearing orange skeet vest and orange hat 

Sian
6 hours ago, Spr1985 said:

Quite possibly, I had two kids in tow (apologies if they disturbed you...I know they disturbed me 😐 ) 3 if you count my younger brother. I was wearing orange skeet vest and orange hat 

😂 not at all, they were fine.  Won’t be too long and they’ll want a go.

Spr1985

My little girl has already shot a .410 she loved it and now keeps banging on about getting a pink gun of her own (she’s 4)  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Doug Pinnegar

I shot the masters Comapk at Doveridge on Sunday; really enjoyable shoot and a discipline I need to practice more. Ended on 82 which in that game, even in C class, is about 10 light 🤣

Today is the first actually summers day (judging by the weather out of the window) for the Ian Coley summer series. Looking forward to shooting it.

Will Hewland

I did Coleys today. We started on stand 7 and after about 4 stands I really wasn’t feeling complimentary about the course. Close, fiddly, slow-hanging etc. Just didn’t feel rewarding to shoot and was hard to shoot well too. Thankfully the rest of the course was much better and felt how it should to me.

I have my usual tales of woe, the most notable being stand 1 where I had smashed the first 3 pairs then a slightly low teal put me off and I missed the pair. Then another last bird as I was frustrated. Also a bouncing rabbit which just didn’t bounce for anybody else. Grr.. Finished on 87. I would think HG should be 95 or 96.

GlawsterOldCodger
2 hours ago, Will Hewland said:

I did Coleys today. We started on stand 7 and after about 4 stands I really wasn’t feeling complimentary about the course. Close, fiddly, slow-hanging etc. Just didn’t feel rewarding to shoot and was hard to shoot well too. Thankfully the rest of the course was much better and felt how it should to me.

I have my usual tales of woe, the most notable being stand 1 where I had smashed the first 3 pairs then a slightly low teal put me off and I missed the pair. Then another last bird as I was frustrated. Also a bouncing rabbit which just didn’t bounce for anybody else. Grr.. Finished on 87. I would think HG should be 95 or 96.

Coleys also, sunny day and very decent chums in squad, we started on 9 as you say fiddly stuff that for me caught the sun, direct sun + prescription glasses = not pleasant, our squad was a 6, the following squad a 5, said squad soon caught up the "spare" stand and we were constantly treated to both a second set of clays in air and the sight of this squad moving around within ones broader gaze, not that our ref nor the ref on following squad really gave a fig, we were to have that sort of day, another oddity was watching squads shoot a r-l rabbit followed by a l-r incoming crosser, only to also see on same stand squads shoot it as a l-r crosser than a r-l rabbit very odd indeed. 

The heat must have got to the clays as our happy squad did mange to rack up the no-birds, everyone suffered.

Will take hat off to Joe Hale 91 & the glamorous Zea 77, as for HG that went to Grant Pendleton 94, which was 5 clays short of the prediction of one former coach.

Many had a good day, overall can't say I did, it is however my "on doorstep ground" so will return, its just days like this make it hard work to really enjoy & smile through the needless difficulties, if I lived hours away I might view it differently.

GT2
Posted (edited)

Also shot Coley’s. Ended up on 93. Good group of blokes and quite enjoyed the round. Nothing needing much of a gap but got caught by a couple of the slow dollies shooting way in front.

Got a bit of last clay syndrome missing the last bird on 4 stands!

Set off at 12pm on stand 1 so didn’t have any trouble with the sun which was helpful. Not sure what scores were or HG, imagine a 96 or thereabouts would do it. 

Edited by GT2
  • Like 1

Will Hewland
14 minutes ago, GT2 said:

Also shot Coley’s. Ended up on 93. Good group of blokes and quite enjoyed the round. Nothing needing much of a gap but got caught by a couple of the slow dollies shooting way in front.

Got a bit of last clay syndrome missing the last bird on 4 stands!

Set off at 12pm on stand 1 so didn’t have any trouble with the sun which was helpful. Not sure what scores were or HG, imagine a 96 or thereabouts would do it. 

I wished I’d started on stand 1. I hate shooting the fiddly edgey stuff first. 94 HG. Some good names struggled. 

Westward
2 hours ago, GlawsterOldCodger said:

our squad was a 6, the following squad a 5, said squad soon caught up the "spare" stand and we were constantly treated to both a second set of clays in air and the sight of this squad moving around within ones broader gaze, not that our ref nor the ref on following squad really gave a fig, we were to have that sort of day, another oddity was watching squads shoot a r-l rabbit followed by a l-r incoming crosser, only to also see on same stand squads shoot it as a l-r crosser than a r-l rabbit very odd indeed.

None of which should have happened. At the morning briefing and walk round the refs were told to keep back and maintain the 2 stand gap between squads to avoid overflying clays. Your ref should have asked the following ref to keep clear until your squad had cleared the stand.

We also questioned Matt about the couple of stands had the menu order the opposite of the handset buttons and again we were clearly told to fire A then B regardless of the menu order.

I'll mention all this to Matt next time I see him.

• Thanks 1