Will Hewland

Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Will Hewland

Also we had a first time scorer who had not been trained properly. Not good enough for a registered shoot, especially at a top ground like Ian Coleys.  

donna
On 3/3/2019 at 7:15 PM, Bebo said:

Saw the forecast, stayed home.

Us too 😂

GlawsterCodger
1 hour ago, Will Hewland said:

Hmm, that was a bit different at Coleys today. Weather wise we got wet initially then got lucky with a dry patch.

The course was odd. We started on about stand 4? Lots of edgey fiddly stuff until about stand 9 or 10. Hard to straight. Some conventionally tougher longer stands later. I was glad to straight the long battue (hard to see) and high crosser on stand 1 was it? But then I totally misread - and overlead- the orange quartering away on the sim pair. Never touched it. Had a go after and smashed it with half the lead. Idiot! Just didn’t spot it was quartering. Ruined a decent card dropping all 5. Finished on 85. Personally I would hope the course next time resembles more what they did last summer. 

Coleys also, no rain but the forecast 🌪💨winds did wobble a number of clays, the “in the wide open up in the air” targets on st1 & st2 the worse,  the duck a close third. Not too sure what to think of the course today, areas where wind would not have affected targets may one feels have been made more use of? That said Im no setter and getting it right against such a forecast must have been difficult, on today nor am I any great shakes with gun in hand as I made more 🤡 errors than Id like to have done, that I am putting it down to the weather 😉

HG Nick Chipper Portlock 96, thats 👏 v good there today

• Like 2

Westward

Personally I would hope the course next time resembles more what they did last summer. 

Was the course set by Mark Marshall Will? From your description it sounds very like a Jim French set up.

Will Hewland
2 minutes ago, Westward said:

Was the course set by Mark Marshall Will? From your description it sounds very like a Jim French set up.

I’m told it was by MM

Doug Pinnegar

There were some presentations there that I’ve not seen there before so the change was good. I enjoyed the targets as I rarely shoot stuff going down banks etc; I would say that a course like that would get tedious if it’s the same style for the whole series.

I let clumsy ones go across the whole shoot, only straighting 2 stands. Ended on 79 which I think means there will be an envelope next visit which is refreshing.

GT2

Shot Coley's too. First comp of the year ended up on 80.

Two bad stands early on then silly singles dropped across the course but not too bad for the first hit out and with a new gun.

Wind and rain made it trickier, looking at scores only two in the 90's. 

Lots of close quick little targets, almost snap shooting at times, easily but inexplicably missed.

Quite enjoyable all the same, looking forward to the next!

Will Hewland

Just back from EJC. I did go accepting that this was unlikely to be an easy affair, but was a bit disappointed to see such a firm course in the absolute gales. It would have been a superb firm course on a still day. I really think they could have backed it off given the wind.

Conditions were better before 10am where some reasonable scores came in, but Richard Faulds 91 in the best part of the day tells you a lot. Next up was my buddy Paul Finney on 86. I will be surprised if anybody gets past 90 during the rest of the day unless the wind drops right off.

Starting at 10.30, I began OK, then had a poor middle and was 20 away with four stands to go. I did make a decision to change my shooting style and get much quicker to beat the wind. I’m not saying I could have transformed my total shoot but I did manage to miss only one clay in the last four stands with this approach. Damage was done though, so 79. I did at least remind myself how much a style change can suit the conditions, so it made the day worthwhile. 

• Thanks 2

Sian

Just back from EJC. I did go accepting that this was unlikely to be an easy affair, but was a bit disappointed to see such a firm course in the absolute gales. It would have been a superb firm course on a still day. I really think they could have backed it off given the wind.

Conditions were better before 10am where some reasonable scores came in, but Richard Faulds 91 in the best part of the day tells you a lot. Next up was my buddy Paul Finney on 86. I will be surprised if anybody gets past 90 during the rest of the day unless the wind drops right off.

Starting at 10.30, I began OK, then had a poor middle and was 20 away with four stands to go. I did make a decision to change my shooting style and get much quicker to beat the wind. I’m not saying I could have transformed my total shoot but I did manage to miss only one clay in the last four stands with this approach. Damage was done though, so 79. I did at least remind myself how much a style change can suit the conditions, so it made the day worthwhile. 

I agree.  The grouse butt dot that if it divebombed was not very visible against the background. Some stands the clay would present 4 different ways.  Stand 12 with the limey coloured thing and the orange battue - I scored 9 missing my last lime one as I went to shoot and it just took off straight up like a rocket.   one man had it come back behind him.   I started badly grumbled, accepted it was a waste of time to care and was glad to finish.  67.  

• Thanks 3

Will Hewland

I’m getting fed up with the gales especially after Thursday at EJC. Forecast for Owls Lodge now 42mph this morning, so mission on hold. Possible pm trip, if there aren’t 250 entries clogging it up..

P1Fanatic
1 minute ago, Will Hewland said:

I’m getting fed up with the gales especially after Thursday at EJC. Forecast for Owls Lodge now 42mph this morning, so mission on hold. Possible pm trip, if there aren’t 250 entries clogging it up..

I’m standing there waiting to start. Met office says 25mph winds by 11 but feels that already tbh.

antse7en
Just now, Will Hewland said:

Snap, Will. 

I shot yesterday up at Kibworth so my shooting bug may hold off until tomorrow... although that doesn’t look too promising either. 

As you say if afternoon perks up I’ll get over to Owls. 

• Thanks 1

Will Hewland
8 minutes ago, P1Fanatic said:

I’m standing there waiting to start. Met office says 25mph winds by 11 but feels that already tbh.

BBC says 42mph. One mate just told me he’s going to do pool shoot and come home.. I’ll probably buy £40 worth of lottery tickets instead. Better probability of a hit. 😆

• Haha 1

P1Fanatic
14 minutes ago, Will Hewland said:

BBC says 42mph. One mate just told me he’s going to do pool shoot and come home.. I’ll probably buy £40 worth of lottery tickets instead. Better probability of a hit. 😆

I already lost my scorecard to the wind. On number two .. 

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Will Hewland

I just LOVE the way the weather is tailor made for the exact shooting times at the moment. This is Westfield tomorrow.

2DA9E37B-F4FC-4008-AA66-416AFB76C802.png

P1Fanatic

Its deffo picked up at Owls. Hard to stand up steady at the mo.

• Sad 1

wynno

Cancelled my outing to gunsite tomorrow, weather looks horrendous.

so I’m going to stay in, watch France smash Ireland and open a bottle of

red to go with the beef casserole..... bookings taken.....

bisondan

The wind at Owls was mental this morning, everything being blown all over the place which was a real shame as without the breeze it would have been a good shoot.

Tomorrow forecast is even worse so I'm not going anywhere, the fun element disappeared very quickly today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spr1985

Owls was diabolical today! No two targets the same, full traps being blown over, referees loosing score cards left right and centre, shooters loosing hats to the wind. 6’2” 17stone of me getting blown about at points......all good fun though 😂🤣

• Thanks 1

jasper

I'm sure Sean will set his gunsite course for tomorrow with the wind in mind. Get our there.😁

Jasper.

P1Fanatic

I know Mr Myers is a machine but 98 is insane! Although does sound like the wind died off with 95 8 points clear at the top until right at the end when another 8 scores popped up.

• Thanks 1

Will Hewland

Horne is cancelled today for the high winds. I can’t see how any shoot can work, because the gusts are so fierce. You can’t set up for that surely.

• Thanks 1

schmokinn
2 hours ago, Will Hewland said:

Horne is cancelled today for the high winds. I can’t see how any shoot can work, because the gusts are so fierce. You can’t set up for that surely.

Didn't bother with Owls yesterday as the wind and the prospect of a huge herd of people put me off so local club shoot with some proper targets even more challenging with the wind effect fitted in nicely.

Was going to go to Gunsite today but the prospect of driving 1.5hrs to shoot with the wind howling a constant 35mph plus put me off,shame as i love Shauns' targets 😥

• Thanks 1

Ferret

Shot at Owls yesterday - believe me there were some challenging targets not withstanding the weather. Certainly a few stands more challenging than on some days - a couple of midi's with the wind up their tail concentrated the mind somewhat. The general consensus seemed to be everyone who shot prior to 1:30 to 2 ish were 8 to 10 clays down on a normal day - some big names scores certainly reflected that - Ricky Drapers score of 95 was truly outstanding in those conditions. The wind then eased up somewhat after 2 so anyone shooting then chose correctly as top of the leaderboard changed somewhat. Thoroughly enjoyed the day and to be honest didn't queue unduly long as we decided to start on stand 4, then come back to 1, 2 and 3 which was a good choice as hardly any one on them later. Really strong wind and shooting aren't a good mix that's for sure but I reckon Richard and his staff did a pretty good job in the circumstances. Decided to stay home today as didn't fancy two  skin peeling day's on the trot at Gunsite 😂😂

• Like 1

jasper
6 hours ago, Will Hewland said:

It seems that Sean can. Gunsite was thoroughly well thought out and enjoyable to shoot. Massive well-done to the team at gunsite. Yes windy . Made some targets tricky. But did not punish the c class . Quite a feat. As stated before , the best target setter around at the mo. In all conditions. 😉

Jasper.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1