Winter shooting.....

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skeetfreak

Sure this will have been raised before but i cannot for the life of me find it.

I follow the "sporting shoots - where & how" thread as it is good to get a different view on grounds i have not been to for years or new grounds vs peoples experiences. There does seem to be common theme on there at present. Cold, wet, windy, muddy and not shooting as well as people normally do. 

I know it is not what the grounds want to hear but..... i have always taken a winter break (certainly from skeet which is my passion in shooting) i may possibly shoot on nice days at other disciplines for a giggle if i am not busy doing other stuff. I mistakenly shot a lot of sporting over winter last year and i found it sapped my enthusiasm come the spring to get out and practice and get competition ready. So much so i did not shoot any major shoots in 2017 i just stayed local nearly all year.

I have never historically got involved in the "winter series" format as i just do not get much (if any) enjoyment out of shooting in the freezing cold, wet, battling muddy tracks into shooting grounds. Battling low sun in your eyes at wind affected targets.

So this year i have reverted to type - gun got fully deep cleaned on the 2nd Dec. It is currently in bits with the stock off and i am doing a full wood strip back and repair / re-oil. That is going to take a number of weeks to get to the level of finish i want and will be happy with. I very much doubt i will shoot much (if anything) prior to Easter. I am spending my winter doing jobs around the house and garage plus as it warms up the garden a little bit aswell.

I know it sounds odd coming on a shooting forum and posting about not shooting but i find it leaves me refreshed and keen to shoot come the spring / summer. Plus of course saves a pile of cash to spend / shoot in nice weather. 

Those of you who do shoot every week / every opportunity - what is it that drives you to do so? Is it habit? Is it pure love of the sport and you cannot imagine a free day not shooting?

Those of you who stop and then restart in spring - what is your motivation? How do you get going again in terms of practice? Have you always done this and why?

I used to shoot trap all year but stopped shooting in winter about four years ago when I realised it was a habit and I didn't actually enjoy it much. Plus it ruined my average. As you know I don't shoot competitively anymore and do very little clay and none in winter. Shooting game in bad weather is the norm so not much choice.

Shooting game in bad weather is the norm so not much choice.
Probably why i never took to game shooting. Tried it found it pretty much no fun and did not appeal to me..... probably for the very same wintery reasons.

ha, yes it is a serious drawback that game season is in the winter ?

I follow the "sporting shoots - where & how" thread as it is good to get a different view on grounds i have not been to for years or new grounds vs peoples experiences. There does seem to be common theme on there at present. Cold, wet, windy, muddy and not shooting as well as people normally do. 
and that’s why I don’t shoot sporting. I couldn’t have put it better myself!

ha, yes it is a serious drawback that game season is in the winter ?
You have NOT seen a 'Winter' yet  !

Coming originally from a game shooting background, I found it easy to shoot clays in winter too. There is so much 'Technical' clothing around now, coupled with 11/12 degree temps. that 'Winter' shooting has become far more comfortable than using the 'best' gear from the local Army Surplus store.  Apart from that, I find that meeting the other 'wrinkleys' on a Sunday morning at the local ground far preferable to a trip to bloody Tesco's  !     :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Mud isn’t a problem if you shoot decent grounds and wear wellies. A fair degree of cold isn’t a problem if you have the right clothing. Low winter sun is rarely an issue at decent grounds as the course setters allow for it. I avoid very windy days and wet days, but this means I miss very few events per year. Jan, I don’t think you would have a civility issue with the grounds I go to..

Because i love it,once shot Purbeck in the pouring rain with wind that was blowing the cages over.....Twice.

One of the group thought he had a problem with his beretta as it seemed to keep opening slightly,it was his hand sliding up and pushing the lever as the recoil was to much for his grip! ;)

Mud isn’t a problem if you shoot decent grounds and wear wellies. A fair degree of cold isn’t a problem if you have the right clothing. Low winter sun is rarely an issue at decent grounds as the course setters allow for it. I avoid very windy days and wet days, but this means I miss very few events per year. Jan, I don’t think you would have a civility issue with the grounds I go to..
NO, I am uoooop North  !        :angel:

I shoot all year round, all weathers and yes it affects my scores and I shoot when I don’t feel a 100% as I have the last three weeks which really did my scores no good.   It’s my thing, I love it.  I’ve  only missed one Sunday in just over 5 years.  I like being outdoors.  For Tony Sunday is his shooting day, he rarely gets to shoot a week day so only death would stop him.

I shoot all year round, all weathers and yes it affects my scores and I shoot when I don’t feel a 100% as I have the last three weeks which really did my scores no good.   It’s my thing, I love it.  I’ve  only missed one Sunday in just over 5 years.  I like being outdoors.  For Tony Sunday is his shooting day, he rarely gets to shoot a week day so only death would stop him.
Not quite as brave as Sian as poor weather will put me off, unless its a booked squadded shoot that is. Still have a deep joy / pleasure when out shooting so no not planning to put gun away / feet up at all. 

I envy you guys. What a luxury problem you have.,the weather determin if you go shooting or not.

Here in Denmark most grounds shut down from October to February (very select few close down 1st of December). So very few options to shoot, and if possibly it's a drive at least 2 hours in each direction. That's the downside to most grounds are run voluntarily by local hunting clubs, they are all out shooting birds :smile: . 

And anyway OT is under cover, so only problem is hands are getting cold :wink:

I very rarely miss a days shooting due to the weather but have to admit giving Southdown a miss on Thursday because it was obvious from the forecast that my score would be below the cut off point and with a four hour return drive the thought of paying £45 to freeze didn't appeal, friends who went described it as their worst days shooting ever. 

I too gave Southdown a miss earlier this week.  Stupidly went and shot a flush at Willow Farm, icy wind made it absolutely miserable.  Was going to go up to West Kent for a bit of practice today, but the rain has put me off.  In the past I've hated not shooting when I've had the opportunity, but I've decided in 2018 I'm not going to travel for Reg shoots where the forecast is for temperatures, below 6 degrees, wind more than 25mph or peeing down with rain.

I too gave Southdown a miss earlier this week.  Stupidly went and shot a flush at Willow Farm, icy wind made it absolutely miserable.  Was going to go up to West Kent for a bit of practice today, but the rain has put me off.  In the past I've hated not shooting when I've had the opportunity, but I've decided in 2018 I'm not going to travel for Reg shoots where the forecast is for temperatures, below 6 degrees, wind more than 25mph or peeing down with rain.
2 degrees in the sun with low wind is fine. Done a couple of those lately.

Your all hardier than me......

It needs to be double digits temps, not windy and dry.

I have in the past done my fair share of shooting in the opposite of the above but i just do not have the commitment now. Plus i think it comes with the territory of shooting a fixed discipline. I also think shooting abroad has had an impact - its so much nicer shooting in shorts and a T-Shirt with your gear.

No one seems to be taking into account the likely brain damage that most British shooters have accumulated thru hypothermia.  Or simply by having their brains rattled by shooting ill-fitting guns and Kreighoffs. 

Which reminds me - - whatever has become of Rosso?  I always enjoyed his delightfully inane comments.

No one seems to be taking into account the likely brain damage that most British shooters have accumulated thru hypothermia.  Or simply by having their brains rattled by shooting ill-fitting guns and Kreighoffs. 

Which reminds me - - whatever has become of Rosso?  I always enjoyed his delightfully inane comments.
I think the Parrot had him for Christmas Dinner  !     :eek:

Latest posts

Back