which magazine ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WezC

Was thinking of subscribing to a magazine for some reading and pretty pictures of things to spend money on in the future. I intend to shoot all types of clay, but never any real birds.

Which magazines are out there and worth reading every month ?

Wez.

www.wezmoto.co.uk

Was thinking of subscribing to a magazine for some reading and pretty pictures of things to spend money on in the future. I intend to shoot all types of clay, but never any real birds.

Wez.

www.wezmoto.co.uk
Clayshooting!!

None of them!

Get down to the local clayshooting ground, have a look on the coffee tables or benches and you will find lots of them, all with the pre-paid standard adverts that keep these magazines going.

Has Vic Harker or Michael Yardley ever tested a bad gun? Every cartridge tested is brilliant, every shooting coat is the best ever made. Save your magazine money and buy a box of cartridges.

Many magazines can be read on line, bingle (I used bingle, but other search engines are available, like bing), clayshooting usa.com.

None of them!

Get down to the local clayshooting ground, have a look on the coffee tables or benches and you will find lots of them, all with the pre-paid standard adverts that keep these magazines going.

Has Vic Harker or Michael Yardley ever tested a bad gun? Every cartridge tested is brilliant, every shooting coat is the best ever made. Save your magazine money and buy a box of cartridges.

Many magazines can be read on line, bingle (I used bingle, but other search engines are available, like bing) (I used bingle (I used bingle, but other search engines are available, like bing), but other search engines are available, like bing), clayshooting usa.com.

Aye, sounds about right to me. Anything ever tested is just wonderful,

Phil*

I will confess to sometimes reading Clay Shooting magazine. I know what the above guys mean with regard to gun and shell reviews. I don't recall ever reading a review that totally slated a gun or a shell. At the end of the day, gun and shell reviews are not to be taken too seriously anyway, either good or bad, because such reviews are merely the opinion of the person doing the review. ;)

I have been writing for a number of years for MB, re Clayshooting USA and a few years ago Clayshooting. He does not censor my writing as well as the other writers. He did allow valid criticism by us of a product or shoot. We just had to word properly as not to be overly offensive. if you read it properly, one would see the problem with the gun, cartridge or shoot. He is the only one since The Clay Pigeon that has allowed us that freedom to write.

Henry

The real issue here is that nearly all the products on test have numerous paid for adverts.

Slag a product off truthfully and you effectively cut off your revenue. Remember advertisement sales far outstrip readers sales.

Perhaps if the writer used the words 'personally I found the ********* awful but that may not be your experience' we could then begin to understand.

Cartridge tests for instance, how much better would it be to say 'I tried brand X under similar conditions to those I shot my usual choice of cartridge in and found them to be brilliant with far better breaks, but whether they are worth an extra £60 a thousand than my favourites is debatable'

' I found the gun to be very poorly finished, but was assured that this had been noted and would be rectified on production guns'

You really do have to 'read' between the lines to actually understand what is being said.

Having said that, i probably buy one a year just to remind myself 'not' to buy any more.

There is plenty of info on the 'net'.

I may not be popular by saying this but here goes.... too many articles for new shooters and young shooters and not enough write ups on stuff us old timers want to read about, I would like to see a mag aimed more at the seasoned shooter (however there prob isnt enough of us left to buy it). I would like to see articles on

shoot /comp reviews

articles grounds abroad such as trap concaverde

articles about shooters trips and experiences to the above

write ups on classic guns (for instance early 682, winchester etc) and how they have stood up over years of use

comparisons of classic guns (ie as above) to the modern equivelent better, worse build quality etc

write ups of classic comps such as the Rolex at sealand (yes I know its been done on occasions but not regularly)

articles on practical stuff like staying fit enough to shoot when your old and knackered

Yes i know that all the above can and is discussed at length by us boring old gits every weekend but so is everything else written in mags

Motorsport magazine looks solely at the sport from the perspective of heritage, history etc. This is perfect for you, just the wrong sport!

I may not be popular by saying this but here goes.... too many articles for new shooters and young shooters and not enough write ups on stuff us old timers want to read about, I would like to see a mag aimed more at the seasoned shooter (however there prob isnt enough of us left to buy it). I would like to see articles on

shoot /comp reviews

articles grounds abroad such as trap concaverde

articles about shooters trips and experiences to the above

write ups on classic guns (for instance early 682, winchester etc) and how they have stood up over years of use

comparisons of classic guns (ie as above) to the modern equivelent better, worse build quality etc

write ups of classic comps such as the Rolex at sealand (yes I know its been done on occasions but not regularly)

articles on practical stuff like staying fit enough to shoot when your old and knackered

Yes i know that all the above can and is discussed at length by us boring old gits every weekend but so is everything else written in mags
Yes Ian, it would be nice to see some reviews of classic guns I must say! Not only that mate, but some of us are still using what must almost be classics now (3800 almost 22 years old now). :D

If anyone wants to write and contribute these reviews - I will gladly publish them on ShootClay for a wider audience... I'm redesigning the main shootclay site right now to give way more space for contributed articles, I'd be happy for any contributions...

Yes Ian, it would be nice to see some reviews of classic guns I must say! Not only that mate, but some of us are still using what must almost be classics now (3800 almost 22 years old now). :D
I just have a browse through my old clay mags from years ago. More info and not so many adverts!!!!!!!!!!! Sad, but i hate to throw good stuff away.

They may save me a fortune in the future?

If only we were 22 again! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
well les, you could write the first article for shootclay on classic 3800 :)

Wez.

www.wezmoto.co.uk
if you really have to, then clayshooting - subscribe for one year then every month for the next umpteen years get out the relevant months copy and re read - pretty much amounts to re subscribing - same articles same reviews (insert cartridge/gun manufacturer) same letters page blah blah blah .................

GavB Just about sums it up, that freebie one you get at some clubs / grounds is about the best but no real good ones as far as I can see.

The best read and most informative and impartial advice on all aspects of clay shooting can be found on this forum. Some very knowledgable shooters and some good fun B-anter.

NOTE

admin- can I have a free mug ...... ta :wink:

I think magazines are great for people in their first couple of years. After that it does all tend to feel a bit repetitive. After all, this sport is not that technical compared to some. I get Clay Shooting on my iPad. Always excited to see a new one, but struggle not to speed through..

Latest posts

Back