What make of choke.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me I think you can't do better than the chokes you gun comes with! Changing you cartridges will have more effect than buying exspensive alternative chokes that do the same thing! It's all in the mind, even with extra bits sticking out the end of your barrels, you still miss the same!

The most useful element with aftermarket chokes is the different weight. Another way to adjust gun handling / feel. As for quality of pattern of like for like constriction , it may not be total cobblers, but it's close.

Last edited by a moderator:
im only a b class esp shooter  but when I watch the top boys and girls shooting great scores   never see them  choke changing ,  yes I know its all about skill etc , however one top esp shooter who  shoots orston often  told me  that he believes in shot string to kill the clays  or help him hit more  ,  said  tight chokes = longer shot string =  more forgiving on lead  etc ,   cant argue  he is one of the best .  !
I tend to swap my chokes quite a bit, primarily to give the top shots who don't more of a chance. 

I consider it a service really. 

The most useful element with aftermarket chokes is the different weight. Another way to adjust gun handling / feel. As for quality of pattern of like for like constriction , it may not be total cobblers, but it's close.
​Completely agree I've switched to Mullers in my Blaser and love them to death.

I think the patterns are a bit better - but £66 odd a choke better? Hard to tell. What is a massive difference is the balance of the gun which is much more as I like it.

Pete

​Completely agree I've switched to Mullers in my Blaser and love them to death.

I think the patterns are a bit better - but £66 odd a choke better? Hard to tell. What is a massive difference is the balance of the gun which is much more as I like it.
Unless you have the gun completely stripped of weight. Why not just move the stock balancing weights backwards? That's one of the beauties of a Blaser. £132 saved!

Different feel - I love the weights system and have moved them around a lot.

Removing the weight from the end of a 32 inch tube is a completely different to moving the weights in the stock or forend.

Put the weight much more between the hands - and sorry I sound like Vic saying that!

The weight at the muzzle is the most significant part of a guns mass IMO due to the inertia off the most moving part.  I'm a fan of the blaser weight system, but I reckon stock weight is mostly about getting a nice feel for when the gun is being mounted. It's all personal of course.

Well I know for me,that with weight out of the barrels,and the stock weights shifted back,it was whippy as hell. IMO,same effect as making the muzzles lighter.

im only a b class esp shooter  but when I watch the top boys and girls shooting great scores   never see them  choke changing ,  yes I know its all about skill etc , however one top esp shooter who  shoots orston often  told me  that he believes in shot string to kill the clays  or help him hit more  ,  said  tight chokes = longer shot string =  more forgiving on lead  etc ,   cant argue  he is one of the best .  !
​Actually, tighter chokes have shorter shotstrings. The shotstring continually evolves as the front pellets deflect air for the rear pellets. The air drag slows down the front pellets who then fall back into the faster pellets behind.

Henry

I have done a bit of testing of aftermarket chokes versus various Beretta chokes, over the past 25 years. Most aftermarket chokes are a few thou tighter. Muller does not use Cyl, IC or other names but uses numbers. If you measure them, they are all tighter than the norm. The large S/S chokes ad too much weight where you don't want it: at the extremities. You can get the dumbbell effect. The best feeling shotguns have the mass in between your hands. It is called " The moment of inertia". This is a scientific term from many years ago.

Testing the Beretta Optima HP flush LM (3/8) chokes versus several aftermarket chokes at a measured 35M, showed that the Beretta had more even patterns. There were large holes in one famous make that a clays could go through without a scratch. The flush chokes also made the DT11 a bit livelier. If Beretta can spend 120 million Euros in two years to revamp the whole production process, they can afford the 50 or so engineers that work on their product. Now ask how many worked on that aftermarket choke?

Henry

​Actually, tighter chokes have shorter shotstrings. The shotstring continually evolves as the front pellets deflect air for the rear pellets. The air drag slows down the front pellets who then fall back into the faster pellets behind.

Henry
This must be where you get the pellet-on from in cycling ??

Back