Trigger Freeze

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I said "buy" it can be in the same context of buying ajustable combs, recoil reduction a custom fit stock, etc and results will vary. However, for those who are losing 1-4 targets per hundred just because of trigger freeze they really can get an average boost.
I would perhaps agree with an increase if the loss was due to trigger freeze.

However, the "letter" you included in your earlier post quite categorically states that "he" improved his game due to the release trigger (One of the guys at the club where I shoot showed me how to use it. Bingo. Within a couple of rounds I was shooting better than I had ever shot before.) with no mention of trigger freeze.

This is the part that I am struggling to comprehend.

The release trigger makes sense to me because when you 'pull the trigger you're employing the muscles to create the action, with a release action you're not using any muscle movement at all you're relaxing them. Try it, clench your hand into a fist, now relax it, see your hand naturally opens out and would release the trigger.

Phil,

As stated earlier, when I got the release my averages went up unrelated to lost freeze targets. While I do not know the letter writer personally, based upon my own experience and the anecdotal experience of other people concerning increased averages for non freeze related release trigger users, I have no reason to doubt the letter writers comment.

I think one does have to accept, based upon the contentions made in the letter, that releasing a trigger has a significant biomechanical advantage over pulling a trigger. After all, pull triggers were originally adopted because they at least worked. Like so many other things, that doesn't mean they will always be best given advances in technology, materials and manufacturing.

I have given several shooters a short introduction, which takes about 5-10 targets, on how to shoot with a release and so far, they have all remarked how much easier they felt it was to acquire and shoot the target.

Phil,

As stated earlier, when I got the release my averages went up unrelated to lost freeze targets. While I do not know the letter writer personally, based upon my own experience and the anecdotal experience of other people concerning increased averages for non freeze related release trigger users, I have no reason to doubt the letter writers comment.

I think one does have to accept, based upon the contentions made in the letter, that releasing a trigger has a significant biomechanical advantage over pulling a trigger. After all, pull triggers were originally adopted because they at least worked. Like so many other things, that doesn't mean they will always be best given advances in technology, materials and manufacturing.

I have given several shooters a short introduction, which takes about 5-10 targets, on how to shoot with a release and so far, they have all remarked how much easier they felt it was to acquire and shoot the target.
I still don't get it, but each to their own I suppose.

I get that releasing a trigger takes less effort than pulling one, but I remain unconvinced that it will make a difference to a 'non freezing' shooter. I can't for the life of me see how the type of trigger makes it easier to acquire a target?  You either see it or you don't - nothing to do with the trigger.  Personally I think this element is perhaps all in the mind of the user - but so much of this sport is! ~And if it works for you then who am I to knock it.

I also get how easy they are to use, pull to set, release to fire.  If they were that advantageous to shooters and that good for improving scores, why are they not everywhere? I shoot regularly at 5 grounds and have never come across one!  I have however seen an electronic release system designed by and for a guy that had no fingers but a thumb.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are very prevalent in American Trap. I would say 20%+ of serious competition shooters use them. I think this has to do with the fact that trigger freeze seems to be more evidenced in American trap because of premountiung the gun and the number of shots fired in a given amount of time. Most users say that they don't experience freeze with low gun or when hunting. I don't hunt but I can shoot low gun just fine and I shoot a release/pull on doubles with no problem on the second shot. However, I have shot double release on doubles and it was very easy to adapt to resetting the trigger for the second shot.

As an anecdote, I personally know of one top level ATA shooter who after 35 years went from his traditional 98.5 average to 99.4 after installing a release.

YMMV

Dont experience freeze with low gun.

unquote

I believe ata is shot almost without exception with a high hold ambush technique, 20% you say use a release. I refer you to my 1st post re high hold.

I rest my case mi lud

Ha Ha Ha Ha. "Bunch of foreigners" and "Finding the deodorant aisle"

I love you Americans! :biggrin:   I can see some of you are not keen on us?

You do love your release triggers though. Obviously a preference to do things backwards?

Must be strange things happen when you cross the Atlantic. Mirror world is about right Wonko. Spot on!   :sarcastic:

Edit to insert smileys as I can't do them on my phone!

Last edited:
:fie:  And what are all of you release trigger experts going to do when the "Health and Safety Executive ban them in the UK?

I just had to take this over to the ATAer's.  As you can see it has made for a jolly time

http://www.trapshooters.com/threads/flinching-study.222435/

PS - I'll not bother to ask you to excuse some of the comments.  I hope that it is enough that I'm shamed by association
LAughing out Loud and I am only on the first page.... Particularly like this bit where us foreigners smell it seems.... :laugh:

"Who cares what a bunch of foreigners think about release triggers. When they learn how to find the deodorant aisle in a supermarket I may pay attention. In the meantime me and the rest of shooters who actually shoot and shoot release will eat their lunch!!"

Off now to read some more.....

Oooops sorry....just seen someone else found that funny....sorry for repeating No1TD

:fie:  And what are all of you release trigger experts going to do when the "Health and Safety Executive ban them in the UK?
Callate .... Guru....!!

Don't be boring now. :wink:

You have done that one to death.

The 'better alternative ratio' with the aerospace engineers is interesting and what they would give fighter pilots :wink:

Ah hahahaha .....I just got to the FOAD post and replies.... (my money is on the fact that Darkside has re-surfaced on a US forum :laugh:

Ah hahahaha .....I just got to the FOAD post and replies.... (my money is on the fact that Darkside has re-surfaced on a US forum :laugh:
Oh, look! It's that targetchip fellow who got banned from here. 

Banning release triggers completely will be hard because it could be argued it's discrimination against people with disabilities. Also you could put a side order of age discrimination in there. Like banning semi-autos, you need more reason than "People use them unsafely". 

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if the Yanks want to get personal !

How come they let us fight the Nazis on our own until the Nippons bombed Pearl Harbour, then they joined in the fray.

When it was all over they cherry picked the German scientists and used them in the Space race to try to beat communism.

We may well smell in the eyes of dumb and thick Yanks, but at least Shropshire Lads created the White House in Washington D.C. FACT

Read up on History Yankees . Ooops sorry I forgot you've only got three hundred years worth !

Well if the Yanks want to get personal !

How come they let us fight the Nazis on our own until the Nippons bombed Pearl Harbour, then they joined in the fray.

When it was all over they cherry picked the German scientists and used them in the Space race to try to beat communism.

We may well smell in the eyes of dumb and thick Yanks, but at least Shropshire Lads created the White House in Washington D.C. FACT

Read up on History Yankees . Ooops sorry I forgot you've only got three hundred years worth !
Did you spend long working in The Diplomatic Service??    :sarcastic:  

Oh dear....sloppy is off now with Guru as wingman......fingers on the USA / UK / release trigger defcom button

My video cam on their computers just sent this back....

108hduw.jpg

Stop now you old buggers before you hurt yourself ....or upset nursey....who will then have to give you one of these....

:nurse:   :nurse:   :nurse:   :nurse:   :nurse:

Back