tried my first couple of rounds of sporting.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shredder

Well as it was a nice day after shooting a few rounds of skeet at northampton I headed back to my local club and decided that I would try out the sporting layout. Only been shooting about 6 months and only had my skeet chokes with me. Hit a 21 out of 30 and a 23. Quite liked it and hit more than I thought I would. If I keep it up on sporting what are the best chokes to use. Quarter and a half?

Well as it was a nice day after shooting a few rounds of skeet at northampton I headed back to my local club and decided that I would try out the sporting layout. Only been shooting about 6 months and only had my skeet chokes with me. Hit a 21 out of 30 and a 23. Quite liked it and hit more than I thought I would. If I keep it up on sporting what are the best chokes to use. Quarter and a half?
1/4 and half is a decent choice for run of the mill sporting shooting. Enjoy.

Stuck imp cylinder and mod in to try.
To repeat a bit of generally agreed upon advice; when you are hitting 80% on a fairly firm course, maybe start worrying about chokes. Until then devote all mental energy towards technique and execution of it.

Sounds good to me. If I have no joy with them I will just stick my skeet and cylinder back in and leave them be :)

I would stick with the 1/4 and half. That way, you know you generally have enough choke to not have holes in the pattern, but nothing too tight either. Then forget chokes for a long long time.

When I had been shooting a short while, I put in some cylinder chokes thinking this would assist my accuracy errors. I didn't hit a barn door because I kept thinking the nice big pattern would bust the clays. Wrong! A bit more choke and it gave me a healthy dose of 'focus' towards pointing a denser pattern in the right place. A few years later I found a cartridge that really opened up. Whenever I used it on close stuff I usually missed. Same problem. YOU will hit the clays, not your chokes..

Sounds good to me. If I have no joy with them I will just stick my skeet and cylinder back in and leave them be :)
As has been said; contrary to what you might think, Open chokes are not "great" for sporting.  So use 1/4 & 1/4 or 1/4 & 1/2, or even 1/2 & 1/2  I use a pair of Muller U2's mainly, which are tight 1/4 and I do OK.

So that is ImpCyl and Mod or a pair of either.

Having read load on chokes including this:

http://www.thefield.co.uk/features/433449/The_Field_guide_to_shotgun_choke.html

I see a consistant message, repeated above which I will follow:

Choose something like 1/4 and 1/2 or 1/2 and 1/2. Mine is a fixed choke otherwise choose one set up and leave alone until you have gained experience.....lots of expericence. Otherwise you will get bogged down by science and not concentrate of hitting the target.

The above lesson I am learning from the wise ones on this forum and other research.

1/2 and 1/2 for sporting for me. I know then all I've got to think about is hitting the clay not changing chokes or barrel selector.

Latest posts

Back