Trap Difficulty

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think simbo had a idea all this would kick off.

In answer to his original post i would go

DTL and single barrel as a second shot on dtl is very bad.

ABT

UT

OT

DTL doubles

Double trap

This is my own opinion having tried them all,and coming from a sporting background.

I think simbo had a idea all this would kick off.

In answer to his original post i would go

DTL and single barrel as a second shot on dtl is very bad.

ABT

UT

OT

DTL doubles

Double trap

This is my own opinion having tried them all,and coming from a sporting background.
I find DTL doubles (double rise) more difficult than Double Trap. 

The reason being that the although quicker Double trap target are climbing for a lot longer. 

I have only shot ESP once and to be honest at that time I had never shot a clay target before. What I do remember though was that every stand on the course offered two targets and those same two presentations were shot five times and you got to see exactly what you were about to shoot up to 5 times depending on where you were in the squad. How many different targets do you normally get in a 50 or 100 target ESP ?
You do get the odd shoot 10 stands of 10 targets and probably more straw balers but most ESP shooters would find 10 stands of 10 a bit boring.  They can be on report, sim or following.  5, 4, 3 pairs I have even shot just 2 pairs.  We have even experienced 3 clays in the air, shoot 2 of them or the clay will be released when you shut your gun.  Most good shoots are at least 12 stands, some more and 120 birds/150 birds can be 18 stands.  Some comps like EJC challenge will have a few stands of ten birds, 3 on report pairs and 2 Simo.  Then the rest of the birds will be sequences, like they have you shooting off an elevated platform at targets below you.  Then they have the sequence of rabbits, doing different speeds and angles and distances, single and Simo and then a sequence of 20 longer, bigger targets.  Then RSBB will have their challenge with a 20 bird grouse sequence and you have a loader and the birds just come.  So in all it's very rarely boring or too simple.  Of course the different presentations and sizes and colours of clays adds to the enjoyment.  I'll not knock trap disciplines - all disciplines are important so that those of us that want to can dabble and everyone has something they really enjoy. 

I find DTL doubles (double rise) more difficult than Double Trap. 

The reason being that the although quicker Double trap target are climbing for a lot longer. 

You seem to find all targets difficult !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Simbo - it seems to me that you making your own assessment of each of the disciplines you mention would be far more valuable.

just sayin'

I'd go for Helice, at least you could become the 'County Champion' of any County you chose to be from, on the day  !        :rolleyes:

Hope Nicola is not reading this. Helice or ZZ is almost trick shooting by definition, the target is random (I believe) you may get sitters or almost unhitable ones. Not a very fair competition is it. Plus there are only 7 shooters throughout this Isle who shoot it.

Incoming, helmet on in anticipation.  Be gentle with me Nic.

It is fun to shoot and very addictive heavy loads and a quick response is required but sadly it takes a long time to shoot due to loading the targets.

With the greatest of respect to Helice shooters, I think it's fair to say the competition lies overseas. There's one of two that'll give it a go occasionally but in terms of those that shoot it competitively on a regular basis, you can probably count them on the fingers of 2 hands.

It's good fun though although I have to say, when I had a go, I didn't really get it.

With the greatest of respect to Helice shooters, I think it's fair to say the competition lies overseas. There's one of two that'll give it a go occasionally but in terms of those that shoot it competitively on a regular basis, you can probably count them on the fingers of 2 hands.

It's good fun though although I have to say, when I had a go, I didn't really get it.

When shot abroad its a all day affair its a wine and cheese party, 8 hours to shoot 20 birds !

ZZ are certainly the most difficult shotgun sport I've attempted.  I wouldn't call it trick shooting at all.  It does demand some skills tho and it is about as removed from fair as a craps game but no one complains that I've noticed.  The whining so intrinsic to trap and sporting is totally non-existent.  And in my limited experience I've never seen a sitter - every one of those things is a driver out of the box - and I can't imagine how the machine could even throw one.

It is fun to shoot and very addictive heavy loads and a quick response is required but sadly it takes a long time to shoot due to loading the targets.
The traps at rugby are auto loading so take no time at all to reload. Maybe 5 seconds. Still takes a while to shoot it though.

jimmymuller said:
For better performance, you should use right skeet shooting gun with best choke tubes. You should practice in the morning because practice makes man perfect. Before you go to skeet ground forget all other things and focus on the target. Best of luck for your competition.
Of course you need a skeet gun to shoot Helice ZZ,just like every other person shooting it....NOT!

Sounds like somebody copying and pasting crap and they never respond ...FFS the post is not even about skeet.

Of course you need a skeet gun to shoot Helice ZZ,just like every other person shooting it....NOT!

Sounds like somebody copying and pasting crap and they never respond ...FFS the post is not even about skeet.
looks like he shoots muller chokes. Say no more :)

jimmymuller said:
For better performance, you should use right skeet shooting gun with best choke tubes. You should practice in the morning because practice makes man perfect. Before you go to skeet ground forget all other things and focus on the target. Best of luck for your competition.

:lol:

It disappoints me that you all take such good and well intended advice so lightly.  I mean, who doesn't want to be perfect?

Ha.....Helice/ZZ isn't even trap.....should be in FITASC section!!!  :eek: :lol:

I've heard it's not cheap either! Not many grounds offer it, so another down side!

Back