popular ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well that proves it must be easy 100 people shooting 295 or better funny thing is British open sporting last year had over 1300 people shoot we didn't get 100 people shoot 118 ex 120 
​Two ways of looking at that statistic. The first way is that sporting is difficult because less than 100 from 1300  could not shoot better than 118ex120 the other that there are a lot of very poor shots in sporting! Another take on your theory that DTL is easy is that although 100 shot 295 at the DTL comp they won zip, nada, zilch so to win at DTL you have to be a very good shooter as dropping 5 points from a possible 300 is a complete disaster and you may not have even missed a target!

It is horses for courses but to label a discipline easy because you don't analyse the scores properly is absurd :)

I always wonder at the my dog is bigger than your dog discussions of shooting games.  It seems to me that the easiest criteria is how many targets does it take to determine a winner or how many targets is considered enough to even the playing field.  If you consider ZZ's and pigeons you find that the numbers drop drastically and with hand thrown pigeons it seldom takes more than ten to find a winner.

You want difficult?  Step into the ring.

just sayin' ...................................

Hmmmm....over 800 shooters, including the best in the world shot in Dubai this year and not one of them could crack 170 ex 200! So either they are all pretty rubbish or it is possible to set sporting targets that even the very best cannot hit consistently. 

DTL is not about extreme targets, it is about extreme concentration. You will notice that out of 400 entries only 4 scored 300 points!

DT

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that proves it must be easy 100 people shooting 295 or better funny thing is British open sporting last year had over 1300 people shoot we didn't get 100 people shoot 118 ex 120 
The skill set required for each discipline is completely different. A trap shooter probably wouldn't be able to win a major sporting event and vice versa.

Last edited by a moderator:
The skill set required for each discipline is completely different. A trap shooter probably wouldn't be able to win a major sporting event and vice versa.
Exactly this. Which is why they are called discplines.

Some may be easier to an individual than others, but that is what makes us all different.  None are easy per se.

Well that proves it must be easy 100 people shooting 295 or better
​This is nonsense, have you seen the scores at world level OT or indeed any other issf discipline ?

The fact that shooters at OT or DTL or any other discipline for that matter can put good / high scores in is because they are either gifted or put an awful lot of work into perfecting there game. 100 out of 500 ish people shooting 295 or over only confirms that we have some very very good DTL shooters and the thing about events such as the kreigof and the dougal is that the targets are usually very good and the whole event brings the best out of people.

Also worth mentioning is that todays standard of DTL means that a 295 isn't in reality going to get you very much, DTL is all about a perfect score and that is what keeps many people chomping at the bit, "DTL is easy" well I for one tip my hat at anyone who does a 300, I have shot DTL on and off for 30 yrs and the best I ever did was a 100-295.

I know some of us have a little mickey take out of each others chosen discipline from time to time but none of us old school actually mean anything by it. Any shooter who can shoot there chosen discipline well deserves a pat on the back not being told that the only reason they are good at it is because its easy.

Just saying

NOTE

No DTL shooters were harmed during this post.

Did I tell you lot that I love DTL  :kiss:   I just love it, so relaxing except when you get two new people who ask if they can shoot with you and shoot like they are quick off the draw and then spoil my rhythm and then one of them runs out of cartridges and disrupts the line and the flow ................. am I sounding more like a trappie than a hedge monkey now?  Seriously he knew he'd got it very wrong and to make up for it gave me the rest of his birds.  :D   

​This is nonsense, have you seen the scores at world level OT or indeed any other issf discipline ?

The fact that shooters at OT or DTL or any other discipline for that matter can put good / high scores in is because they are either gifted or put an awful lot of work into perfecting there game. 100 out of 500 ish people shooting 295 or over only confirms that we have some very very good DTL shooters and the thing about events such as the kreigof and the dougal is that the targets are usually very good and the whole event brings the best out of people.

Also worth mentioning is that todays standard of DTL means that a 295 isn't in reality going to get you very much, DTL is all about a perfect score and that is what keeps many people chomping at the bit, "DTL is easy" well I for one tip my hat at anyone who does a 300, I have shot DTL on and off for 30 yrs and the best I ever did was a 100-295.

I know some of us have a little mickey take out of each others chosen discipline from time to time but none of us old school actually mean anything by it. Any shooter who can shoot there chosen discipline well deserves a pat on the back not being told that the only reason they are good at it is because its easy.

Just saying

NOTE

No DTL shooters were harmed during this post.
​Ian, You and I, and a good many others know that DTL is a total mind game!!! As we know, a 295 in a major comp or even at some ordinary registered events, will get you nowhere near the top of the board! OK DTL targets may well be techinically easy to shoot, but we both know that trying to hit 100 of the buggers first barrel is no easy task at all. I take my hat off to guys such as Paul Chaplow and Ian Mullarkey who seem capable of hitting very high scores on an almost weekly basis!!!

Did I tell you lot that I love DTL  :kiss:   I just love it, so relaxing except when you get two new people who ask if they can shoot with you and shoot like they are quick off the draw and then spoil my rhythm and then one of them runs out of cartridges and disrupts the line and the flow ................. am I sounding more like a trappie than a hedge monkey now?  Seriously he knew he'd got it very wrong and to make up for it gave me the rest of his birds.  :D   
No.

Just more like ips 

????

To quote from an earlier post:-

" The skill set required for each discipline is completely different. A trap shooter probably wouldn't be able to win a major sporting event and vice versa."

Some of you that have only been shooting a relatively short time , may not be familiar with the names of Stanbury, and Wheater.

There used to be a young boy from Hampshire / Berkshire called Faulds who was quite good until he got married and his eyesight started to fail.

I certainly would risk an eye.

Back